Lost Dutch Oven mines...

CRASH!

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2005
High Desert California
Hey all,

I've been doing some (meager) research on the Lost Dutch Oven Mines. The Clipper Mountains are located about 2 hours from me and I'm seriously considering going out there and see if I can find anything.

What I know: The mine is supposedly located high in the Northern end of the Clipper mountains. The peak is at roughly 4,000 feet in elevation, but the surrounding ground level is close to 3,000 so it's not too hard an uphill climb. I know of a few clues to look for, the water source, and the crack in the rocks.

Looking at maps and Sat. images have given me a rough idea of the lay of the land. (Google Earth rocks!)

What I haven't found is info on alot of people searching that area on foot. I read a few accounts of spotting things from the air, and Erle Stanley Gardner once visited the site, but that's all I've found.

So my question is: Has anyone been in this area? Found the Dutch Oven mine? Offer any advice?

I'm not expecting to find gold, just finding a little known mine in itself, and viewing the relics is treasure to me. (But I won't complain about finding treasure LOL)

I thought about going this weekend (So I can take a buddy) But they're prediciting triple digit temps... So it may be too hot to scramble over rocks.

While I'm headed out that way I also wanted to check out: The small ghost towns of Route 66, some WWII army camps, Amboy, etc...

Either way I'll have my digital camera and if I find anything interesting I'll post some pics.

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
I don't know anything about the mine, but good luck on your search. I hope you find some neat stuff and I can't wait to see the pics!

vicki

M

mattjd

Sounds like you live close to a lot of cool places to hunt. I'd be cool if you could get and post some pics of that ghost town and stuff. Your lucky to live so close to places like that.

HH Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread