Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Oroblanco
  • 1 Post By Oroblanco
  • 1 Post By JP gold guy
  • 1 Post By chrspe

Thread: The Lost Cabin Mine

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    1288 times

The Lost Cabin Mine

The Lost Cabin Mine

The most famous lost mine legend of Wyoming is the Lost Cabin. The story goes that several prospectors, from three to seven, had ventured into the Bighorn mountains in quest of gold. They built a cabin to live in and a flume or sluice to work their discovery, a rich gold placer and amassed a considerable amount of gold when they were suddenly attacked by Sioux or Cheyenne warriors who killed all but one survivor.

The lone survivor made it out to a fort where he told his story and showed gold, the fort usually named is Fort Reno on the east flank of the range. There are two versions of what happened next, the survivor either sickened and died without giving a map or good directions to the mine, or he had assembled a group of partners to accompany him back to the mine, but on their trip they were all massacred by Indians with no survivors.

The mine has been found and lost repeatedly, and in several cases the person who discovered the cabin and mine was unable to find it again. The search area is huge - for the Bighorn range runs a considerable distance. Fort Reno no longer exists but as the mine was some three days travel from the fort, it could be almost anywhere in the range. Key points are that it was a running stream, that there was a cabin built which was still standing some years later, and that a flume or sluice had been built.

By this time the cabin may be long gone - or the Indians may have burned it, but the gold would still be there waiting for a lucky treasure hunter to dig it up again.

I would like to hear any theories or ideas, opinions etc. My wife and I have hunted this lost mine in the southern part of the range some years ago, and had no luck but that should not discourage you. Thank you in advance,
    Oroblanco

old digger likes this.
    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    1288 times
    Hmm - over two years and no one was interested in discussing the famous Lost Cabin mine of Wyoming's Bighorn country? Strange! Oh well, good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
    Oroblanco

Charter Member
    us
    Dennis

Jan 2012
    Montana
    White's MXT
    2438 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I have been intrigued by this story since I first read about it. I don't live that far from the Big Horns and have heard that some gold was found in the northern region of the range, but that area is within the Crow reservation. And according to the written account the cabin was in the vicinity of Crazy Woman Creek.
    I just haven't been able to check it out yet, but will have to get in gear and have a look.
    ''CONTENTMENT; Is not getting what we want, but being satisfied with what we have.!''

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    1288 times
    Quote Originally Posted by old digger View Post
    I have been intrigued by this story since I first read about it. I don't live that far from the Big Horns and have heard that some gold was found in the northern region of the range, but that area is within the Crow reservation. And according to the written account the cabin was in the vicinity of Crazy Woman Creek.
    I just haven't been able to check it out yet, but will have to get in gear and have a look.
    Here is one of many many articles that appeared over the years:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lost-cabin1.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	871705

Name:	lost-cabin.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	871706

<from Aspen Daily Times (Aspen, Pitkin County); Date: Sep 19, 1897; Page: 4 >

Here is another one, claims the mine is found (1906) and in the Shoshone reservation

Name:	lost-cabin3.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	871707

Hope you enjoy these, have quite a bit on the Lost Cabin that accumulated over the years. My wife and I met a fellow who thought he may have found the mine on a little stream in the Bighorns over twenty years ago, had no cabin and was in a rough spot though.

Good luck and good hunting amigos I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
    Oroblanco
    Markomyt1 likes this.

us
    JP Gold Guy

Jan 2014
    Buffalo Wy
    Fisher
    1 times
    Oroblonco, I also share a common interest in the "Lost Cabin"..... I have been on horseback for two years looking, have come across some very interesting sites, but what i keep coming up with is nilll, i cant really even find significant gold.....or silver.....or platinum.... a few gems, I have a completely mobile prospecting set up, have been taught mining my whole life, and the grounds here are just not very promising to a prospctor. Any ideas, thoughts, or comments would greatly be appreciated!! Thank You
    Oroblanco likes this.

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    1288 times
    I wish I had some good hints to find the mine amigo but I had no luck either. A friend of ours did find some placer gold in a tiny little stream you could literally step over, but not enough to get excited about, it was on the E side of the mountain range but he did not give any details.

us
    Feb 2014
    Buffalo, Wy
    Fisher Gold Bug, F2, Whites Coinmaster, dowsing, sluicing, hand dredging, highbanker, recirc sluice.
    1 times
    Heres some links I have been studying.
    1923 Account- http://ftp.rootsweb.ancestry.com/pub...esand16gms.txt
    Original NY Times Story - LOST "CABIN" GOLD MINE AGAIN LOCATED. - Discovery of the Fabulously Rich Mine Causes a Stampede -- Wyoming Town Almost Deserted on Account of the Find. - View Article - NYTimes.com
    The Legend of the Lost Cabin Mine- Wyoming?s (Better) Version of ?National Treasure? - Wyoming Attitude

On page 40 of this WY geological Survey Report from1994 Dan Hausel makes reference to the Lost Cabin.
    http://www.wsgs.uwyo.edu/public-info.../docs/R-56.pdf

This is a strange book, they say the lost cabin is in the Wind River Range and the next story is the Lost Bighorn Placer. The 2 stories are similar and what is told today looks like a mix of the two.
    Buried Treasures of the Rocky Mountain West: Legends of Lost Mines, Train ... - W. C. Jameson - Google Books

I also live in Buffalo but have never looked for it. Heck, it could be on my property!
    Chris
    Oroblanco likes this.

Sponsors