jesse james in wv

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Hi,

I'm just starting to research this a little. Apparently, there was a bank robbery in Huntington, W. VA in 1875. I saw your posts on the Huntington Bank Robbery topic. I'm interested in the marks that you found. What did they look like?

Thanks,
Cavers5

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
is there any info on jesse james loot that hasnt been found i would like to hear about it so please help even if you think its not worth talking about let me know Please help with the hunting and stories to follow.

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I have no idea if the James gang buried any loot in West Virginia or not, but I do have an interesting tale told to me by my mother. My Great-great grandfather raised horses at what was then called Belle's Landing. All I know is this was somewhere in Braxton County.

According to my mother, her Grandmother, who was a Belle, was raised there. My Great Grandmother was a child then, but Mom says she always told the story that one evening a group of men on very fine horses rode onto their farm and asked permission to water their horses. As was the custom of the times, my Great-great Grandfather invited them to stay for dinner and lodging. She said that the men were very polite, but declined the invitation stating that they had urgent business elsewhere to attend to. When they watered their horses they rode on.

The next morning another group of men approached the farm. They were in a hurry and inquired about any other travelers. They were a sherrif's posse. They told my Great-great Grandfather that the men who were at his place the evening before were Jesse James and his gang.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Thank you so much for that story, Trash Digger! That's the best part of history...hearing these unpublished family stories that are so very interesting!!!!!!!!!!

Cavers5

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
I will check out your family name and see where it was it may have been near my family have to check and will get back to you Thanks for the story sound like something to look into

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I might be able to find out some more info. My Mother is 77 now, but she has done extensive research on our family history. She may at the least be able to tell me where Belle's Landing was. It has been a long time since I heard this story from her.

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
your story is similar to mine and my family is in nicholas co. wv and it is next to braxton co. see if you can find out what the creek name or river name and you might be able to narrow your search down. The belles landing was most likely there plantation or land and it might not be there now. My mother said there is a belles landing that she has heard from storys. my family names are hall, jackson, jones, all in braxton county. you also might want to check out kanawha there is a belle there. Here is a map site http://www.myvirginiagenealogy.com/va_maps/va_cf.htm that has the county lines and the changes over the years. Braxton county was made in 1836 so it may be the same one as kanawha.

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
OK, Scrooge, got some more info. My Mother sent me an e-mail about the story. A few of my facts were off, (like how to spell my ancestor's name, and add one more great to the grandmother part) but here is the tale in her words:

Amanda Cornella Beall, the mother of Mary Blanch Lough Eakle ( Grandpa B.C. Eakle's wife), lived on the Beall Farm at Beall's Mill in Braxton County, WV. Between Sutton and Gassaway, it may have been where there was a drive in theater in later years, also now gone. Amanda, born 19 March 1849, said a group of men stopped at their farm and watered their horses. She always said how beautiful and well taken care of the horses were. They moved on and several days later the word went around that they were the James Gang. This I am not sure of....maybe they robbed a bank somewhere in the area?

Amanda married Anderson Newman Lough who was in the Union Army (an officer ?) he and his men camped at the Beall Farm and he met Amanda. After the war he came back and they were married 29 September 1868. I haven't found any record of his military service.
Anyway that is the story Mom told me that her Grandmother Beall Lough told her. Pretty neat if true. Right?
Unquote

I was born and raised in Kanawha County WV. I lived there 36 years before moving to North Carolina 20 years ago. Mom was born and raised in Clay county.

If any of you get to Braxton County and check this site out, let me know what you find. Believe it or not, I have never been there. By the way, I let Mom know ole Jesse robbed the bank in Huntington.

Mike

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Thank you very much posting, Mike. That's a great story and I've truly enjoyed reading it.

Cavers5

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
well i lived in Nicolas and my family is from a mountain named Hinkle mountain. My mother Was from richwood and she is going back down soon she will ask a couple old timers she knows and she what they know. I will check it out a little more I also have family in Sutton so they might have some old timers there to ask. I will get back to you. If you get anymore info let me know. This might get intresting.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I get to Braxton Co. once in a while, and have relatives from there.

As a kid, I remember overhearing two older relatives mention that we're related to Jesse James (in some way), another relative quietly asked them to hush. I'll have to do some asking. My Grandad's first name was Jesse...hmmm. My Aunt has been working on our genealogy, time to call her up.

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I was talking to my Mother over the holidays and brought this subject up again. She told me that Beale's Landing was on the Elk River.

Excavator, are you a Burdette or related to any Burdettes? A buddy of mine, he is a Burdette, from WV always claimed a relation to Jesse James, too. He said Frank James used to occasionally visit his Great Grandmother's family on Porter Creek in Clay county.

Mike

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
No Mike, not a Burdette. My Grandad lived alot of his life in Gilmer co., once owned a coal mine there.

My brother-in-law lives on the Elk River in Clay co., and we do some smallmouth fishing there.

While searching last night, I found a list of Jame's relatives, none of the names ring any bells.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Well, fellers,

Do any of your family members remember any tree or rock carvings that could be checked out?

Rock art is my thing! Let me know!

Thanks,
Cavers5

wvmountaingirl

Greenie
Jan 24, 2007
Tucker County
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hi, i'm new at this, this is a wonderful place I have enjoyed it so. I live in Tucker County were the snow is getting deep. I once had a old neighbor lady that swore jessie james come though here, which at that time St. George was the county seat and town. This is the oldest settlement in Tucker County. Her story was also that when he came though here that he had hid sum of he's money in a cave around here, she said she would not tell where because it was to dangerest for anyone to get. They had also visited with some of her family. I always wondered why wouldn't he have taken it with him. She's in the resthome now with old timers or i would ask for you. Good luck with your search ;D

planebill

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2007
Hi all..

I just stumbled on this thread. My mom (recently passed away) was a Burdette from Clay county. My great grandparents lived on the Elk about a mile above Porters Creek around the turn of the century. That property is still in the family. There used to be quite a community at Porters Creek but there is nothing there now but nice bottom land. My grandmother told me of a safe being washed away into Porters Creek that was never found (supposedly) but I've never heard the tale of any relationship to the James'. Someone in the family has done some extensive genealogical work and that has never come up. Some of my fondest memories are of the Burdette family reunion on the hilltop not far from Porter's Creek.

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
hey what if i said i have a silver bar i have recovered from wv how chould i pinpiont it to someone. Has anyone heard or a robbery involing silver (unless Gold is white) I think it is silver

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
A silver bar sounds wonderful! Is there any way that you can take it to the local University that has a geology department and have someone do analyses on your bar? Of course, it's probably got collector's value, so maybe the best thing would be to have someone appraise it?

After checking the date on the post, have you done anything with the bar yet?

Sincerely,
Cavers5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread