Texarkana Bank Robbery 1894

Hey folks, I thought I'd share this tid bit that as a kid, I actualy heard from the last surviving "horses mouth" so to speak.
My gr grandfather was a teenager and fell in with a couple of older brothers and their Cousins in N. Cent. Texas on a spree of livestock theft.
They would travel to Oklahoma (Indian Territory) sell the stolen Texas stock, steal in Oklahoma, going across to Arkansas, then head back south through the Ouachitas. They were broke when the got to Texarkana, and decided to rob the First Nat. Bank there. They were caught on the banks of Big Cypress Creek just south of Mt. Vernon Texas, but they had buried the "loot" on the banks of that creek. Now the site where they tried to cross in under a lake.
Of course, no body has found the money,and I do feel like it was paper bills and had disintigrated prolly before the robbers even got out of prison. :tongue3:

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
:thumbsup: A few clues?????

Attachments

• 1894.JPG
    1894.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 829

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
wow...super old post, but has striking similarities to the bowie TX bank robbery of 1894.
you still around johnnyreb?

would love to know more, as we all know that authors of some of these seem to twist details
sounds like you have a pretty darn good source!

spent a lot of time in that area last year, between the two lakes, so i guess i was real close to whatever may have been left of a 100+ year old pile of cash!

Caleb12

Feb 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it was about $20,000 gold bullion in $20 American Eagle pieces.

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At about .96 ounces per coin that would be approximately 1000 coins or ounces 0r 62.5 lbs. of gold. Not difficult for 2 horses to carry, but you need a good set of saddle bags that are probably extra large.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread