The Lost Cabin Mine

Rockman7

Jul 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tiredman -
Thanks for the tip to look for Lost Cabins in the Gallatin Range, MT.
I checked it on the topo maps where this was located - an it shows it to be near the top North-West corner of Wyoming and Montana borderline areas.
I was looking for the Lost Cabin Mine only or mainly in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming. An the Gallatin Range of Montana - is not in the Bighorn Mountains its more to the North of Yellowstone Park - straight North into Montana.
At least for me here - i will not be searching this area.
Because i here believe - that this Lost Cabin Mine is actually in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The Bonanza trail by wolle has several versions of this story, one almost matches jamesons

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Albert Hurlburt 1863 story of wandering to a fort from the workings as the lone survivor. Appears to be true, while working on our Montana books we came across the story of a old Pioneer who past away. It related his being at the post when he was brought in.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim Bridger is said to have found gold while drinking from a stream.
Then there is the report that a black robe was told the source location but told the natives to keep it secret. The black robe died and hidden in the wall of his room was his version of the events. His name was De Smet. Believe we ran across that article in the past. I hope later to go thru what everyone has added and see if I have more info. I don't want to put up something you all ready got.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Currently finding a bunch of old articles on this old mine. Some claim it is a Spanish mine even.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
This is from an old Wolle book:
Wind River Mountains
According to The Bonanza Trail by Wolle there is a version of the Lost Cabin Mine being in the Wind River Mountains bottom paragragh page 158
Apparently this took place around 1877 when a prospector made it to safety at Fort Washakie where he claimed that his partners were killed by hostile Indians while mining in the Wind River Range. He told enough about the region and that they had a cabin located there. Some tried to locate where the lost claim was at and a few years later around 1884 a cabin that fit the description was found in the Wind River Range. If the following details are correct then there is little doubt that the actual site was found. One would think that many cabins were built with portholes to fire thru, but an underground entrance as well as the tools and remains of the dead miners gave evidence this was the cabin in question. The last word about this site was the prospector who found the site and a man named J. B. Osborne filed claims in the area and planned to return the next season and there the story ends.
Page 159 The Bonanza Trail

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Spring Time Surprise
This tale also fits the Lost Cabin Mine description. A man named Allen Hurlburt and two partners back in 1863 set out down the Yellowstone River to the Big Horn River. Once there they headed into the Big Horn Mountains and found a placer where it is said they cleaned up $100 a day per man. They had enough supplies to stay the winter at the cabin they had built. The following spring Hurlburt heard shots in the direction of the cabin and seen his partners killed by Indians. He stayed hidden until it was safe and then took what little he could carry and headed south to reach civilization. Eighteen days of wandering he made it back barely alive. After his recovery he joined a group headed to the gold fields of Montana and once those members heard his story a portion split from the group to search for his old location. They wandered around until Hurlburt admitted he was totally lost and the group came close to lynching him. Supposedly it was Jim Bridger himself who prevented this from happening. The story ends with this group also being driven from the region by hostiles.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Head waters of the Little Big Horn
Another brief mention of a lost location for an old gold discovery is in the region of the head waters of the Little Big Horn. A rich deposit was found by 3 prospectors, some say they used horses to get some of the gold to Fort Laramie. Then there is yet another claim that they built a boat to go down the Yellowstone River to get back to the states. They took what gold they could and buried the rest and traveled by night down the river. Making it past several villages at night they were eventually captured and tow of the three were killed. The third escaped and told his story, but his details were not of much value and later his mind was no longer sound and the location has remained lost.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
My search for articles on the Lost Cabin Mine of Wyoming has netted 99 articles so far. I have covered 3,004 of 6,255 newspaper pages. I believe I have over a month into this almost half way.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Found the reference to Penfield and Terry listing of the gold found by Kit Carson in the early days. Kit Carson report.jpg

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I have reached the point to thin thru all my collected material on this lost mine. Picking what stays and what order to use it.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Oroblanco, I believe I am reading an article that I think was written by you, back on 03/01/2011. Several versions and belief's are in it. I have material on everything in the article.

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Oroblanco, I believe I am reading an article that I think was written by you, back on 03/01/2011. Several versions and belief's are in it. I have material on everything in the article.

It is quite possible - unfortunately my best source materials were lent out and never got returned by the friend who borrowed them, and he moved away and lost touch. Any info gratefully accepted of course! Thanks in advance,
:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread