Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Living in Davie and working in downtown Ft. Lauderdale I would be willing to do some research in Town if I can come along with my MD...for the glory. I know all the politicals that would be needed to get the right access. The history of my home is that of the 7 Isle of Sam Jones (Abiaka (a.k.a. Sam Jones) Was a powerful spiritual leader who used his "medicine" to stir Seminole warriors into a frenzy.). My wife and I own one of the last privately owned properties on the Oak Hammock.

If'n ya want to do the research yourself Ive got an extra bed and am a mean cook (as long as I am in Town...I travel often on weekends).
([email protected])
My friend lives down the street from Tree Tops. Did you find anything on your property?

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
As you know the Everglades is huge. Finding the gold would be like finding a needle in a haystack. It can be done. Sometimes the best way to find the needle is to jump in. If the gold is out there you have to dig to get to it. Don't underestimate dowsing. Marc's story is crazier than using a pendulum to locate metal in the ground. Do you believe Marc's story? I don't know him, but he believes it. He has obviously seen enough to prove it to himself.

That's how it is was with Ovid. I saw plenty to make me a believer. You don't have to believe him, just give me a chance to prove it. Talk to the indians when you can. If it is meant to be, it will happen.

I have no problem using dowsing as a last resort to find a known treasure but in this case we do not know it exists. Show me where does it says Confederate gold is buried in the Everglades? (besides the treasure books and 40s newsclippings)

If I knew for sure the gold existed, I might try the Ouija Board.

As far as dowsing, I am willing to try and believe but I dont know if the Indians believe in dowsing.

I was always curious about dowsing. Why didnt you take Ovid to the beach and load up on gold rings and jewelry? Every beach is loaded with lost gold its a known fact. You could have driven from Florida to Maine and come back with a trunkload of gold jewelry.:icon_scratch: I guess dowsing doesnt work that way. :dontknow:

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see this thread is active again. It didn't show up on my "subscribed threads". Unfortunately, the guy I used to do work for on Big Cypress Res. (and Hollywood Res.) passed away last year so I haven't been out there in a while. Nothing additional to offer yet, other than I have a nice vintage Ouiji board if you need it BigC. :laughing7:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
BCH-You may not believe in stories, but that is all you will ever find about the gold. What are you hoping to come up with? A copy of a receipt for the gold shipment? A signed map showing where it is hidden? An old photo showing them burying it? I think you are just trying to convince yourself it's just a "story" so that you never really have to dig. ALL the information available from 150 years ago could be considered "stories".

When you say that the indians do not believe in the gold I think you misconstrued what I said. When I called on the phone to try to talk to the indian chief I had to go thru other people. I got as far as a guy named Ralph who for all I know is a "white" man. He said they had heard the "stories" about gold for years and did not particularily think they were true. He kept asking me questions about the gold as if he may have believed in its existence. He said the only way he would let me speak to the "chief" was if I could show proof that it was there.

That is part of the problem with treasure hunting in general, especially cache hunting. How much "proof" can anyone have? The only way to really prove it exists is to dig it up. I am ready to try to do that. At least I have the guts to put it all on the line.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Another possibility for Harvey's "CONFEDERATE CAMP"

In September, 1944, it was reported that State Game Officer L. P. Harvey led a small party into the Everglades and located what they believed to have been the last camping place of the Confederates, almost hidden by undergrowth but identified by Confederate relics found there. The site was described as being located at the point of an angle formed by a line 40 miles due west of Ft. Lauderdale, and another line due northwest of the Miami City Hall until it met the first line.
Deserters from Confederate armies in South Carolina and Georgia made their escape to South Florida and had camps throughout the Everglades.They were called "YELLOWNECKS",and formed bands that robbed and looted farms in that area.These yellownecks became so vicious in their activities that BOTH sides,UNION and CONFEDERATE had shoot on sight orders concerning these outlaw bands.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I understand you believe no matter what. I understand you believe in dowsing and electronic LRLs. I want to believe but would like to see something besides a story made for treasure books.

We are not talikng about Uncle Harry's hidden cache. We are talking about a wagon load of goverment gold. I cant even find record that Capt Riley or any Confederate ever entered the deep Everglades let alone a detachment of troops with a wagonload of gold.

What are you hoping to come up with? A copy of a receipt for the gold shipment? A signed map showing where it is hidden? An old photo showing them burying it?
I never asked for any of those things. For starters I would like to find record of ANY detachment of Confederate troops this deep in the Everglades. It doesnt take much for me to believe but we cant even find that!

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Deserters from Confederate armies in South Carolina and Georgia made their escape to South Florida and had camps throughout the Everglades.They were called "YELLOWNECKS",and formed bands that robbed and looted farms in that area.These yellownecks became so vicious in their activities that BOTH sides,UNION and CONFEDERATE had shoot on sight orders concerning these outlaw bands.
Very possible. I reread the newspaper clipping and Im not convinced the finds are from a Confederate detachment.

Where does it say deserters made it to South Florida? Do you have a link?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
When you say that the indians do not believe in the gold I think you misconstrued what I said.
Ok but this gold rumor has been going around at least since 1946. Its nothing new and most people dont believe it. The reason I started this thread was to find proof THAT ITS TRUE or COULD BE TRUE. I want it to be true.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I see this thread is active again. It didn't show up on my "subscribed threads". Unfortunately, the guy I used to do work for on Big Cypress Res. (and Hollywood Res.) passed away last year so I haven't been out there in a while. Nothing additional to offer yet, other than I have a nice vintage Ouiji board if you need it BigC. :laughing7:
How much do you want for it?

Since you last checked ECS has identified Capt Riley as a famous blockade runner, Bramblefind and I have found the legend in 1949 newspapers and Bigdogdad says his partner dowsed the exact location and verified gold with an LRL.. I have agreed to ask permission when I go back to work in Sept.

You wont be seeing me in the What Is It Forum anymore. I finally got fed up with the new site. I just dont like it and its slow. Besides that I lost thousands of images deleted from the WII archives. All my hard work was not saved. Since the new TN is not interested in eliminating useless features, making the site more user freindly, or saving the archives, Im finished helping.

Attachments

• swamp gold spatanburg herald.jpg
    swamp gold spatanburg herald.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand you believe no matter what. I understand you believe in dowsing and electronic LRLs. I want to believe but would like to see something besides a story made for treasure books.

We are not talikng about Uncle Harry's hidden cache. We are talking about a wagon load of goverment gold. I cant even find record that Capt Riley or any Confederate ever entered the deep Everglades let alone a detachment of troops with a wagonload of gold.

I never asked for any of those things. For starters I would like to find record of ANY detachment of Confederate troops this deep in the Everglades. It doesnt take much for me to believe but we cant even find that!
One point that I have made-If you add up all the amounts of lost Confederate gold legends in all the states that have these legends,it would add up to over 20 times more gold than the CSA TREASURY ever had at its peak assets.
The Confederate Treasury also kept great records-check the links signal provided.The Dalonega ,Ga $38,570 in gold bars lost is recorded there,but no mention of a 1/2 ton or any other major losses.
Towards the end of the war,the CSA had less than $200,000 of gold in their coffers.
Every legend has a kernal of fact in its tale,the only kernal I have found is"Harvey found a possible Confederate campsite". The rest appear to be embellishments ,created to sell newspapers and treasure magazines.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bigdogdad I still dont understand why you and Ovid didnt go to the beaches and dowse some gold jewelry? Does it work this way?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Very possible. I reread the newspaper clipping and Im not convinced the finds are from a Confederate detachment.

Where does it say deserters made it to South Florida? Do you have a link?
I was on so many sites,some historical,some Florida family blog sites,I did not write down the several sites that contained this information.
Word of caution if you google:There is an old movie,"YELLOWNECKS"-this is NOT where I found the information.
One site I did write down- Books | Florida Historical Society -
It contains a month by month timeline of all Florida events during 1861-1865,including the capture and cargo of the blockade runners.Take your time with this site-a great source of information,but the presentation is tedious.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
One point that I have made-If you add up all the amounts of lost Confederate gold legends in all the states that have these legends,it would add up to over 20 times more gold than the CSA TREASURY ever had at its peak assets.
The Confederate Treasury also kept great records-check the links signal provided.The Dalonega ,Ga $38,570 in gold bars lost is recorded there,but no mention of a 1/2 ton or any other major losses.
Towards the end of the war,the CSA had less than $200,000 of gold in their coffers.
Every legend has a kernal of fact in its tale,the only kernal I have found is"Harvey found a possible Confederate campsite". The rest appear to be embellishments ,created to sell newspapers and treasure magazines.
Im not concerned about the amount. It could be exagerrated and I dont care if it was one bag of gold coins. I am looking for proof that a detachment of troops with a wagon entered the Everglades.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I was on so many sites,some historical,some Florida family blog sites,I did not write down the several sites that contained this information.
Word of caution if you google:There is an old movie,"YELLOWNECKS"-this is NOT where I found the information.
One site I did write down- Books | Florida Historical Society -
It contains a month by month timeline of all Florida events during 1861-1865,including the capture and cargo of the blockade runners.Take your time with this site-a great source of information,but the presentation is tedious.
OK great. A Historical Society is supposed to be the source.

I wonder how they messed up on Fort Knox unless the news added this embellishment. http://www.knox.army.mil/documents/CivilWar_Brochure.pdf

Last edited:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I actually did take Ovid to the beach. I also took him out in the gulf. I took him to the Everglades. I took him as far north as Pennsylvania. The beach was part of an elaborate test we did with him. He passed the test. I was not after trinkets. Maybe I should have been. When I saw what his powers were I decided to take him to as many places that I could before he died. That is why I have so many potential treasure sites.

I chose to put my initial dig efforts into the pirate chests in Englewood. Big mistake. Too hard to dig because of the water table. Made a big mess. Lost credibility with relatives. Backed off from treasure digging. Attempted other ventures. Time passed. Now old man myself. Ready to dig. Let's go. No B.S.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
OK I think I understand but yes, you should have been and sorry about the credibility loss.. There is probably more gold on Florida beaches than anywhere else and all the dowsing stories that I read all seem to end the same. Why not take a sure thing? I always wondered why a good dowser doesnt just go to the beach everyday and load up on gold. With gold in every direction, maybe a dowsing rod doesnt know which way to point?

Treasure Coast does not contain just "trinkets." Spanish doubloons can be very valuable and they are without any shadow of a doubt several feet deep. The problem is no electronic device can go deep enough to pick them up. Its always been the same problem. Thats why cobs are only found after hurricanes strip several feet off the beaches or divers blow holes.

If I had access to such a device, I would head to the Treasure Coast lol but such a device of course does not really exist.

I wonder how deep Salvor6's PulseStar will signal on a single gold cob?

Last edited:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A friend of mine was introduced to dowsing when his uncle showed him how to dowse a ring on a beach. It got him hooked on treasure hunting. I agree that the beach may be loaded with gold. I have a theory as to where it is, how it got there and how to get to it. It also explains why you rarely find a gold coin at the beach.

I wish that I had done many, may more things with Ovid before he died. That is why the time is NOW to go after treasure. You never know when your time is up till it is too late.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
A friend of mine was introduced to dowsing when his uncle showed him how to dowse a ring on a beach. It got him hooked on treasure hunting. I agree that the beach may be loaded with gold. I have a theory as to where it is, how it got there and how to get to it. It also explains why you rarely find a gold coin at the beach.

I wish that I had done many, may more things with Ovid before he died. That is why the time is NOW to go after treasure. You never know when your time is up till it is too late.
"May be"? ??? I find gold on the beach every 3rd or 4th trip but its not gold coins. The Treasure Coast has gold coins. Its common knowlege that gold and silver will sink over the years and cannot be picked up with a metal detector. This is common knowlege.

Its good to know that somebody finally found sometrhing dowsing. Too bad its "I know a friend of a friend who found something" lol...

Last edited:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You said that there is more gold on the Florida beaches than anywhere else. Do you have "documentation" to back this up? How much "research" have you done on this subject? Is this just another "story"? Sure, you can find lost jewelry on the beach, is this the gold you talk about? That is what I call trinkets. I think I know where the coins are. Getting them is on my "to do" list.

I will tell you again, Ovid and I found things. They were at the exact spot and depth that he said. Now reread that last line and let it sink in. I did not say "a friend of a friend". I SAW IT! You have obviously been around the wrong dowsers. You need to get out more. I bet your indian pals can dowse. Why don't you ask them.

Last edited:

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said that there is more gold on the Florida beaches than anywhere else. Do you have "documentation" to back this up? How much "research" have you done on this subject? Is this just another "story"? Sure, you can find lost jewelry on the beach, is this the gold you talk about? That is what I call trinkets. I think I know where the coins are. Getting them is on my "to do" list.

I will tell you again, Ovid and I found things. They were at the exact spot and depth that he said. Now reread that last line and let it sink in. I did not say "a friend of a friend". I SAW IT! You have obviously been around the wrong dowsers. You need to get out more. I bet your indian pals can dowse. Why don't you ask them.

BDD-BCH is referring to the Spanish fleet that sank in 1715 along the treasure coast. You can read about it in the "Shipwreck" forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread