UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meh, I may just fire off a FOIA request to the Smithsonian Institute, and ask them all about these giant mummies they are hiding from the public! I am skeptical there are any such giant mummies, but who knows!

Aug 12, 2014
OKLA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all! I'm headed out to the Panamints next month to research 2 of the Quays mentioned in Bourke Lee's book.
Any info on the Panamint are would be helpful. Thx

Just returned 2-14-15. I realize why no one has been inside yet. The entrance is very hard to get to. Had to walk almost 20 miles through the desert & mountains to get to it. I'm very sore from the excursion. Some of the dry falls were 30 ft tall. Lots of climbing. Will send more info and pics once I recover some. You CAN see the Quays from the highway early in the morning before the humidity hazes everything up. You have to know where to look though, as the shadows hide a lot. I believe the old city lies farther south at Wingate pass. 40 miles or so through the cavern. That will be another trip; one of many. I am going to research and try to use some newer technology to get better reconnaissance of areas I have not gotten to. First up on the list is a drone with gimble/gopro. An Iridium phone would be useful, as well as some sort of power supply. A helicopter flyby is also on my list. :)

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2014
OKLA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears others are winding up to increase in the search for the Lost City. There is a TV program that's going to do a special on the Death Valley Giants. Other parties are searching the hills now too. I guess the race is on! Last one there had better bring a case of beer!

rockwildmusic

Feb 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you still active on here? I live in vegas and would love to connect with you and find out more info that you may have, in regards to the city underground in death valley. How may I reach you?

rockwildmusic

Feb 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you still active on here? I live in vegas and would love to connect with you and find out more info that you may have, in regards to the city underground in death valley. How may I reach you?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
This one isn't in Death Valley, but it echoes the initial post:

A CITY IN THE DESERT.

THE DISCOVERY OF A PATRY [sic] OF YUMA PROSPECTORS.

In Searching for the Pegleg Mine They Came Across the Ruins of a City Built by a Prehistoric Race.

San Diego, July 22. The ruins of a prehistoric city have just been discovered by a party of prospectors from Yuma, while on the Colorado desert in search of the Peg-Leg mine. The wind had laid bare the walls and remains of stonebuildings for a distance of 420 feet in length by 260 feet in width. Gigantic pillars, quaintly carved to represent dragons' heads and rattlesnakes, still stand in the sands of the desert, supporting on their tops huge slabs of granite weighing many tons. The frieze ornamentation resembled Egyptian sculpture and exhibited a greater degree of skill than is possessed by the Indian artisans of the present day.

Fragments of pottery were found underneath the debris, and together with a crumbled piece of frieze, were brought by Hank Ferguson, one of the prospectors, to this city. One of his associates came to San Diego and the others returned to Yuma nearly two weeks ago, but the story of their discovery was carefully guarded in the hope that in some way they might profit by it. Ferguson called the matter to the attention of H. C. Gordon, who interested John H. Gay, jr., a wealthy man of this city, in the discovery and a week ago yesterday, in company with four others, they went to the desert to explore the rivers. They were driven back by a sandstorm, reaching this city today, but will make a careful examination of the rivers later in the season, when the conditions are favorable for an extended exploration.

From the relics exhibited it is evident that an important archaeologicaldiscovery has been made.

Los Angeles Herald
, 23 July 1893 (Vol. XL, No. 10)

------- o0o -------

I first posted that article in the Pegleg Thread. I recommend reviewing that, as there was a follow-up post to it:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/lost-peg-leg-mine/385963-peg-leg-smith-chronicles.html

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
This one isn't in Death Valley, but it echoes the initial post:

A CITY IN THE DESERT.

THE DISCOVERY OF A PATRY [sic] OF YUMA PROSPECTORS.

In Searching for the Pegleg Mine They Came Across the Ruins of a City Built by a Prehistoric Race.

San Diego, July 22. The ruins of a prehistoric city have just been discovered by a party of prospectors from Yuma, while on the Colorado desert in search of the Peg-Leg mine. The wind had laid bare the walls and remains of stonebuildings for a distance of 420 feet in length by 260 feet in width. Gigantic pillars, quaintly carved to represent dragons' heads and rattlesnakes, still stand in the sands of the desert, supporting on their tops huge slabs of granite weighing many tons. The frieze ornamentation resembled Egyptian sculpture and exhibited a greater degree of skill than is possessed by the Indian artisans of the present day.

Fragments of pottery were found underneath the debris, and together with a crumbled piece of frieze, were brought by Hank Ferguson, one of the prospectors, to this city. One of his associates came to San Diego and the others returned to Yuma nearly two weeks ago, but the story of their discovery was carefully guarded in the hope that in some way they might profit by it. Ferguson called the matter to the attention of H. C. Gordon, who interested John H. Gay, jr., a wealthy man of this city, in the discovery and a week ago yesterday, in company with four others, they went to the desert to explore the rivers. They were driven back by a sandstorm, reaching this city today, but will make a careful examination of the rivers later in the season, when the conditions are favorable for an extended exploration.

From the relics exhibited it is evident that an important archaeologicaldiscovery has been made.

Los Angeles Herald
, 23 July 1893 (Vol. XL, No. 10)

------- o0o -------

I first posted that article in the Pegleg Thread. I recommend reviewing that, as there was a follow-up post to it:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/lost-peg-leg-mine/385963-peg-leg-smith-chronicles.html

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Nice post Old Bookaroo! Thanks for sharing it!

Please do continue...

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Oroblanco:

It doesn't take me long to tell all that I know.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Oroblanco:

It doesn't take me long to tell all that I know.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Hahaha! Good one buddy but I must respectfully disagree, and would LOVE to have a chance to pick YOUR brain! Thanks again,
Roy

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread