OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
Sorry i didnt get back sooner but been busy. I havent did anything with the bar its with my uncle. He was affraid to because if it was stolen it might be a big deal so i dont know what to do with it. I am just going to look for more lol

digging wv

Sep 16, 2007
Cabin Creek
Detector(s) used
Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a marker as you enter the city of Barboursvile W.Va. telling about Jesse robbing a bank within the city. Other than that....sorry

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
I will look into that and see what i can find thanks for the info. I have been trying to track him across WV and that put him on the right path that I had placed on the map. A coincidence I don't think so lol

GatorsMoon

Feb 26, 2008
Mason County
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX SunRay DX1 Probe
I live not far from Barboursville, and if the James Gang stash is within 50 miles the DFX will be sure to sniff it out!!! It was said that he was going to rob the bank here in Point Pleasant, but the getaway would be to difficult with the Ohio and Kanawha Rivers would slow him down.

Gaijun1

Oct 11, 2010
Morgantown Wv
I Lived In Braxton County And Sure Enough That Same Story Has Been Told By My Friends Great Grandfather
We Have Scoured Alot Of Ground In Search Of The Gold But Nothing Ever Came Up In Their Way Of The
Route Home

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Gaijun1 said:
I Lived In Braxton County And Sure Enough That Same Story Has Been Told By My Friends Great Grandfather
We Have Scoured Alot Of Ground In Search Of The Gold But Nothing Ever Came Up In Their Way Of The
Route Home
Got ties to Webster Co . Family just up the creek from me came from there . They had an old granny that lived with them when I was a kid and spent a lot of time there . When she got in her cups she would tell us of Jessie and some of his gang spending time at the farm she lived on as a 'hired girl' before they robbed the bank in Huntington . Her bonafides was a holed gold coin on a leather thong around her neck for her 'buryin'money . Purportedly given to her by one of the gang members for an 'accommodation'.
Other stories she told us checked out through the family I married into down there . They strangely remained silent about that one even though one bil named his firstborn son Jessie James .
Jim

Gaijun1

Oct 11, 2010
Morgantown Wv
I Know Webster Springs Like The Back Of My Hand And Those Back Roads
I Lived Thier Too Along With Sutton / Gassaway / Lost Creek / Clarksburg / Morgantown / Glenville / Boone County
Shinnston / Saltwell / Mingo County And Calhoune County

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Gaijun1 said:
I Know Webster Springs Like The Back Of My Hand And Those Back Roads
I Lived Thier Too Along With Sutton / Gassaway / Lost Creek / Clarksburg / Morgantown / Glenville / Boone County
Shinnston / Saltwell / Mingo County And Calhoune County
Sent you a PM a little bit ago .
Jim

psdisme

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2010
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
GatorsMoon said:
I live not far from Barboursville, and if the James Gang stash is within 50 miles the DFX will be sure to sniff it out!!! It was said that he was going to rob the bank here in Point Pleasant, but the getaway would be to difficult with the Ohio and Kanawha Rivers would slow him down.

I grew up and went to school in Barboursville. We used to camp in a place called Jesse James Cave out back of town. It was rumored that Jesse and his gang holed up there after a bank robbery. It was a cutback below a waterfall. First place that I ever saw Foxfire (the glowing lichen). There's a park there now. I wonder.....

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
sorry so long for replys but hinkle mt is in Nicholas County I think I will ask to double check.

evo7011

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up and went to school in Barboursville. We used to camp in a place called Jesse James Cave out back of town. It was rumored that Jesse and his gang holed up there after a bank robbery. It was a cutback below a waterfall. First place that I ever saw Foxfire (the glowing lichen). There's a park there now. I wonder.....

I've been to that park and that exact location many times, although I have never heard of any JJ stories in that location.

amularian

Greenie
Jan 1, 2010
Batesville, Arkansas
Jesse James and some member's of his gang stopped at a farm near Ripley which is located in Jackson County and bought some horses from a man by the name of Berry Smith. The farm sits on a hill which is now privately owned and fenced. It's being used as a cow pasture. Below the hill is a spring and below that is a cave where Jesse and his men stayed in while in that area. Local research would be helpful.

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I lived in Tyler county there is an old 2 story motel out in the middle of the woods. I have metal detected there many times and found 2 different copper hearts which I was told was worn by union soldiers which in the area of West Union not far from there. The older folk that went to the church I attended while living in the area said that Jesse James and his brother Frank stayed there on there way back from the The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid.

woodhick1981

Aug 13, 2016
Elkins wv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon all I recently came a cross this post and hope that I can add some information that could be helpful to you. In 1875 my great great grandfather was 13 years old and working with his father in a timber camp on the Elk river near point Mountain in Webster County. As he had passsed down the information a small group of men rode into camp late one evening and asked to eat some dinner which they insisted on paying for it. He also said following dinner the group returned to their horses and asked the quickest route to the Staunton turnpike early the next day 4 riders came intot he camp and asked if strangers had been around then asked what direction they headed out. They told the camp forman if the group came back through to detain them and send for the nearest lawman. That a large reward had been placed on the heads of those men for bank robery. To colaborate this story a bar fight in beverly wv about the same time stated the 5 men armed with pistols got into a shootout with a posse in which they fled off into the woods after wounding several members of the posse.

I have nothing more than word of mouth to back this up at this time. However, my Dad and Both my uncles recall the story the same way

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is from The Wheeling Inteligencer Set 28, 1875. It is all I found . jesse james September 28, 1875.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions