Treasure on the Tug River?

sonshine

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
This came from an earlier post about civil war caches in wv:

Comes from Robert Marx's book, Buried Treasure of the United States: "In the early 1900s a Dennis Atkins is alleged to have buried about $200,000 in gold coins along the east bank of the Tug Fort River, near the toll bridge, just north of Kermit, State 52, Mingo Co."

Does anyone have more info on this? Was it ever rumored to have been found? I have family in that area and have heard a tale similar to this.

How would one go about researching this? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sonshine

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet
Search this site on this topic. I've seen it discussed many times. I just can't dig up the topics for you and make links. It's interesting. Check it out.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I just did a search of the treasurenet posts... I could'nt find any other references to it by the name Tug or Tug River.

OP
OP
S

sonshine

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks for trying to search the forums for this tale. I have also heard it told that it was pirate treasure. Pirates on the Tug River? Hard to believe. I guess the river used to be heavily traveled, with locks and dams and such. I have also heard the name of Adams, instead of Adkins. Who knows?

I would love to know more.

Thanks,
Sonshine

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
I grew up between the Tug and Big Sandy rivers. I spent quite of bit of time looking for the John Swift silver mines, I think that's where the pirates come into this tale. Local experts think that John Swift was a pirate that only came to the area to melt his swag silver into English crowns. A John Swift was arrested in New York for counterfeiting, but was released because his crowns contained more silver than a real crown. That does not mean that they were the same person. This probably just adds more confusion to your search, but I hope that it helps.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
sonshine,
I have read about this treasure a few times. Mainly the same song and dance...Dennis Atkins and buried gold in Kermit. I have never run across anything else. A couple years back I did actually pull census records(if I remember correctly) and did see a Dennis Atkins, so I know that name is legitimate. Without anymore details, it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Your best bet would be to locate property records to see where he lived and what land, if any he owned. I will warn you though, property records for that area are VERY sketchy. The deeds will describe the property with terminology like, "200 feet give or take from the hickory tree," and "just 50 feet from the coal shed," etc. My mom is from Gilbert Creek in Mingo county and all my family on that side is still there. I recently was sent the property description for my grandma's land and termilogy like that was used. I have plenty of family there still, so I can probably point you to someone if ever visiting. Be very careful though, strangers are not welcomed too much...big drug problems in the Mingo area.

OP
OP
S

sonshine

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks for the info (and the warning!). I am more curious than anything. I have a hard time believing there was ever $200,000 in gold in that area. But I have enjoyed this site! I have spent hours reading the posts and my work is not getting done. I think I will throttle the friend who turned me on to this site(wink, wink).

I do look forward to getting out soon to do some MDing. Even if its just on my own property. Come on Spring!

Thanks again,
Sonshine

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
sonshine said:
Thanks for the info (and the warning!). I am more curious than anything. I have a hard time believing there was ever $200,000 in gold in that area. But I have enjoyed this site! I have spent hours reading the posts and my work is not getting done. I think I will throttle the friend who turned me on to this site(wink, wink).

I remember thinking that too - a zillion posts ago...

fishdaddy

May 28, 2010
i live next to the tug fork river i grew up close to kermit and i know where the nolan toll bridge is.its closed now.i would like to know more about it

looking

Sep 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
older bridge up river

I do look forward to getting out soon to do some MDing. Even if its just on my own property. Come on Spring!

Thanks again,
Sonshine

They was a older bridge further up river back then ,May have been close to borderland. I herd he dug gold and silver out of the river its self. But the river has changed alot ,More sand in river now than was back then.

Oct 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure on the tug river?

I have done many years of research on the subject of the gold coins berried on the bank of the tug river, and so far it is true! Dennis Atkins was actually a payroll currier in rout to deliver the payroll, when he noticed he was being pursued by bandits! In fear he would get caught, he hurriedly berried the payroll to prevent it from being stollen! He then hurried to his destination and told his commander what he had done but before he could return for the loot, he was killed during a skirmish! Gold prices during that time was around $400-450 an oz! In today's prices, the gold is worth around $1.2 million!! But historically the gold could be worth twice that!

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow started a thread recently called "Anatomy of a Treasure Legend" where he illustrates how to research legends.

It does not pertain to your legend, but it is worth taking the time to read.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread