Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Feb 2005
    1 times

Re: jesse james in wv

Well, fellers,

Do any of your family members remember any tree or rock carvings that could be checked out?

Rock art is my thing! Let me know!

Thanks,
    Cavers5

Jan 2007
    Tucker County
    Whites DFX

Hi, i'm new at this, this is a wonderful place I have enjoyed it so. I live in Tucker County were the snow is getting deep. I once had a old neighbor lady that swore jessie james come though here, which at that time St. George was the county seat and town. This is the oldest settlement in Tucker County. Her story was also that when he came though here that he had hid sum of he's money in a cave around here, she said she would not tell where because it was to dangerest for anyone to get. They had also visited with some of her family. I always wondered why wouldn't he have taken it with him. She's in the resthome now with old timers or i would ask for you. Good luck with your search

Mar 2007

Hi all..

I just stumbled on this thread. My mom (recently passed away) was a Burdette from Clay county. My great grandparents lived on the Elk about a mile above Porters Creek around the turn of the century. That property is still in the family. There used to be quite a community at Porters Creek but there is nothing there now but nice bottom land. My grandmother told me of a safe being washed away into Porters Creek that was never found (supposedly) but I've never heard the tale of any relationship to the James'. Someone in the family has done some extensive genealogical work and that has never come up. Some of my fondest memories are of the Burdette family reunion on the hilltop not far from Porter's Creek.

Nov 2006
    cape may nj
    garrett cx
    2 times

hey what if i said i have a silver bar i have recovered from wv how chould i pinpiont it to someone. Has anyone heard or a robbery involing silver (unless Gold is white) I think it is silver

Feb 2005
    1 times

A silver bar sounds wonderful! Is there any way that you can take it to the local University that has a geology department and have someone do analyses on your bar? Of course, it's probably got collector's value, so maybe the best thing would be to have someone appraise it?

After checking the date on the post, have you done anything with the bar yet?

Sincerely,
    Cavers5

us
    Nov 2004
    Edwards,Missouri
    MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
    35 times

Go to this site.Seems to me there was something about WV.

http://forums.prospero.com/n/main.as...omz%2Fmyforums

Nov 2006
    cape may nj
    garrett cx
    2 times

Sorry i didnt get back sooner but been busy. I havent did anything with the bar its with my uncle. He was affraid to because if it was stolen it might be a big deal so i dont know what to do with it. I am just going to look for more lol

Feb 2005
    1 times

Gosh! That's a wonderful find! Hope you discover more of them!

Cavers5

us
    Sep 2007
    Eskdale WV
    Prizm V
    55 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

There is a marker as you enter the city of Barboursvile W.Va. telling about Jesse robbing a bank within the city. Other than that....sorry

Nov 2006
    cape may nj
    garrett cx
    2 times

I will look into that and see what i can find thanks for the info. I have been trying to track him across WV and that put him on the right path that I had placed on the map. A coincidence I don't think so lol

Feb 2008
    Mason County
    Whites DFX SunRay DX1 Probe

I live not far from Barboursville, and if the James Gang stash is within 50 miles the DFX will be sure to sniff it out!!! It was said that he was going to rob the bank here in Point Pleasant, but the getaway would be to difficult with the Ohio and Kanawha Rivers would slow him down.

us
    Oct 2010
    Morgantown Wv
    3 times

I Lived In Braxton County And Sure Enough That Same Story Has Been Told By My Friends Great Grandfather
    We Have Scoured Alot Of Ground In Search Of The Gold But Nothing Ever Came Up In Their Way Of The
    Route Home

us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    796 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gaijun1
    I Lived In Braxton County And Sure Enough That Same Story Has Been Told By My Friends Great Grandfather
    We Have Scoured Alot Of Ground In Search Of The Gold But Nothing Ever Came Up In Their Way Of The
    Route Home
    Got ties to Webster Co . Family just up the creek from me came from there . They had an old granny that lived with them when I was a kid and spent a lot of time there . When she got in her cups she would tell us of Jessie and some of his gang spending time at the farm she lived on as a 'hired girl' before they robbed the bank in Huntington . Her bonafides was a holed gold coin on a leather thong around her neck for her 'buryin'money . Purportedly given to her by one of the gang members for an 'accommodation'.
    Other stories she told us checked out through the family I married into down there . They strangely remained silent about that one even though one bil named his firstborn son Jessie James .
    Jim
    Wolfpack forever

us
    Oct 2010
    Morgantown Wv
    3 times

I Know Webster Springs Like The Back Of My Hand And Those Back Roads
    I Lived Thier Too Along With Sutton / Gassaway / Lost Creek / Clarksburg / Morgantown / Glenville / Boone County
    Shinnston / Saltwell / Mingo County And Calhoune County

us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    796 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gaijun1
    I Know Webster Springs Like The Back Of My Hand And Those Back Roads
    I Lived Thier Too Along With Sutton / Gassaway / Lost Creek / Clarksburg / Morgantown / Glenville / Boone County
    Shinnston / Saltwell / Mingo County And Calhoune County
    Sent you a PM a little bit ago .
    Jim
    Wolfpack forever

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors