Lost Briggs Gold Ledge Yellowstone Park

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the first listing in Terry's treasure atlas for Wyoming. In the past I never found anything on it. But my wife took over the research end of things and did find something. An old article on Jardine and Crevasse mining in Montana tells of a fishing hole and how to get there. On the way was an old prospectors cabin and told of his placer mine. The park moved it borders two miles north and ended the placer operations! The miner was not named Briggs, could some lost mines be due to the formation of the park? It will be a while till we develope our Wyoming book(s), maybe more will turn up by then.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if it is any interest to folks elsewhere, the Yellowstone region is getting snow. The other day reports of 2-5 inches, next 24 hours northern border 10-20 inches! For all those that read lost treasure stories where they find the cabin and mine but are forced to get out due to a storm it happens that way in higher elevations.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Well got a good update on the Lost Briggs Gold Ledge. First off it truly is lost from the early days when a fellow who discovered it was afraid he would be killed for the location. The site is tied to Madison County Montana and the Jardine region. Reports of sample assays were very high in gold per ton.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I found the article on when the Park boundry was moved two miles north, taking away mining claims.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Doing more work on flushing out our first The Lost Treasures of Montana book (2nd edition), I was working on the report of $40,000 in loot from a stagecoach robbery around Livingston, Montana, and we discovered there was a mess of stage hold-ups in Yellowstone Park. Besides finding what I needed, we had addition material for WY. Well anyway there was a holdup of an army payroll of $40,000, and they never got caught. Now some researcher way back when claimed it was just an interesting story. But a stage driver that was involved in the later mass hold-ups by "morphine" Charlie Reeb claimed different. So any of you ever hear of the army payroll holdup?

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Back to the old prospector who had those claims: Knowles, a pioneer of that region, whose given name I have never known, was a successful old prospector. Some years before the northern boundary of the park was extended two miles into Montana, Knowles had located some productive placer ground along Crevice Creek a short distance above its mouth and not far from the falls in the river, the falls which bears his name. With the northern extension of the park boundary, Knowles was dispossessed of his treasured claims which had during several years given him an easy independent living. Crevice Creek.jpg His claims were on Crevice Creek, just above the mouth.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
This is my next to work on for my Wyoming book. Shooting for the NW section of the state and see how much I can gather for it. The stage robberies in Yellowstone are covered, several of those 3 maps one photo, roughly 20 pages already.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread