Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    16 times

Re: Oregon's Lost Blue Bucket Diggins - A Scarce Pioneer Account of the Legend

I suspect I find it so intriguing because it is in areas I am close to and some of those areas I am somewhat familiar with. I used to elk hunt in one of the areas mentioned and have camped in some of the others. Makes me wish I had a metal detector back then! lol

pippinwhitepaws

lol, i am like that with the lost dutchman...i grew up on that one...within sight and a real hard walk...

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    16 times

Always nice to have something of interest nearby....even if you never make any big discovery you learn a great deal, don't spend as much on fuel and have an incredible time researching and poking about! I can think of much worse ways to spend time!

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    1894 times

I guess I ought to add these locations taken from the US Treasure Atlas, Vol 8 (Terry) pp 842, # 499

• A: In the area about 40 miles N of Stinking Hollows in a lava flow
    • B: Between 2 rises now known as Coyote Hills and Rabbit Hills
    • C: In the Malheur country at the hea of the Malheur river in a stream that ran SW and supposedly a branch of the Malheur
    • D: In the vicinity of a rocky peak known locally as Chicken Hawk Butte, somewhere in the Silver River area.
    • E: In a washout on the S side of Wagontire Mountain.
    • F: On Summit Prairie near a spot called Prospect Meadows along the road to Mitchell.
    • G: In the area of Foley Creek Canyon NW of Plush on either Foley Creek or Rabbit Creek.
    • H: In Tygh Valley.
    • I: In the Silvies Valley area.
    • J: In the area of the Steens Mountains.
    • K: In Mortimer Gulch.
    • L: In Spanish Gulch.
    • M: In the area of the Blue Mountains.
    • N: In the Unity District.
    • O: In the Hampton Butte area.
    • also # 486B, One suggested location of the Lost Malheur Emigrant Gold (obviously identical with Blue Bucket) is said to be just 1 or 2 days travel S of a grave marker inscribed Sarah Jane or Mary Jane Cummings or Chambers - such a gravestone was located on the N Fork of the Malheur River just above the Agency Valley Reservoir, scratched with the markings Mrs S. Chambers, Sept. 3, 1845

Not to further muddy the waters with so many locations, just adding to the info database that seems to be accumulating here.

Cynangel you have a LOT of lost treasures, lost mines, etc in Oregon, heck I feel jealous that we have "only" nineteen lost mines to hunt for here in the Black Hills - I counted thirty in just a few counties of your beautiful state and quit counting!
    Oroblanco
    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    16 times

I am ever so grateful for your so called muddying of the waters! lol I used to have the Terry's atlas set and since I don't have it now I was curious what was there regarding this. You are a God send! You are right, there are MANY lost treasures in this state and countless ghost towns as well. Even if I stuck to just the ones in the tri-county area of Central Oregon (Jefferson, Crook and Deschutes) I could keep far more busy than I am able to.....sheesh why can't a person win the lottery without buying tickets so I could just spend all my time chasing these things?

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    1894 times

HOLA amigo! I had signed off and almost forgot, I did find a good online Oregon geologic map (also terrain) it is at

http://geology.com/states/oregon.shtml

Sheesh talk about living in a treasure hunter's land - Deschutes county lists eight or nine ghost towns, Crook county has ten or eleven (depends if you count the GI Ranch, a key site for hunting the Blue Bucket gold) plus,

442 A Around 1850, four Dutchmen found a rich placer deposit in a canyon thought to be in the Ochoco Mountains and washed out a fortune. When fall arrived they cached their shovels and tools under a log and returned to California. For unknown reasons, they never returned to continue working the rich deposit in the Prineville area and it has yet to be rediscovered.

442 B In 1916, 2 miners found a dilapidated cabin in the Prineville area as well as old sluice boxes, an ancient pick and a frying pan. The relics were believed to be in the area of the Lost Four Dutchmen's gold diggings, but no mine was found in the vicinity.

442 C the Skeleton Rock Treasure, $50,000 in gold and silver coins, is buried in the area of Prineville.

443 A lost treasure is reportedly located on the Crooked River, S of Prineville and known locally as the Lost Chimney Cache.

Jefferson county has one too besides no less than TEN ghost towns,

154 Ben Smith's Mystery Mine is located near Mount Jefferson.

It IS great to have some lost treasures/lost mines to hunt virtually 'in your backyard' because we can't always take off lots of time plus the cost of traveling is so expensive now - even if something like a Lost Standoff Bar gold mine doesn't have the same glory and mystique of a Lost Dutchman, if you were lucky enough (and persistant enough) to find one it would still set you up financially so you could spend the rest of your days hunting lost treasures. (Actually this has been my plan for some time, just need to find that first great lost mine for the "setting up financially" part! )
    Oroblanco

PS I wonder why our amigos Real de Tayopa and Cactusjumper have not weighed in?

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    16 times

I do not know where they went....I expected Don Jose to chime in at the very least.

Gracias!! That map link is perfect!

Yes, all of this is in my backyard....very close indeed....I wish I had treasurenet buddies in my backyard too! lol I just looked at a newsletter for the museum in Prineville....got all excited because I saw a program about the Meeks cutoff being done.....it was NOVEMBER's newsletter! Aaaaargh! I will have to go over and see what all this Lent dude has compiled over the last three years of researching this legend.

Since I don't buy lottery tickets I will have to copy your plan....persistently research and search out some of these legends that are so close to home....the odds can't be much worse than me winning off that lottery ticket in my Christmas stocking each year and this is far more fun!

Yes Bobby...lots and lots of places to visit...now to get you all out here to visit! Perhaps you can do some research on one or more of these legends then you can check them out when you decide to visit!

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    16 times

As always Oro....thank you so very much for your input and insight!

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    1894 times

Cynangel - the Oregon Geological Survey has quite a range of helpful publications, many of which you can download free,
    http://www.oregongeology.org/sub/pub...pub%26data.htm

in particular this one might prove helpful, at least in helping to rule OUT certain areas as unlikely,
    http://www.oregongeology.org/sub/pub...GMS/gms036.pdf
    <GMS-36 Mineral resources map of Oregon, by M.L. Ferns & D.F. Huber, 1984, 1:500,000 (Supersedes QM-12 & MP-2). >

If nothing else, it might turn up some interesting places to go prospecting. The USGS has some good publications and maps that could be useful too, the search page is at:
    http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/

Google books (online) has some that might be helpful/useful too, such as

http://books.google.com/books?id=Y0s...=1&as_pt=BOOKS
    <The Mineral Resources and Mineral Industry of Oregon for 1903‎ >

http://books.google.com/books?id=i3O...=1&as_pt=BOOKS
    <IDAHO AND OREGON PLACER DEPOSITS. United States Bureau of Mines - 1915 Bulletin‎>

many more, can't always judge by the titles especially since many have just "Bulletin" which was not really the title of the publication.
    Oroblanco

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    16 times

Mucho gracias mi amigo!!

all bookmarked....got a lot to deal with tonight so probably wont be looking at them right at the moment but most certainly will later.

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    2985 times

Reedin, but not ritin just yet.

Smooch for the nice Valentine Cyan Luv.sigh

Don Jose de La Mancha
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    16 times

aha! There he is! We will await your typing mi amigo! Looking forward to your opinion on this topic! Missed you mi tropical tramp! thank you again for the valentine post.

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    2985 times

HIO: A side thngie to think about in your speculations.

My Great grandparents came across the prairies to California alone in the mid 1800's They followed a crude map and managed to cross the sierras alone, also a fantastic feat.

They told me that on one occasion they broke camp and a few miles further on found that others had made camp also, the coals were still hot. They heard a baby crying and upon investigation found a nude, abandoned baby in the grass, he had been deliberately abandoned. They took him along to California and raised him. When they died, he took over the family which was his now.

I was told that while they followed the map, basically they often were only in the general vicinity of where the map indicated. Many times the map was completely off. Even the trains had the same problem except for prominent markers.

Soo allow for a generous error except for crossings or prominent markers in your search. but remember, in good conditions, they only made a few miles daily.In mountainous regions, sometimes progress was measured in Meters.

Incidentally they were not molested by the Indians that were watching them, since the Indians considered them crazy for trying to do this and so were a bit sacred.

Don Jose d e La Mancha

p.s. Yes, this makes me a native son of California, but not of the California of today. Like ORO, I am now an Arizonian.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    God's lap
    X-terra 70 ACE 250
    16 times

wow...quite a history! Glad we got in here so you shared it with us. I have noticed the whole not movin far portion of the deal...can you imagine what they would have thought knowing how far WE travel in a day at times? I don't think they would believe it!

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    2985 times

HI cyn LUV: what most do not realize is that they were driving pigs, goats, cattle, horses, and other live stock along wih the women and children walking.

Also time had to be alloted each day for finding, making camp, then breaking camp the next morning.

In the sierras they actually had to dismantle the wagons and lower the parts down by rope, move them to the assemby area, then after bringing all together, go on for a little bit. This was repeated day after day.

One could say that we are spoiled today.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links