civil war caches in wv

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Some unasked-for Hillbilly advice to all ye that venture into the hills to treasure hunt:

If you're skulking, people around here are going to notice and look twice.
If you're a stranger, people around here are going to notice and look twice.
A strange vehicle will get noticed and people will look twice.
It's best to be open, friendly, honest, and don't lie.
Ask permission to go across property!
Throw your hand up at people (as if to say "Hello.")

Now, that's not saying you open up and tell them every treasure detail you know about that area, but you can truthfully say that you are hiking, taking photos, hunting, fishing, etc. Also, if they're really locals, they are going to know about the treasure stories in that area and you can bet your bottom dollar, they'll suspect you are there because of that! Expect to be stealthily followed in the hills. Oh, and if it's not the locals, then it's a cat. Yes, we do have cougars in this area. They are few and far in between, but they are here and they follow and watch you. Be careful.

Cavers5

wvmountaingirl

Greenie
Jan 24, 2007
Tucker County
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello again, I was wondering if any of you have heard of a confederate silver payroll that was lost in Randolph, or Barbour county I believe it was to have occurred on the laural mt. campaign. As the family story goes it was to have been buried by my great cousin Daniel Canfield but he died before he could tell were it was buried. I remember that at one time I read a white history marker that stated that it was lost but I can not find it now and in the Elkins post office his name is listed under civil war soldiers. As history goes they said even air planes have flown over the area, and people have searched for years. My husband just laughs at me because he knows I’m going hunting. I just bought my detector and it’s snowed ever since, and we are under an advisor now for 6 inches, I guess it can stay buried for a few more days’ lol

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
wvmountaingirl said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello again, I was wondering if any of you have heard of a confederate silver payroll that was lost in Randolph, or Barbour county I believe it was to have occurred on the laural mt. campaign. As the family story goes it was to have been buried by my great cousin Daniel Canfield but he died before he could tell were it was buried. I remember that at one time I read a white history marker that stated that it was lost but I can not find it now and in the Elkins post office his name is listed under civil war soldiers. As history goes they said even air planes have flown over the area, and people have searched for years. My husband just laughs at me because he knows I’m going hunting. I just bought my detector and it’s snowed ever since, and we are under an advisor now for 6 inches, I guess it can stay buried for a few more days’ lol

Here is a website that lists highway markers in West Virginia. Have fun looking.

http://www.wvculture.org/History/wvmemory/hm.aspx

Mike

wvmountaingirl

Greenie
Jan 24, 2007
Tucker County
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
What a wonderful link, of course with my luck its not there. I have the first book of history markers and its not there either. I know i read it,and it is back in Gods country up here. I know because I did not really believe the story til then. Its just the history of it more so than the dream. My dad owns part of the home place which at a time was a working griding mill, and the mt. road joined barbour and randolph. As a little girl I remember right after mom dad bought the place seeing a man with a metal detecter there. It's just fun to dream. I love history. ;D

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
Greetings to all you fellow WV TH'ers... am an old Huntington boy, myself. Born there, as was my dad, and I graduated from St. Albans High. Now live in Northern Kentucky. Thought I would give a look-see at what ya'll were talkin about in the mountain state.

Saw some very interesting posts... thought Cavers5's advice on how to behave in WV when hunting was excellent. Might add... Don't wear full camoflage if it is NOT some kind of gun or bow hunting season as you will likely be viewed as a poacher and maybe have Fish and Game called out on you. Wear ordinary looking Khaki or tan pants that naturally blend in with your surroundings and a cap or hat to match and no more than 1 total piece of camo clothes like a jacket, T-shirt, or long-sleeved shirt, depending on the weather. Most hillbillies wear one piece of camo so that is normal... FULL camo is not. Avoid bright colored clothes that draw attention to you and make sure your clothing does not look brand new. Slightly faded and "just this side of poverty" is better than slick and expensive when among the mountain peoples in WV, KY or TN. Paying attention to the little things is the mark of a real pro and can... and will... on more than one occasion spell the difference between failure and success on a hunt.

I would go one step further and suggest that a well-used "economy" car or truck is much less noticed than that brand new "Doolie" or expensive SUV you have sitting in the garage. ;>)

I will leave you with a lead: CW Relic Hunters... found a Confederate Camp on Cranberry Mountain about 3 years ago while staying at Cranberry Lodge (a private large house near the top of the mountain available for rental by the day or week) in the Greenbrier Valley in Pocahontas County. The camp began right there in the woods just a few feet from the Lodge building. Great rifle pits around all over the side of the mountain... saw no signs it had ever been worked... and I'm fairly good at spotting the previously worked sites. Did not have my detector with me at the time so did not work it. Meant to come back and hunt it but have gotten so many good CW leads closer to home here in N. KY that I know I will probably not make it back. Hope one or more of you can pick up on this one where I left off. If you do... just tell me about the buckles you find so I can have a good cry. ;>)

Best of luck to all of you fellow hillbillies. Let me know if I can ever be any help to you.

DC

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
anoldpro dont make me find you in my area lol I have a few places around there and one is my baby that i have been working on but that is near richwood. I will check that place out thanks for the info

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
Richwood... eh? I ate lunch there my last time through the area. I remember trying to find something on the menu that wasn't "heart attack on a plate" and the gum chewing waitress said to me, "Honey, they aint nuthin healthy for you on that menu... if yer lookin fer healthy food you done come to the wrong place!". Gotta love her honesty! LOL

And don't worry bout findin me in your territory erik... I'll be wearing my "Klingon cloaking device" that I used when I hunted the White House lawn. You'll never see me. If I get any of those Confed buckles out of your site I'll leave a new-cast minie ball in the hole with "DC" stamped in the lead (hee, hee, hee :>) Just kidding here, folks, can't be serious all the time!

Hope you find and do well in that camp up on Cranberry mountain. If you do save me a minie for a souvenir.

DC

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an FYI, there was a Dennis Atkins in the 1920 census, living in Mingo County, WV. He was 44 in 1920.

Attachments

• Atkins.jpg
    Atkins.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 2,216

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in Kearneysville, WV. For being such a small town, it has a rich history. The Travelers Rest, home of Gen. Horatio Gates, is only a mile from my house. Man would I love to get permission to hunt there, and I have been trying. There was some CW action as well, in Aug 1864, there was a skirmish in Kearneysville. Included was George S. Patton, grandfather of the famous GS Patton. I now live in Chevy Chase, MD, but I do most of my hunting in WV.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Way to go, Kiro! Do you think that's the correct "Dennis Atkins?" Would that name be common for that area?

Cavers5

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
hey oldpro where was cranberry mt. was that in richwood area or somewhere else. I have been looking for it and there is a lot of them but I found only one with that as the real name, but not near richwood. I think I know what one but if you wouldnt mind chould you help me.
Thanks Erik W Lund

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cavers5 said:
Way to go, Kiro! Do you think that's the correct "Dennis Atkins?" Would that name be common for that area?

Cavers5

Well, James Dennis Atkins was born in 1849 and lived in Mingo County, WV. He had a son named James Dennis Atkins, born in 1875. It looks like the son later changed his name to Dennis James Atkins. SO, if the story is true, it could have been father or son. Oh, and the son registered for World War I.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kiros32 said:
I grew up in Kearneysville, WV. For being such a small town, it has a rich history. The Travelers Rest, home of Gen. Horatio Gates, is only a mile from my house. Man would I love to get permission to hunt there, and I have been trying. There was some CW action as well, in Aug 1864, there was a skirmish in Kearneysville. Included was George S. Patton, grandfather of the famous GS Patton. I now live in Chevy Chase, MD, but I do most of my hunting in WV.

I think this is the spot where a friend of mine has gone several times. He knows the landowner. He said there is a minie ball like every other foot there. I tried to go there with him before I was deployed but the owners weren't home. Hopefully I'll be able to hit it with him when I get back. I'd love to find that Cranberry Mountain place too.

GatorsMoon

Feb 26, 2008
Mason County
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX SunRay DX1 Probe
AHhh, Richwood, What a very promising site. I will be going up in a couple weeks to trout fish on the Cherry. The metal detector will be in tow also! Beautiful town and people.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
find that treasure yet erik

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Wish I could afford one, but I can't so I use my tongue
Primary Interest:
Other
... anyone still watching this thread.? ..... Buckhannon, WV during the Civil War our soldiers were stationed at our local city park ... our middle school used to be a civil war hospital (I think it's holding secrets, why keep up and maintenance a building that long.?), and there was a group of soldiers taken hostage at Centerville, now Rock Cave ...... ....... ...... I need some help over the hill at Indian Camp retrieving hidden caches of silver left by Jonathan Swift, and eventually the mine itself

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions