Native American Treasure.

coalfire

Dec 16, 2006
East Coast
I had read in a book that a "Indian" Treasure was supposed to have been buried in Hardy County. Now I have done a bit of research and found that the incident happened in Pendleton County. The story said in effect...A settlement was burned down in Hardy County and the Indians took the valuables and buried them in the area of South Fork Mountain. Well I was told that in Pendleton County (south of Hardy Co.) is where it happened. The place is called Fort Seybert. Now back then about 1755 Pendleton Co. WAS Hardy County. That is the reason for the mistake. Indians burned the fort during a massacre and buried the "treasure" along South Fork Mountain which still runs north into Hardy Co.
In the area of Fort Seybert is a town called "Upper Tract" where they have a small festival called appropriately enough "Treasure Mountain Festival" named for this historic massacre.
Supposedly the Indians took some of the people that survived north, while a few Indians split off from the main group and buried the treasure they were carrying. Later the small group joined the main group again. This is the story. You can find a small article written about this at:
http://www.wvculture.org/hiStory/settlement/fortseybert01.html

Good Hunting!
~Z~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread