Sago West Virginia ................ Jeweler Buried Gold and Silver

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The first jeweler in the county was Samuel Meerbach, who came to Sago vicinity, direct from London in the 20's, and lived as a hermit on the waters of French Creek, on the farm now known as the Jacob Lewis farm. There is some .tradition about Meerbach. One report says that he had a good deal of money and that he was murdered for it. But be it as it may, his death was always a mystery to his friends; and no one yet has found his treasure. Some still claim that there is a hidden fortune of gold and silver at the place where this man dwelt; and a few men have searched for it in vain.

Sago has a very picturesque location. It is situated along the banks of a beautiful, clear, and swift running little river, called the Buckhannon.
The county seat, called Buckhannon, is located six miles north on the same river.

Attachments

• SagoMap.jpg
    SagoMap.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,144

Hillbillyhunter2

Jul 25, 2018
Central Wv
Detector(s) used
Still looking for one to purchase
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t believe that’s where the mine is at I live close to there......heard about this guy and the farm but never that he lived as a hermit or that he had treasure time for me to do some reading up on this gentleman! Thanks for the tale

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread