Oregons Lost Blue Bucket Diggins - A Scarce Pioneer Account of the Legend

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Oregon's Lost Blue Bucket Diggins - A Scarce Pioneer Account of the Legend

The Blue Bucket Diggins
A brief account from the scarce autobiography
By Colonel William Thompson​

During the succeeding years, up to 1861, there was little to distract the attention of the pioneers. My time was occupied during that period of time in assisting on the farm during summer and attending the district school during the winter. The loop holes in the wall of the old school house for rifles had been boarded up, and the larger boys no longer “toted” their guns, and stacked them in the corner.

On the east side of the Cascade mountains, however, the gentle savage was lord of all the lands over which he roamed. Here he was yet master, and therby hangs a tale. In 1945 an immigrant train attempted to enter the Oregon by way of the “Meeks cut off.” With them were the Durbins, Simmons, Tetherows, Herrins and many others I cannot now recall. The history of that journey is one of hardship, starvation, and death. After enduring sufferings such as sicken one in the bare recital the remnant staggered in the settlements, more dead than alive.

They crossed the Cascade mountains, coming down the Middle Fork of the Willamette river, and somewhere west of Harney Valley they stopped on a small stream. An old Indian trail crossed at that point, and the oxen in sliding down the bank to water uncovered a bright piece of metal. It was picked up and taken to camp, where a man who had been in the mines in Georgia pronounced it gold. He flattened it out with a wagon hammer, and was quite positive it was the precious metal. But men, women, and children subsisting on grasshoppers and crickets and fighting Indians most of the day, had something else to think about.

The incident, therefore, was soon forgotten amid the dire stress of their surroundings. But when gold was discovered at Sutter’s Fort in California, Sol Tetherow called to mind the finding of the piece of metal on the banks of the stream not far from Harney Valley. He told about it – told and retold the story, and as the stories from California grew, so grew the story of the old man, until finally he declared he could have “picked up a blue bucket full in the bed of the creek.” Hence originated the name, the “Blue Bucket Diggins.”

During the years of 1857-58-59-60 and 61, companies were formed in the valley counties to search for the “Blue Bucket Diggins.” The companies were loosely formed, with little or no discipline, and were, therefore, predestined to end in disaster. After crossing the mountains and seeing no sign of Indians, the officers had no power and less inclination to enforce discipline. There being no signs of Indians, it was useless to maintain guards; they could whip all the Indians east of the mountains, and why attempt to put on “military airs?”

Col. Thompson.jpg

They were destined to a rude awakening. Some morning about daylight, twenty or thirty red blanketed men, with hideous yells would charge the horse herds, while a hundred or more with equally hideous yells would attack the sleeping men. Then would result a stampede, those who had talked loudest and talked most about cowards, being first to lose their heads. The few cool heads would make a stand, while the savages after getting away with the horses, would beat a retreat, leaving the gold hunters to straggle afoot back across the mountains to the settlements.

These expeditions served to work off the surplus energy of the adventurous and restless, until the news arrived in the spring of 1861 of the discovery of gold in the Nez Perce mountains. The reports, as in most similar cases, were greatly exaggerated, but it served to create a genuine stampede, and while yet a boy of 14, I was drawn into that torrent rushing to the new El Dorado. In justice to the good sound sense and mature judgment of my parents, I am compelled to say that it was not with their consent that I was drawn into this wild whirlpool, but, I argued, was I not a man? Could I not ride and shoot with the best of them? And, perforce, why should I not go to the mines and make my fortune?

I went. But by way of parenthesis, will say to my young readers – Don’t.

From Reminiscences of a Pioneer, by Colonel William Thompson (Editor Alturas, Cal., Plaindealer) [San Francisco: 1912]

This excerpt was transcribed from a first edition. The entire volume is available at: http://www.books-about-california.com/Pages/Reminiscences_of_a_Pioneer/Reminiscences_main.html

Further Reading:

Thomas Probert’s Lost Mines and Buried Treasures of the West (Berkeley, CA: 1977) lists almost 3 pages of books, pamphlets, magazine and newspaper articles about the Lost Blue Bucket Diggins. Doubtless most of the items written after 1950 rely heaving on those written before.

Ruby El Hult’s Lost Mines and Treasures of the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Oregon: 1957; Fourth Edition 1974) has a very interesting Chapter Fact and Fiction of the Blue Bucket Mine. Be sure to check her bibliography and sources, as well – far too rare in treasure literature.

Bert Webber’s The Webb Research Group, Medford, Oregon, published a series of very useful pamphlets on The Oregon Trail in general and The Search for Oregon’s Lost Blue Bucket Mine; The Stephen Meek Wagon Train of 1845 – An Oregon Documentary (1992) in particular.

Finally the reliable Harry Sinclair Drago in Lost Bonanzas; Tales of the Legendary Lost Mines of the American West (New York: 1966) places the Blue Bucket Diggins in the Black Rock Desert of northwestern Nevada.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Re: Oregon's Lost Blue Bucket Diggins - A Scarce Pioneer Account of the Legend

tag post please ignore
<Thanks Bookaroo for posting this>

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

oroblanco:

You are, of course, quite welcome!

It's a well-told little tale, and deserves to be available in a format beyond a book that is at least scarce ($75 to $100 a copy). Not many people would read that book expecting to find a version of the Blue Bucket story.

From time to time I will publish these "original" versions of lost mine yarns. I do hope readers enjoy them!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

I sure do - heck I am always trolling for more information on old lost mines and treasures. You never know, one source just might have a "key" tidbit of information that will allow you to FIND one! :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

I am looking forward to all the lost mine yarns you are willing to share. That one is especially interesting since it is in my own state and I had not read very many stories about it, let alone an original one. Thanks so much for sharing!

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Cynangyl:

You are, of course, quite welcome!

If you're interested there is an astonishing amount of information out there on the Blue Bucket. Some of it is even original and useful...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

I am definitely interested! Not that I think I am going to go find it or anything but would love to compile the info together and keep it to share with others since it is more local than most of the stories. Of course I would be rather thrilled to spend some time out looking about once the weather is nicer as well....girl has got to get out and dig in the dirt occasionally to keep life in perspective! lol

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

HOLA mi amigo Cynangel! Ever considered perhaps a book project, something like "Lost Mines and Buried Treasures of Oregon"? I would buy a copy...(and ask for autograph) ;D As far as I know, no one ever has compiled the stories of the Oregon country.
Oroblanco

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Hola mi amigo Oroblanco! I would buy it too! lol I guess if it is not out there it would be a fun project to put together! :wink:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Cynangel the most recent book covering Oregon seems to be the one Bookaroo listed above, Ruby El Hult’s Lost Mines and Treasures of the Pacific Northwest - and that was written way back in 1957 and isn't focused solely on Oregon. (I don't own a copy of this book, but do plan on adding one to the collection.) Surely more information has been turned up in over 50 years, right?
Oroblanco

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

I will definitely have to see if I can find a copy of it as well. It would be a lot of fun to put together a bunch of different accounts of Oregon stories!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Guess I ought to contribute to this too - here is an extract from an article run in the New York Times newspaper Published: July 21, 1901;
Blue-Bucket-mine-1.JPG

Perhaps if enough of the source material could be compiled..... :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Very cool! Surprisingly when I was reading a book last night on the history in Crook County Oregon....really it is more a compilation of stories from the museum and papers and such there was a short portion on this as well. I think it was a newspaper article about one of the folks that settled this area. Also a couple of other stories about treasure here in Oregon. This could be a lot of fun! ;D ;D

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

So given the information that each person has read, what section of Oregon would they think this story happened or in Oregon at all? I am curious because I am reading an acct given by Old Man Pierce who was with the wagon train and it is saying a totally different area then I had ever imagined it to be from the stories I had heard in the past. Oro? Surely you have two shekels to contribute? Old Bookaroo? Anyone else??

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Cynangel wrote
what section of Oregon would they think this story happened or in Oregon at all?

That is a tough question amigo - but I think it is possible to narrow the search area down by finding the trails used by the people coming to Oregon. Here is a map as it was 1843
otmap1843.gif

compare with modern map, so it is possible the Blue Bucket gold could be outside of Oregon
otmapmodern.gif

The people who found the gold most likely were traveling the Oregon trail, and if we knew the first settlement they came to after finding the gold you then have a great marker to show where to hunt.

This site has a 'clickable' map
http://www.tomlaidlaw.com/clickable/clickable2.html
the BLM has a nice map
http://www.blm.gov/or/oregontrail/files/OregonTrailMap5a.pdf

You can go to the USGS topographic maps site and download maps free, I would think that to be a great (and cheap) step to first trace the Oregon trail, and then identify likely places to look.

Another way to get a "way point" to start from would be if any of the accounts tell of a last watering place, or some other identifiable landmark and work forward (west) from there.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Oroblanco

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Okay, so from the maps you put up I am seeing red lines in the areas I would expect them to have run across the blue bucket diggings and yet the account I am reading here of Old Man Pierce who was with the wagon train, the area he said it would be found is not along the red lines. >:( Enough to make a person nuts!! I need to find some more detailed maps and see the areas he is talking about and see if it makes sense they would be off the red lines to that area. Thanks for your input Oro......anyone else??

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Thanks Pippin!! That helps a LOT! Now I can look at both trails and the Meeks portion comes far closer to the areas this gentleman mentions. Now I am not so frustrated! lol

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

hmmmmm he might actually make sense now...not exactly on either trail yet close enough to the accounts of the Meek trail that it is plausible....thanks again Pippin for the link! :icon_study: :icon_study: :icon_study:

P

pippinwhitepaws

you are welcome... :thumbsup:

i had read about meeks cutoff before...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread