Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi been reading a bit of your postings on the forum. I live in Nevada and Weston. Am an miner out here and have just done some beach detecting in Florida. Can you suggest more interesting areas to md down there? I find it really crummy that most areas you can't detect parks and have to beg borrow from people to get permissions do do anything down there. So used to Nevada with opens lands less people and doing whatever you want pretty much. Just the big city thing I guess. Oh fyi your mailbox is full couldn't send you a private.

I will be spending the winter again in the area Nov to April. My wife works full time there and I am here in Nevada working a few gold mines I have and doing a internet mining show.

Truthfully I no longer metal detect anywhere but the beach. I'm just not certain of the laws in Florida. Private property should be good. Old houses all have silver coins.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most city and county parks are okay, few counties require free permit, so check the county you will be in. Orange county requires permit, others I'm not aware of. Beaches are open from in the water to sea walls on 99% of beaches. In Sebastian Inlet to Vero beach area stay out of water, it is part of the treasure leases. You can hunt there from mean low tide line to toe of the dunes legally.

DT2016

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Kenpodetector. I started MDing in the 70s when it was called coinshooting. But lately I have become very disillusioned with metal detecting in South Florida for the same reasons you mentioned and I may have been a bit naive when I started this thread years ago. . It seems that everything is protected and its a pain to get permission anywhere. I find that most city parks here in Broward and Miami are off limits outside of the sand in the tot lots... or they just dont want you digging holes. If you find anything older than 50 years, I think, you cant keep it anyway. So I actually quit detecting for fear of being arrested.

But it happens to be that I would like to start MDing again and it happens to be I could use a partner. If you want to hit the beach, let me know. If I get any ideas or free time, I will certainly let you know. And I have a few ideas just not sure if its worth trying to get permission. I dont even know how to begin to ask. And thanks for telling me about my email. I need to clear it out but when I last tried it said "Invalid Private Message specified". .

I think some of the best potential sites lie under roads or sidewalks. Forget about Weston but get into an old section of town and look for road construction.. Underneath a roadbed is rarely protected if you can work around the barricades.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Last edited:

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey now that sounds like a plan. I would love to meet up with you when I am in for a stint (Aug 10 -20). I spent last winter there and it was okay. I grew up in Chicago so I know how the big city life goes except we didn't have CCR and guard gates everywhere. But at least the wife feels more safe (Weston). Me I am much happier with 5 acres plus as my back yard and open land as far as I can see. But that's a whole other discussion. PM me with an email address and we can exchange info. Maybe we can meet up. Otherwise I wont be back down till sometime in November for my winter hibernation. And I will be driving my Triumph motorcycle cross country in Nov (yes I know. It will be the far south route) Also I will have my new toy a whites V3I I just purchased to play with down there and the work horse MXT that's hanging in the garage there.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It seems that metal detecting in Miami and Dade is a little different than the rest of Florida. However there may be some city parks that are legal to hunt. I don't know.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that metal detecting in Miami and Dade is a little different than the rest of Florida. However there may be some city parks that are legal to hunt. I don't know.

Times they are a changing. And things are a changing.

Almost makes you feel good to have peace when you leave it all begind.

Great to see you posting and well.
V

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread contains a lot of great information,both pro and con concerning several CSA treasure legends in Florida and the actual history behind them,during the days of the War of Northern Aggression,the Everglades extending further north than today,and there may exist a lost 50lbs of gold specie CSA cattle payment in Corkscrew Swamp.
I purchased an 1850's #108 Atlas of the United States of Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina at an antique store in Palatka last Wednesday.
What is interesting is that it shows a 3 mile wide finger of the Everglades starting near Fort Simon Drum and extending north to Fort Denaud on the Caloosahatchee River, east of what was Union Fort Meyers in the 1860's.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
During the War of Northern Agression some of the Seminoles joined the cause of the south.
John Jumper became a Colonel in the Confederate Army.It may be possible that the Confederate relics found at "the last camping place" were from Confederate Seminole soldiers returned from the war.
What has not been established from the legend is:
Timeline of the pursuit,or that matter,if it actually ever happened.It seems all the versions of this Confederate gold and Union chase legend lead back to Florida State Game Officer L P Harvey.Another source needs to be found to confirm the events of this tale.

Here is Florida Game Officer Lonnie Harvey. https://www.facebook.com/alligatorr...214991315080/2154217901314789/?type=3&theater

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
What is that ringed object in the early 40s photo? Is that some kind of tracking device or very early metal detector?

harvey equipment on airboat.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thats probably the airboat he used to discover the Lost City. Im not sure if this link has been posted here yet from the Sun-Sentinel on May 18, 2014.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-lost-city-20140517-story.html

It was featured in the now-defunct Fort Lauderdale Daily News in 1949, after a couple of Davie hunters flew over it in a Piper Cub and fought their way back to it in an airboat.

Yet to this day, no one is exactly sure who — besides the tribes — took advantage of Lost City's remote location.

"It certainly is a place that conjures up all kinds of myths and stories," Carr said. "It's an Everglades legend."

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread