Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    739 times

Tuscaloosa Coin Hoard

Recently, I purchased a few coins from a reputable civil war relic dealer. The coins were part of a hoard that was unearthed in Tuscaloosa, AL. The current owner of the land was digging post holes for a new fence when he unearthed a buried chest of coins. His property is along an old stage-coach line on the approach to the east of town. The coins that were unearthed indicate the burial occurred at the time of of the civil war. A reputable coin dealer in Alabama was contacted to professionally clean the coins. In return for his services, some of the coins would be available for him to purchase with the owner retaining the rest. The coins are accompanied by a notarized letter attesting to their authenticity.

Has anyone heard of local news with regards to this hoard? The coins were unearthed in the early 90's.

Apr 2005
    Alabama
    Fisher ID Excel

Re: Tuscaloosa Coin Hoard

Yes, I have! An article about this find was published in The Tuscaloosa News shortly after it was found. I do not have the date but I would estimate maybe 10 years or so ago.

The Tuscaloosa News Librarian is on sick leave now but should be back at work in late March, if this helps any. Perhaps she can locate the article for you.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    739 times

I would love to read more on this find. I'll try and make some scans of the coins that I purchased from this hoard. Great stuff.

us
    Dec 2008
    VALLEY ALABAMA
    GARRETT GTA 500
    1 times

anymore information? i live in central alabama
    STRIPPING SILVER OUT OF BANKS AT FACE

Sponsors