Sunken railcars of whiskey in New River

wreckwriter

Oct 13, 2012
Putnam County, WV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea, but this has me extremely interested.

*A report Im reading right now says the deepest part of the river is 100 feet.

http://www.nature.nps.gov/geology/i...s/BLUE_GARI_NERI_scoping_summary_20050630.pdf

I'm interested too. I'm about an hour or so away from the New River Bridge. Not certain where this is compared to that though. Haven't done any hard research yet but am considering it. PM me if you're interested in taking a closer and possibly serious look at this.

Last edited:

evo7011

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm interested too. I'm about an hour or so away from the New River Bridge. Not certain where this is compared to that though. Haven't done any hard research yet but am considering it. PM me if you're interested in taking a closer and possibly serious look at this.

You have a PM.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
corklabus said:
The divers supposedly returned to the surface and refused to go back down because they encountered super large catfish big enough to easily eat them

I grew up in a small Minnesota farm town on the Mississippi River and the exact same story was told about the under water welders who worked on the bridge... Exact

evo7011

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard this tail repeatedly throughout my childhood.
A reference to this tail was quoted from a printed source by the member using the name "excavator". It's the only printed reference I have ever encountered about this tale.
First I wondered if his reference made any elaboration on this information, or what the name of the book might be and if I could get one.
Secondly, I'm not really interested in the "treasure" aspect of the tail. I'm only interested in the location itself. The tail supposedly goes that divers were originally sent down to attempt some sort of recovery of the whiskey. The divers supposedly returned to the surface and refused to go back down because they encountered super large catfish big enough to easily eat them.
Now stupid fisherman that I am, I would like to know where this occurred so I'd simply be increasing my chances of catching bigger fish. Of course I realize that maybe the size of such fish would actually decrease my chances by eating everything else in the area, but what the heck.
Having lived most of my life here, it's obvious that the county is Fayette county and the "River Gorge" aspect is obviously New River Gorge.
Childhood stories place the location on the far side of the river at the mouth of the Gauley river. However, I noticed in the post "Excavator" was quoting that the location was beneath a bridge. Since this is an old tail, there have been several different types of bridges that have spanned New River due to mining operations over the years, but no longer exist. I happen to have an idea to the locations of these old structures and wonder if they may have any influence on the true location.
I know it's a pipe dream, but since this forum is the only place I've ever noticed any reference to the tail, I just couldn't resist inquiring if there was even any truth to the tail.

Is this the same story....

A little known site of what could be called treasure today and certainly worth a small fortune, is two railroad cars filled with whiskey that were lost in the early 1900s. This location should be of interest to treasure-hunting scuba divers.

The two box cars are in New River, in the Hico-Fayetteville area. Local research could probably pinpoint the exact location. The whiskey, according to local information, has not been recovered.

wreckwriter

Oct 13, 2012
Putnam County, WV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in a small Minnesota farm town on the Mississippi River and the exact same story was told about the under water welders who worked on the bridge... Exact

I've also heard similar tales. I've seen some big cats but never anything that would have run me out of the water!

CCCWV

Sep 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also heard similar tales. I've seen some big cats but never anything that would have run me out of the water!

I told this story a million times when I was raft guiding. I was always told it happened under the bridge immediately downstream of the Cunard River Access.

Should be easy to get in and out to fish on either side of the River there.

Cway843

Jan 15, 2024
I use to spend summers with my Great Grandmother in Clifton Forge,VA. I remember her telling me a story as a kid about a train that wrecked carrying whiskey with it sinking into quicksand.Ive been searching for years upon years for any links even close...with your posting being the closest one.There was also a story that took place on the same body of water about a high school kid ice skating and breaking his leg then drowning. Hope maybe this little bit of the story Im searching for info on might help you in your search in some way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread