Lost Cabin Mine Wind River Range

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Was reading about a fellow discovering a rich strike here in 1842, he made it to Fort Laramie and sold a couple of nuggets and word got out. A group formed to go find the stream with the gold, but were turned back by troops from the fort due to current hostile conditions. I did some checking and the U.S. Army did not operate from there until 1849?

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Now the fort had two other names in the past, but then it was for fur trading according to the story. Supposedly the military bought it in 1849. So I don't think the troops were there prior to that. Where I left off in the book is the point where a familiar name enters the story.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The first discover the fur trapper is done in the region and must have left for his home in Georgia. Now this version's author gave the fellow a name, this will be checked out once we do our research into the story for our book. My guess is nothing can be found on the guy! But the next name used is more well known, Hurlburt. We have found newspaper articles about him. More later....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread