GA gold "Waterhouse treasure" possibly on "Rocky Face" mountain.

Elliott_C

Sep 20, 2015
Monte Vista, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of people have been looking for the gold in the wrong area, there is a Rockyface mtn near Fort mtn in murry county,ga.
I have worked on this treasure story for about 40 years and as GoldenTimes said above, the Rocky Face in the story is not the one at Dalton.
34.8275814°,-84.6104884°

Those are the coordinates for Rocky Face mountain in Murray County, GA. I have also attached a picture of its location; the pic is from a Chattahoochee National Forest map.

I went down there last weekend to snoop around. I didn’t come across a single cave. Didn’t see an elf or fairy or mountain monster, either. Wild hogs were pretty active, though. Pretty disappointing trip, although it was nice to just get out and hike and camp.

If this cave even exists, the only way to find it is to know information that nobody else knows about its location, information that puts you right at the entrance. The chances of stumbling over a hole in the ground that happens to be this cave are about 1 in a gazillion. I think the only way to chance upon it would be to grid off sections of the mountain and search foot-by-foot.

Remember, the legend says that Waterhouse’s dog found it for him; Waterhouse himself could never find it again. I guess he never took his dog back up there with him.

rockyface.jpg

Last edited:

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Sorry you didn't have any luck. I'm familiar with that area (used to work for Shaw and would travel to the small carpet mill towns off I75 and rural N GA. Thanks for posting the coordinates - is the Mountain name still posted on local signage ? Doesn't take long to get turned around out there without a gps (maybe that's just me). . Did you take the Old CCC Road from Eton ?

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A lot of researchers put the treasure cave on the Cohuta Mountains, not Rocky face.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

One things for sure, this part of GA (N-NE) is wonderful to explore if you like the Mississippi & Woodland Indian history, considering that nearly all evidence they even existed has been destroyed over the centuries. The mounds at Etowah are one of the biggest if not largest in the eastern US and date back to 1000 AD. There's not much left unfortunately beside the earthwork foundations but you get an idea of what the culture was capable of before Europeans mowed it down.

Elliott_C

Sep 20, 2015
Monte Vista, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A lot of researchers put the treasure cave on the Cohuta Mountains, not Rocky face.
But Rocky Face is in the Cohutta mountain range, just beyond the southern end of the Cohutta Wilderness. Are you referring to something different?

Ryano said:
is the Mountain name still posted on local signage ? Doesn't take long to get turned around out there without a gps (maybe that's just me). . Did you take the Old CCC Road from Eton ?
I didn't see a sign for Rocky Face anywhere. NF has signs up for various trailheads around the area, but none of them mention Rocky Face, and none of the trails lead to Rocky Face; in order to get on that mountain, you have to bushwack. I'm pretty confident with a compass and a map, but mainly that's because I don't know how to use GPS technology, nor can I afford it. And yes, I took CCC Road from Eton; it's a good road. Looks like NF did a lot of road rebuilding once you get into the actual forest, and all of the roads are good enough for little coupes and sedans to use.

GoldenTimes

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2014
Detector(s) used
White detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter is almost here and time to continue the search on rockyface mountain,less leaves on the trees and can see a lot more. Months turn into years and we're still looking, so many holes to crawl into not enough time! 2 mile walk to get to base of rockyface but well worth it to be outdoors!

GoldenTimes

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2014
Detector(s) used
White detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to bring your gold pan with you to Cohutta, sometimes get lucky and find pockets here and there.

Attachments

• 20160719_172709.jpg
    20160719_172709.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 148

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just joined this site today and I'm already looking for a big shovel (for all the BS).

Myself I like $27. having fourteen cents. You are lucky to get to thirty dollars.

Almada

Nov 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
I look for a GPR system for buying . I want a system for Ancient tomb scaning in deep.Please help me.

nlwolfe20

Dec 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold is not where they said

cherokee lore also includes the moon eyed people, who were an average of 3.5 feet tall, that the cherokee evicted {along with the creek tribes} from the area of n.c. and ga. when they first arrived........also another tribe of little people, near same size, that came many years later, stayed a short while, then went west......these may have been the melungeans from the west virginia area.......indian lore also has stories of giants with red hair, and 12.5 ft tall skeletons have been found to back this, so i would not think it too far fetched that there were little people, and spirit people, some of whom are guardians of the underworld.............some scientist say we evolved from apes...do you believe this is where you came from ? or do you believe in a higher power starting life ?........gldhntr

Hello everyone, idk about anyone else but I'm going to go with grizzly bare on this, simply because I too have witnessed these little spirit watchers... and they were far from nice, but what gets me is, it was not on rocky face mountain, it was on a ridge though and I seen the spirit of the children who show themselves where there is gold buried... I know where this is and that's all I'm going to say.. I sure don't want to be visited by these guys no more, they are the mischievous ones... one love

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andrews got a lot of the material for his book from Dr. A. S. Furcron, Ga. Geologist, who had his office in the State Capitol building in downtown Atlanta. My father was a Rockhound, and back in the 50's I would ride over with my father on one of his many visits to Furcron's office, usually on a Friday afternoon before one of Dad's weekend forays into the mountains searching for various mineral specimens, of which we had an extraordinary collection in our basement. Furcron had notes and maps about all kinds of mineral deposits, gold mines, Indian sites, and he also collected treasure stories from all over the state of Georgia. I remember him as being much older than my father, and there was always a layer of excitement when he would begin pulling maps and notes from his file drawers. His directions were for the road system as it existed then, and there were always references to turning at large trees, big boulders, cornfields, log cabins, barns, and the like, along with the names of farmers and property owners to contact about getting permission to search on their property. We were never refused permission by anyone, it was a different world then. Many of the mountain roads that we traveled were yet to be paved, and sometimes were impassable, so we would work our way around and come in from another direction. I know Furcron was real and so were his maps and notes which would put us right on top of some very rich mineral collecting areas, gold mines, and etc.. I have always wondered who ended up with all the information he had compiled while he worked for the State. Might be some better details about this particular treasure in his papers if they still exist.

Last edited:

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

I did a bit of internet research on Dr. Aurelius Sydney Furcron (what a name !). He was the top expert geologist of the South and maybe the best regarded in the entire country in his time, according to several obituary tributes. He produced definitive mineral surveys of VA and GA as well as the Appalachians.

For those interested---

Googling his name "Furcron geologist" returned plenty of info.

A bibliography of published research papers and surveys:

ftp://rock.geosociety.org/pub/Memorials/v03/Furcron-AS.pdf

A search for a particular title on that list you should return a link to whatever university website or organization that hosts the material.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread