Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Death Vally Mummies, Underground City

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2007
    11173 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp View Post
    Who or what are the rolling stones?? The ones on the dry lake in D Valley ??

Don Jose de La Mancha
    LOL! And rolling stones gathers NO moss...

us
    Erv

Aug 2014
    OKLA
    Gold Bug
    11 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    It appears others are winding up to increase in the search for the Lost City. There is a TV program that's going to do a special on the Death Valley Giants. Other parties are searching the hills now too. I guess the race is on! Last one there had better bring a case of beer!
    In it for the thrill of the Hunt!

Feb 2018
    3 times
    Are you still active on here? I live in vegas and would love to connect with you and find out more info that you may have, in regards to the city underground in death valley. How may I reach you?
    Oroblanco likes this.

Feb 2018
    3 times
    Are you still active on here? I live in vegas and would love to connect with you and find out more info that you may have, in regards to the city underground in death valley. How may I reach you?
    Oroblanco and Rebel - KGC like this.

um
    Dec 2008
    2672 times
    This one isn't in Death Valley, but it echoes the initial post:

A CITY IN THE DESERT.

THE DISCOVERY OF A PATRY [sic] OF YUMA PROSPECTORS.

In Searching for the Pegleg Mine They Came Across the Ruins of a City Built by a Prehistoric Race.

San Diego, July 22. The ruins of a prehistoric city have just been discovered by a party of prospectors from Yuma, while on the Colorado desert in search of the Peg-Leg mine. The wind had laid bare the walls and remains of stonebuildings for a distance of 420 feet in length by 260 feet in width. Gigantic pillars, quaintly carved to represent dragons' heads and rattlesnakes, still stand in the sands of the desert, supporting on their tops huge slabs of granite weighing many tons. The frieze ornamentation resembled Egyptian sculpture and exhibited a greater degree of skill than is possessed by the Indian artisans of the present day.

Fragments of pottery were found underneath the debris, and together with a crumbled piece of frieze, were brought by Hank Ferguson, one of the prospectors, to this city. One of his associates came to San Diego and the others returned to Yuma nearly two weeks ago, but the story of their discovery was carefully guarded in the hope that in some way they might profit by it. Ferguson called the matter to the attention of H. C. Gordon, who interested John H. Gay, jr., a wealthy man of this city, in the discovery and a week ago yesterday, in company with four others, they went to the desert to explore the rivers. They were driven back by a sandstorm, reaching this city today, but will make a careful examination of the rivers later in the season, when the conditions are favorable for an extended exploration.

From the relics exhibited it is evident that an important archaeologicaldiscovery has been made.

Los Angeles Herald
    , 23 July 1893 (Vol. XL, No. 10)

------- o0o -------

I first posted that article in the Pegleg Thread. I recommend reviewing that, as there was a follow-up post to it:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/lost-peg-leg-mine/385963-peg-leg-smith-chronicles.html

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    Last edited by Old Bookaroo; Mar 13, 2018 at 01:06 PM.
    Oroblanco and Simon1 like this.
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    7533 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bookaroo View Post
    This one isn't in Death Valley, but it echoes the initial post:

A CITY IN THE DESERT.

THE DISCOVERY OF A PATRY [sic] OF YUMA PROSPECTORS.

In Searching for the Pegleg Mine They Came Across the Ruins of a City Built by a Prehistoric Race.

San Diego, July 22. The ruins of a prehistoric city have just been discovered by a party of prospectors from Yuma, while on the Colorado desert in search of the Peg-Leg mine. The wind had laid bare the walls and remains of stonebuildings for a distance of 420 feet in length by 260 feet in width. Gigantic pillars, quaintly carved to represent dragons' heads and rattlesnakes, still stand in the sands of the desert, supporting on their tops huge slabs of granite weighing many tons. The frieze ornamentation resembled Egyptian sculpture and exhibited a greater degree of skill than is possessed by the Indian artisans of the present day.

Fragments of pottery were found underneath the debris, and together with a crumbled piece of frieze, were brought by Hank Ferguson, one of the prospectors, to this city. One of his associates came to San Diego and the others returned to Yuma nearly two weeks ago, but the story of their discovery was carefully guarded in the hope that in some way they might profit by it. Ferguson called the matter to the attention of H. C. Gordon, who interested John H. Gay, jr., a wealthy man of this city, in the discovery and a week ago yesterday, in company with four others, they went to the desert to explore the rivers. They were driven back by a sandstorm, reaching this city today, but will make a careful examination of the rivers later in the season, when the conditions are favorable for an extended exploration.

From the relics exhibited it is evident that an important archaeologicaldiscovery has been made.

Los Angeles Herald
    , 23 July 1893 (Vol. XL, No. 10)

------- o0o -------

I first posted that article in the Pegleg Thread. I recommend reviewing that, as there was a follow-up post to it:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/lost-peg-leg-mine/385963-peg-leg-smith-chronicles.html

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    Nice post Old Bookaroo! Thanks for sharing it!

Please do continue...

SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

um
    Dec 2008
    2672 times
    Oroblanco:

It doesn't take me long to tell all that I know.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    Oroblanco and Simon1 like this.
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    7533 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bookaroo View Post
    Oroblanco:

It doesn't take me long to tell all that I know.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    Hahaha! Good one buddy but I must respectfully disagree, and would LOVE to have a chance to pick YOUR brain! Thanks again,
    Roy

Simon1, Rebel - KGC and sdcfia like this.
    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links