Medicine Bow Mountain Lost Mines

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Bought some time back an interesting book on the mining camps of this region. Guess if you follow my posts you will come to the conclusion I buy up treasure books. Now there were a couple mentioned in a lost mines section. One was a lost Dalcomy mine (think that's spelled right). Well when I see that I check Terry's Wyoming atlas, here he had it. I had to wonder, hey this book is hard to find so how'd he come up with that? Fellow was offered $100,000 for it, refused to sell and then the vein pinched out. I figured it was how it became lost. That's just one of them, it was time to add something in Wyoming.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Well time to tell one, in the region of Gold Hill, there is the Lost Pick and Shovel Mine. A lone prospector named Bradfield 1864 worked a gulch and had gotten 4 ounces in two days. But was run out by Indians. He had to leave everything, hence the name. Returning with a group the next year they were unable to find it. Later it will be interesting to see what we can turn up, this story has to be in some old newspapers. Guess there is another one to post about another time.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
A rough draft of our Wyoming book is done, my wife had two lost mines for Albany county and got mad that I dropped about 11 more brief treasure leads in the county! Well if there are mentions of stuff we have to find the facts behind them.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Another in this region:
The White Iron Ledge
Yet another Medicine Bow Mountain tale of undiscovered riches was related in the Laramie Boomerang, December 20, 1894. It claimed that the silver was discovered back in 1888 by a sheep herder who collected samples. When he had them assayed he was told one assayed $20,000 in silver to the ton. He remembered picking the sample but not exactly where. Some believe the silver ledge is close to Laramie, but has never been rediscovered yet.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
We are still working on the books. Lots of info to include. This range is according to Father Desmet the source of the Native Americans gold, which he told them to never reveal to the white man. The documents surfaced in a secret compartment when the house he died in was torn down.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The nice thing about these leads is they provided the newspapers and dates, so when I do the stories up I can just hunt them down. Carbon and Albany counties are just loaded with treasure leads.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post im sure the books will do well!!!!!!

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
It doesn't really matter if they do, they will be forever. I currently have some high rankings on amazon under Lost Treasure.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
When is the book arriving? Sounds interesting.

we could rush it and have errors or go slow and try to limit errors. I have found that even proof reading a book several times a few get thru. Then we end up finding more stuff after a book is done. Since my last post I was checking online and came up with these. Cheyenne silver vein.jpg
No magic gold finder 1922.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Then sometimes I get slowed down on junk like finding this treasured pearl. The Sheiks Revenge. The Sheiks Revenge.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
We are still working on the books. Lots of info to include. This range is according to Father Desmet the source of the Native Americans gold, which he told them to never reveal to the white man. The documents surfaced in a secret compartment when the house he died in was torn down.
We have the article on the house being torn down and the finding of the papers. Now according to Legend the Native gold was in the Big Horn Mountains, but no one ever found it, could it be they searched the wrong mountains? Check this map out! Second Black Hills.jpg
Two Black Hills Ranges?

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Today put some time into tracking the stories on some of the old lost mines in the Medicine Bow Mountains. Finding the old newspaper articles plus some other good stuff. As for the mines some are in Albany County and some Carbon County. Also pulled up one that is a story covered by Jameson.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
White Iron story and the Lost Pick and Shovel have both gone from a brief paragraph mention to some rather large articles. The Bennett's ferry story covered by Jameson has been found in the old newspapers, except there is a twist to this. There was a recent story called Indian Joe I discovered in a works project book on Wyoming folklore. The Indian Joe story and Bennet's Ferry are tied to each other according to an old newspaper article.

There is more to check into left. Eventually some portions will be posted much like what I have been doing for some time.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Found the Lost Smithers Mine story this morning, it is a nice good sized article. Still looking for the one on Jim Shaw out Elk hunting and making his find. Jim Shaw story was carried by both Penfield and Terry so there has to be a newspaper article on it out there.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
So anyway continuing with the brief mentions of lost mines in that book on the topic. I came to the Seminole Mines, what little was mentioned was the year 1872 and they were a fraud! This is one of the better forgotten stories of the old days. A short search turned up 4 articles. One a reporter did a write up about his trip into the region and coming to Seminole City, a small mining camp. He included reports on the quartz and the size of the veins. It sounded like a place worth looking into with a metal detector. Our last two articles include a warning about investing money into the company, and little old ladies who's letters received no answer and had their houses foreclosed.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Bought some time back an interesting book on the mining camps of this region. Guess if you follow my posts you will come to the conclusion I buy up treasure books. Now there were a couple mentioned in a lost mines section. One was a lost Dalcomy mine (think that's spelled right). Well when I see that I check Terry's Wyoming atlas, here he had it. I had to wonder, hey this book is hard to find so how'd he come up with that? Fellow was offered $100,000 for it, refused to sell and then the vein pinched out. I figured it was how it became lost. That's just one of them, it was time to add something in Wyoming.

Back to post number 1. The Lost Dacony Mine listed by Thomas P. Terry is claimed to be in the Laramie Hills, he also places the lost Martinez Gold Mine there as well. The Lost Martinez is in northern Wyoming and I failed to find any mention elsewhere of the Lost Dacony Mine. This one could have just been a claim that was filed and nothing more. Maybe someday there might be something that turns up. There is one other who works with me on this stuff who might still turn up the elusive lead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread