civil war caches in wv

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Hi,

In Thomas P. Terry's Treasure atlas, a hastily buried Civil War payroll is mentioned for Logan Co. W.VA.

Cavers5

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Well, I've been researching Confederate history, especially the Knights of the Golden Circle, James-Younger gang, etc. Some of my family members were Confederate officers/soldiers and we have some interesting stories that were passed down via the generations. Some of those stories included people and places in W. Va. I had some ancestors that actually went to W.VA to hideout! So, I've been collecting as much data as I can, primarily for geneaological use. Of course, I love the treasure stories as well!

Cavers5

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
If there is anything you can tell me I will look into it and try to find any info for you. My family is all over WV its the state where everyone is related lol but it is pretty true. thank Erik

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Yep, you got that right, it's inbreeding, for sure!

LOL! Same thing can be said for KY. Oh, well.

Well, here's one I've had on the backburner: Comes from Robert Marx's book, Buried Treasure of the United States: "In the early 1900s a Dennis Atkins is alleged to have buried about $200,000 in gold coins along the east bank of the Tug Fort River, near the toll bridge, just north of Kermit, State 52, Mingo Co."

I'm guessing he means Tug Fork. I haven't done any research on this one to see if Atkins even existed.

Let me know if you would like to collaborate.

Cavers5

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I know the name, Adkins, is a fairly common name in that general area, from Kanawha county to Mingo and Logan counties.

I've done a little research on the web myself, on Civil War history. Have found some minor bits about troop movements but nothing really major. Except the Burning Springs story, but I haven't found any treasure stories connected to that.

Here where I live, a new park was just opened at the site of a military hospital during the Civil War, 750,000 troops passed through there. The whole hilltop is soon to be developed into upscale housing.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I was bitten by the bug too late, should have gotten up there before work began on the park, spent some evenings there as a teenager but never thought of relic hunting.

The outlying areas are still fair game, but I plan to at least ask about MD'ing certain areas in the park. The old arsenal of the fort is clearly marked out, but it looks like they may done some digging there when building the park.

Besides the fort and the hospital, there was a dance hall there at one time.

EDIT- Looking around last night, I found a story about a buried payroll on the Tug Fork at Chapmanville.

Also, another story about a lost silver mine on the Gauley. I'll post the links if I can find them.

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
hey let me in on the mine i am in lol That sounds good for me I like hunting for big things tired of the little stuff ;D ;D

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Here's a link to two short stories, the silver mine and the payroll buried along the Tug Fork ($6000 in gold). Not the same link I found earlier, but the same stories, didn't think it would be that hard to find again.

See what you think:
http://www.losttreasure.com/statetales/taleWV.cfm

EDIT- The payroll is said to be buried on the Guyandotte, after crossing the Tug Fork. Sorry for all the edits in my posts lately, having pneumonia makes me a little logey. :P

beerdoodle

Oct 13, 2006
just need to form a plan and a place. I work a lot and transplanted here from Illinois. There doesnt seem to be a lot of swingers from WV. But can always swing time (NPI) to get away for a days hunt.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Just happened across this:

Berkely county has several. During WW1 a draft evader hid $170,000 in 1917 near the ghost town of Marlowe. This cache has never been reported to have been found. Ghost town of Marlowe is 4 miles west of Williamsport Maryland. Other ghost towns listed are Darkesville, Tabler, Van Clevesville, Barlow, Baxter, Bedington, Swanpond. Civil war relics reported found near Falling Waters, engegement took place after Lee's defeat at Gettysburg. Indian relics found around Martinsburg. Two forts listed Fort Neally 2 miles north Martinsburg built 1750's. Fort Evans near Martinsburg built 1755, both sides camped here during Civil War.

Also read of gold found in quartz rock outcroppings in Clay county.

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
yea i have heard of that but havent looked in to it i am from richwood and tring to set up a week of hunting down there if I get info on these sites maybe I will set up ahunt where we can all meet up and go looking at thanksgiving ( so it can go unnoticed) being in the woods or parked on the side of the road tends to draw people

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Egads! You got that right! Everybody from here to blue yonder knows my vehicle and when I'm parked, the crowds come agagglin'!!!!

Are you caving? Are you treasure hunting? Are you finding anything? Can I go with you?

Hee! Hee! I don't mind though. I usually got a vehicle load full of children anyhow!

Cavers5

OP
OP
erik12152003

erik12152003

Nov 5, 2006
cape may nj
Detector(s) used
garrett cx
Yea thats why i want to go then I can be unnoticed I wouldnt mind people I know but people who stop and ask is a little scarey to me because if I do find something the world would know before I got it out of there and I might not get out of there alive. I also want to give credit where it is due which is my grandfather who spent his life trying to find it. I would love to find something I think we need to focus on one treasure and all of us on here we might get somewhere I am going to post a new thing asking for ideas. We all can have a trip out looking sound good to anyone else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread