The Lost Mines of the Desert - Part IV: The Lost Papuan Diggings

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Don Jose wrote
I certainly hope that your normal vocal range hasn't been raised to soprano. Then again ------ snicker.

Hey I did mention in another thread, WOOL is a great INSULATOR! :thumbsup: :tongue3: ;D :D :o You have never been so fortunate to catch a bit of my singing voice have you? It must be heavenly, at least that is what I have heard people say, not in so many words but they DID say it was "UNEARTHLY" so they must have meant it sounded like angels singing right? :icon_scratch: ??? ;D
Oroblanco

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
cactus jumper:

Regarding Ed's books - it was my experience that if the author's name on the title page was "Jesse Rascoe," then that is how he signed his books. I have several of them signed just that way. Back in the day I wrote reviews for Western Treasures and some other treasure magazines, and he sent me copies. I also purchased quite a few directly from him. His Wyatt Earp and other gunfighter books had Ed Bartholomew on them, and that is how he signed those.

The whole question of reprints is very interesting and beyond the scope of both this post and my knowledge. There are the originals. There are the obvious crude photostatic ("Xerox") copies or other reprints. And there are a number that fall into the gray area in between. I have a Charles Michelson with an obvious original cover (has the cute little paper label carefully glued on) yet the text is a rather poor copy. Did Ed have some covers left over and decide to put out a few more? Wish I knew...

You give me too much credit regarding my knowledge of lost mines. I've happily shared what I know about the Papuan Diggings - and it just isn't a whole lot.

Regarding the LDM, at this point I may be found in the "highgrading from the Vulture Mine school." By the way, if you are ever out Wickenburg way I highly recommend a visit to that old mine - it is something to see!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
O.B.,

Thank you for that informative reply.

I believe my book is a first edition, only question is the signature. I will take a picture of it and post it this evening. I'm inclined to believe it's authentic.

There is absolutely no evidence showing that Jacob Waltz ever worked at the Vulture Mine. That is a story that has persisted for many years.

Jacob sent Julia and Rhiney to the Superstition Mountains. He pointed to them and told them that is where his mine was located. He gave specific directions on how to get to his mine that made it clear the mine was there. He did all of that well before his last few days, when he may have been confused and slipping in and out of rational thought.

This was a woman that he gave thousands of dollars to. Julia and Rhiney gave him shelter and care, after the flood, until his dying day. No one was closer to Jacob Waltz. I don't believe he would have sent them into such a dangerous place, with their deaths as a possible outcome......on a lie.

Lot's of stories circulate around Jacob Waltz. At the same time, there is a ton of contemporaneous evidence that is acceptable as fact. I prefer to believe the steak.......rather than the sizzle. It's understandable that the sizzle is what sells magazines.

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
O.B.,

Here's the signature in my book:

RascoeSignature.jpg

JesseRascoeSignature.jpg

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Joe:

Thank you for correcting me regarding the Dutchman's employment at the Vulture Mine. I am not an LDM hunter (I am far more interested in the Lost Adams). However, even if I were, I would think long and hard before attempting to dispute any LDM facts with you.

I am not an expert, and one would have to see that signature "live" (which, by the way, is the reason check forgers can't be successfully prosecuted with the modern photocopies of checks "captured" by the bank - the originals must be preserved for that) to be sure. I would think that is the real deal.

As I mentioned, there are some obvious fake Frontier Press reprints out there - I have yet to see one signed.

Which one of Ed's books is that? I don't remember seeing any with that form of "binding" Most of his pamphlets and books in "wraps" (paper covers) are "saddle-stitched" (stapled). Those large staples front-to-back look like the binding for KvonM's Treasure Hunter's Manual #6. The "Jesse Rascoe" books I am familiar with are too thin for that type of binding.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
O.B.,

Glad you weren't offended. I have a knack for speaking my mind, which is none to good anymore. Some folks would tell you it never was any good.

The book is "Old Arizona Treasures" and it is stapled together, and then the cover is glued on. I was pretty sure it was the real thing.

I thought I knew a lot about the LDM, until I joined the LDM Forum and managed to meet and become friends with the real experts. I never looked for the mine, on my own, but have family who had claims they believed were Jake's mine. That would be my mother's uncle, and my dad's brother. Neither man knew the other until late in their lives. It's kinda in my blood.

I spent my (personal) time looking for Jesuit Treasure, and eventually graduated to Harry LaFrance's cave of gold bars. I turn 64 Feb. 10th. and made my first trip into the Supe's when I was 13. I have heard a lot of stories.

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Thom,

The feathers with beads, the rocks and the bag of Tule Pollen were all a gift from a friend who was raised on the San Carlos Apache Reservation. He is one of the most knowledgeable historians I know. If I have a question on the history of Arizona, the Apache or the LDM legends, he is a primary source.

I am blessed with knowing and being friends with a number of such people. They are all very generous with their time and knowledge. To be honest, they are the giants who's shoulders we all stand on.

Take care,

Joe

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evening CJ my esteemed friend: You posted --->

have a knack for speaking my mind, which is none to good anymore. Some folks would tell you it never was any good
~~~~~~~~~~
Frankly, I have nothing to add snicker.

Don Jose de La Mancha

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Don Jose, my reputable friend,

Once again, you have swiftly proceeded to the heart of the matter. Your insightful analysis of my carefully couched self appraisal, distills the entire confusing mess into a few succinct, well chosen words.

I am enthralled, as I tiptoe through the flowered minefields of your repartee. :thumbsup:

Take care,

Joe

;D

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
cactus jumper:

I am in agreement with you - I think that is an original copy of Old Arizona Treasures.

When I wrote about the "pamphlet" format books, I was thinking about The Golden Crescent, Western Treasures Lost & Found, More Western Treasures, Some Western Treasure Trails, etc.

Both Southern California Treasures (1969) and Old Arizona Treasures (1968) are very professional large-size paperbacks. They have slick (glossy) cream colored covers. OAT has a map in dark red on the cover, as well (is this Father Sierra's map? Not enough shown for me to tell - it is, of course, quite interesting).

I wonder if Ed stopped doing his own printing and binding and had these done at another shop.

Anyway, I absolutely agree with you - you sure appear to have a nice, signed original copy. Hold onto it!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
O.B.,

The map on the front cover of "old Arizona Treasures" looks very much like a later copy of Kino's map of Pimeria Alta, from 1705. Bolton did a number of these kinds of maps, and it would not surprise me to find out this was one of them.

I have copies of many of those maps, so I will look through them.

Take care,

Joe

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 476

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread