Huntington Bank Robbery

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
I searched some promising caves in Lawrence county Kentucky. I was just following old mountain tales. I did not find any loot, but I allways find cool stuff when I am out. Good Luck.

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
I think it is in wv My family is from there and there is no stories writen about him being in wv. My family stories say he was and the marks that i found make it true. I think he had a hide out there but it wasnt talked about or proven but I might prove it within the next year or so.

OP
OP
C

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
HI,

I'm interested in the marks that you mentioned? If you don't mind, would you mind sharing a little more info on them? I don't mean location as much as what did the marks look like? Send me a private message if you wish.

Thanks,
Cavers5

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Supposedly the James Gang robbed the Bank! 4 Robbers! 1 Killed = 3, 1 captured in Tn, Got 12 yrs! = 2 Robbers left ! They only got $10k
to begin with! I dunno! ???

Joe

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
cavers5 said:
HI,

I'm interested in the marks that you mentioned? If you don't mind, would you mind sharing a little more info on them? I don't mean location as much as what did the marks look like? Send me a private message if you wish.

Thanks,
Cavers5

one known james mark was a turkey track. another was the initials JJ except one was backwards. Usually side by side. exanimo, ss

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
I have found the turkey track and also turtle the story I read some where said something about a mark on a rock near a river but i think it was in Missouri or some where but what i found would go with that story and the other mark is a family story

OP
OP
C

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Family stories are the best! Thanks for sharing!

If you haven't looked the area(s) over carefully with the turtle and turkey track, it might be a good idea to search for some more carvings!

Cavers5

OP
OP
C

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Good luck! If you need an occasional hunting partner, I'm only a couple of hours away!

Cavers5

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
I m in nj now tring to find stuff about captain kidd when i get back to wv I will let you know and maybe we can go look

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
The story at the link below states $4000 was recovered from Miller in Fentress county, after he and McDaniels had the shootout with the Dillions, when McDaniel was killed. The other $6000 disappeared with James and Younger, which were supposed to be headed for their rendezvous in Texas.

But, according to the story, James did spend some time in WV, apparently long enough, at least, to build some furniture. (EDIT- that was Frank James that is said to have built the furniture)

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wvkgs/JamesGang.html

OP
OP
C

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
I was just thinking(occasionally I do that!)....it would be nice to look into some of the counties' local histories! They might have more data: James gang, other robberies, other gangs, carvings, ferry crossings, etc. etc.!

Cavers5

andy905

Nov 29, 2007
I live in huntington Indiana and would like to find hot spots here or in the surrounding areas to search for the good stuff I just purchased my first metal detector and decided to go right to the top my detector is a white's DFX with a 12" coil so I have the equipment and and very motivated I just need the area's and locations PLZ !!! TNX

bull1974

Feb 2, 2008
huntington,wv
anyone still wanting to know about the james gang in huntington?the family stories say that they stayed on my great-grandfathers farm in gimlet hollow?I have a piece of currency that was passed down to me from my grandmother that was supposed to be from a heist that was done at a fort in texas

OP
OP
C

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Yep, I'm still interested! When and where do you want to meet?

Cavers5

GatorsMoon

Feb 26, 2008
Mason County
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX SunRay DX1 Probe
Hey, bull1974 give me a yell if you want to go detect sometime. I'm in Point Pleasant and know of some good sites and would like to detect in Huntington. I've got buddies I've tried to turn on to detecting and they just don't seem interested. It's hard to find people that's interested in this hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread