Frank Sykes Gold?

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe I found some more on Sykes, this article gives his name as William. Greybull Standard v. 20 no. 30 June 30, 1922, page 1
William Sykes part 1.jpg William Sykes part 2.jpg

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
You know they say you are supposed to try to disprove a treasure story. What I found strange about this is the guy squatted the land he was on and still had almost no possessions when he died. A horsehair rope and typewriter. And some Wall Street Journals. Why did he read that? Maybe he did have some money invested in the stock market. Also he was a fishing guide. Doesn't sound like someone with a bunch of money.

Also be sure to check the land useage. There is a big swath of National Recreation Area there run by the federales. Tons of rules and regulations. And don't forget the Pryor Mountains are under some archaeology study area. They are all rabid against looters.

His money came from the sale of the land he squatted on. The cave and what he had inside were also found.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got your facts wrong.

Sykes supposedly sold some land and then squatted on another piece of land. When he died i think they found a horsehair rope and sewing machine and I thin it was New York Times newspapers at his house. Later they found a cave with some seeds and other stuff in it. Did they steal the gold or was it ever there? From what the articles said, he didn't live a life of luxury. He was not well-liked and even had some kind of kill list for the people he hated. That area is God-forsaken desert wasteland.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe he buried the gold with his wife along the fence line, it was then he underwent a major change in his life. I put it in my Northwest Wyoming Treasure Stories book. That's just one of five volumes, something around 1,600 to 1,800 pages of material.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a guy who searched for it with one of Fitzgerald's LRL's. Of course that's private property. You don't need to buy no book to read about it. Besides, almost every one of those treasure legends is a bust. Real treasure you need unpublished, word of mouth info. Most all those stories were peddled B.S. for suckers.

Last edited:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
But demand for old west material is pretty good, and they buy books. There is no need for any search. Folks from the East come out here with expectations. They can drive by Sykes Mountain and think about the cave and $50,000 in gold. An Amazon purchase is a 7 dollar royalty each time. A location ordering 6 volumes is a $35 profit over cost. Signal did you catch me on the channel 8 news? You can read any of my Montana books from the donation I made to the Yellowstone Gold Prospectors Club. They have a complete set with a sign out system. Next they will be getting a set of Wyoming books. I am happy I got to the point I can give the damn things away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread