Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nov 2006
    cape may nj
    garrett cx
    2 times

golden cannon lost in swamp

golden cannon was made and painted to look like a regular cannon but then lost in a swamp any help would be great

Feb 2005
    1 times

Re: golden cannon lost in swamp

Haven't come across any leads on this yet.

Cavers5

Nov 2006
    cape may nj
    garrett cx
    2 times

I am still looking to but no hard proof yet

Oct 2006
    West Virginia
    Bounty Hunter

That's a new one for me, but I'll keep it in mind.

Oct 2006
    West Virginia
    Bounty Hunter

Union county Ohio,

During the War of 1812, a cannon was lost in a swamp at Rayls Corners close to hwy. 739 and the RR crossing near Raymond.

Jul 2006

Hey there... I live in southern WV... I have heard of Lost Cannon on Gauley Mountain, near Fayetteville. A Lot of people have looked for it over the years. I think I heard that it was stashed with payroll or gold higgen inside. Has anyone heard this before??

Nov 2006
    cape may nj
    garrett cx
    2 times

that is one story of them but it was also said the melted the payroll gold down and made it into a cannon The story that i have heard said it was traveling and was one of them was lost first then the second later in there travels do you know where they where headed or started from?

Oct 2006
    West Virginia
    Bounty Hunter

Now that you mention it, I have heard of gold stashed in a cannon, but I don't think I ever heard where, or I wasn't paying attention.

What county is that? I've just been going through listings from a treasure book that has all WV counties listed. Fayette county maybe?

Nov 2006
    cape may nj
    garrett cx
    2 times

nicholas

Oct 2006
    West Virginia
    Bounty Hunter

From the list, note- GT stands for ghost town.

Nicholas county, West Virginia: 1. GT Bays in the extreme N corner of the county, 5 miles S Little Birch. 2. GT Dade on W county line, 2 miles SE Enoch. 3. GT Harriet near W county line, 4 miles NW Gilboa. 4. GT Opal 3 miles E Hookersville. 5. GT Kirkwood 2 miles E Muddlety. 6. GT Conrad 2 miles NW Persinger. 7. GT Delphi 3 miles S Tioga. 8. GT Holcomb 3 miles NW Fenwick. 9. Site: Carnifex Ferry Battlefield, 15 miles SW Summersville, the scene of a Civil War engagement in 1861. Relics and artifacts can be found in the surrounding area of the park. 9A). While trying to float a cannon down the Gauley River on a log raft, the gun was lost overboard in 1861. The site is said to be near the Carnifex Ferry Battlefield. Another source claims that the location is about mile E of the Meadow River where it empties into the Gauley River. 10. GT Sparks 3 miles W Mt. Nebo. 11. GT Fowler Knob 2 miles SE Mt. Nebo. 12. GT Bruce 4 miles W Hominey Falls. 13. GT Ophelia 2 miles S Nettie.

Jul 2006

Did not know about that one... Did some more research, I think I am referring to the Cotton Hill Cannon

http://www.wvcivilwar.com/cfforum/vi...um=9&Topic=477

Know anything about this one.

Oct 2006
    West Virginia
    Bounty Hunter

First I've seen about that one. Should be easy enough to find a topographical map of that area, the poster says the one location is easy to spot. I have several county and stream maps, but no topos.

Oct 2006
    West Virginia
    Bounty Hunter

I wonder if any WV counties have been renamed? In the paragraph below, there's a listing of Cotton Hill, and reference to a counterfeiter making coins from the Gauley silver, and it mentions Fayetteville county. A misprint or renamed county, I have found some places mis-spelled.

Fayette county, West Virginia: 1. Site: Indian relics and artifacts can be found in the bottom lands of the Kanawha River near Montgomery. 2. Site: Civil War relics can be recovered at Gauley Bridge, scene of a battle in 1861. 3. GT Cotton Hill on RR, 2 miles NW Beckwith. 3A). Site: Civil War relics can be found at Cotton Hill, the location of an engagement in 1862. 3B). Legend states that a cannon was hidden during the Civil War on Cotton Hill Mountain and never recovered. 4. There is a legend of a lost silver mine in the Gauley River section of Fayette county. 4A). In the late 1700s, a counterfeiter supposedly made his silver dollars from silver obtained in the vicinity. 4B). As recently as 1970, silver ore has been found in this section of the county. 5. GT Lucas on RR and N county line, 2 miles NNE Ramsey. 6. GT Elliott near the county line, 2 miles N Clifty. 7. Site: Half Way House on the E edge of Ansted, was a stopping place on the Kanawha Road from 1775-1870s. 8. GT Hawks Nest on RR, 2 miles S Ansted. 9. GT Eldridge Mines 4 miles W Page. 10. 2 RR cars loaded with whiskey reportedly lie in the bottom of the river below the bridge at River Gorge. 11. Site: Civil War relics can be found near Fayetteville. Both armies occupied the town and it was the scene of a number of battles in 1862-1863. 11A). Legends claim that a Civil War cannon was buried in a well, supposedly on the courthouse lawn in Fayetteville. 12. In 1863, Union troops buried an army payroll of gold coins somewhere in Fayetteville county. All the soldiers were killed in battle a short time later and the cache was never recovered. Some sources place the location of this treasure near Oak Hill. 13. GT Pax in the extreme SW corner of the county, 5 miles W Mount Hope. 14. GT Thurmond 5 miles E Oak Hill on the New River, the town was the gambling capital of the East in the late 1800s. Shootings and killings were commonplace and it is believed that much treasure was buried here and never recovered. 15. GT Claremont 2 miles N (GT) Thayer. 16. GT Thayer 3 miles W Layland. 17. GT Russellville on E county line, 2 miles S Nallen. 18. In the late 1800s bandits who robbed travelers and payroll trains used a cave near a place called Island-in-the-Sky in Babcock State Park S of Lookout. It is believed that loot of this gang is buried somewhere in or near this cave hideout that has yet to be recovered. 19. GT Mine No. 2, 2 miles S Clifftop. 20. GT Maywood on E county line, 2 miles W Rainelle. 21. GT Glade a/k/a Krise, on the S county line and RR, 2 miles S Lawton. 22. GT Backus on the S county line, 4 miles WSW Meadow Bridge. 23. GT Red Spring 3 miles S Danese.

Feb 2005
    1 times

Hi,

I might can help with that one. If I remember correctly, and I may be wrong, but West VA didn't become a state until the time of the Civil War. In the years following, several counties were re-divided (sub-divided?) and anyhow, new counties were formed. There are historical maps of WV, so those would probably be the most useful for finding the cannons.

Cavers5

Jul 2006

I live in Raleigh County, next to Fayette, and prior to Civil War Fayette County was much larger, and parts of Raleigh came from Fayette. I used to tramp around in the Thurmond, Lansing and Pax areas, and there are a lot of caves, crevices, etc. along the gorge. I would be up for some additional research. I may have access to recent GIS surveys of the area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors