Joseph Van Swearingen buried his accumulated fortune of gold and silver coins

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Prior to his death in 1820, Joseph Van Swearingen buried his accumulated fortune of gold and silver coins on his property, about 1/2 mile N of Sheperdstown, without telling his family the location. Extensive searches never unearthed the cache.
Joseph Van Swearingen, born ca 1677 at St Mary's City, MD. He married ca 1714, Mary Neale (Adderton), born ca 1682, the daughter of James Neale (died 1727) of Charles Co, MD, and Elizabeth Calvert, granddaughter of William Calvert, Lord Baltimore. Joseph died Mar 1720/21, a wealthy man, no children (Maryland Probate Records, Prerogative Court Abstracts, 1751-1756 (FTM CD206): An account of the estate of Joseph Vanswearingen was dated 26 Sep 1721, executrix, Mary Vanswearingen. A final accounting was dated 19 Oct 1738 and the administratrix named was called "Mary Deacon, wife of William Deacon, Esq.". The 4th Add'l Account of Joseph Vansweringen's estate, shows a payment to Ger'd Vansweringen Brother to ye Dec'd" (Chronicles of St Mary's, May 1981). Joseph's widow Mary married ca 1722, William Deacon, Royal Customs Collector for the North Potomac who built a new house for Mary and himself at Chancellor's Point (Van Sweringen's Point) near St Mary's City.

|
_Gerrett VANSWEARINGEN _|
| (1636 - 1698) m 1676 |
| |__
|
|
|--Joseph VANSWEARINGEN
|
| __
| |
|_Mary SMITH ____________|
(1660 - ....) m 1676 |
|__

Swearingen family tradition says that when the Dutch colony at New Amstel surrendered to the English Crown, Garrett van publicly broke his sword across his knees, and, throwing it to the left and right, renounced his allegiance.

Garret was allowed to continue in office but about two years later, he and his family relocated to a 200 acre plantation in Talbot County, Maryland, which he had purchased from Michael Powellson Vanderfort. He disposed of this property on 13 February 1667 to Robert Macklin and from him acquired 100 acres "lying on the East side of wickliffes creeke in St. Georges river" in St. Mary's Co., (Proceedings of the Provincial Court of Maryland 1666-1670.) It is interesting to note that the recording of this transaction was requested by "John Vanswearing". A relationship to Garrett has not been established, though he may have been a brother. A letter written by Garrett on 8 Dec 1659 from "New Netherland" stated, "I have received some goods here from my brother." Garrett also bought a 50 acre tract at St. Mary's, referred to as "Van Sweringen's Point", surveyed on 18 August of that year (from Land Surveys Recorded in Lord Baltimore's Rent Rolls for the Various Counties.)

The Van Swearingens first home at St. Mary's was probably Smiths ordinary where Garrett established an inn. About 1670 he purchased the lease to the ordinary, continuing there as innkeeper until about 1676. At this time Garrett leased the inn out and tried to set up a brewing house. Before the brewery was completed, the inn burned and he was forced to give up the endeavor. Perhaps this was when he built the small dewlling on the Aldermanbury St. lot which he had acquired about 1672. In the meantime, the State House or Council Chambers building had been vacated, having been replaced in 1676 by the brick building. Garrett established another inn here, successfully providing fine lodging and entertainment to visiting government officials until his death. In addition to being an innkeeper, he served in St. Mary's as one of the first six aldermen (appointed in 1668) and as sheriff from 1686 to 1688. He apparently supplemented his income by hiring out a servant named Robert Harper, who was practiced in "physick." This is evidenced by court documents describing two cases in which Garrett was forced to sue for payment of medical treatments administered by Harper. (Proceedings of the Provincial Court of Maryland 1670/1-1675, edited by Elizabeth Merritt, Vol 65).
,....................Death of parent leaving Joseph the estate.....Bequeath all the Rest of My Estate both Real and person unto my Said Son Joseph Vansweringen after all my Just Debts are paid and lastly I do hereby Constitute and appoint my loving Son Joseph Vansweringen my whole and sole Executor of this my last will and Testament in witness whereof I have hereunto Set my hand and Seal this Seventeenth day of Febry 1712/13

Signed Sealed and Delivered in the presence of Wm Aisquith Ann Moloni Hannah Bantor (signed) Mary Vansweringen

At ye foot of the aforegoing will was thus written, Sept 5th 1713 Then Came Ann Moloni and Hannah Bantor two of the Witnesses to the within will and made oath that they saw the within Named Mary VanSweringen Sign Seal and Deliver the Same as her last will and Testament Wm Aisquith Dept Comissry ..................
http://fourkings.freeyellow.com/Swearingen.html

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Thanks for the post.

It seems like I also remember the name Van Swearingen being associated with members of the Cherokee tribe, but most of my research is boxed up at the moment, so I can't verify that.

Great reading!

Cavers5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions