Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an example of how "the Everglades" could have meant anywhere up to nearly central Florida at the time. This map is a very early one of Florida at the start of the Second Seminole War. Notice how inacurate the geography was, and how the names of some rivers have changed. This was less than 30 years before the Civil War, and it considered the Everglades to reach almost to Fort Meade.

The indian town named "Tolopchopko" was just north of where Fort Meade would be. It was later destroyed by U.S. troops.

Seminole War 001.JPG

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is an example of how "the Everglades" could have meant anywhere up to nearly central Florida at the time. This map is a very early one of Florida at the start of the Second Seminole War. Notice how inacurate the geography was, and how the names of some rivers have changed. This was less than 30 years before the Civil War, and it considered the Everglades to reach almost to Fort Meade.

The indian town named "Tolopchopko" was just north of where Fort Meade would be. It was later destroyed by U.S. troops.

View attachment 666270
That makes the "PUNTA GORDA" version as a plausible basis for the CSA swamp gold legend.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was born 100 years too late. It must have been paradise.

Last edited:

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a mobile connection from Verizon on my laptop. It is like a little cell phone for the computer, and works pretty good all over the state....anywhere where a Verizon cell phone gets a good connection. My Blackberry smartphone won't load Treasurenet for some reason....just a blank white page...it worked one time when the board last changed over, but not since.

You might look into a cheap tablet as well...I don't have one, but if I couldn't use my laptop, I would hate to have to rely on a smartphone only for web browsing.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I use a mobile connection from Verizon on my laptop. It is like a little cell phone for the computer, and works pretty good all over the state....anywhere where a Verizon cell phone gets a good connection. My Blackberry smartphone won't load Treasurenet for some reason....just a blank white page...it worked one time when the board last changed over, but not since.

You might look into a cheap tablet as well...I don't have one, but if I couldn't use my laptop, I would hate to have to rely on a smartphone only for web browsing.
What is it called? Is it unlimited data?

Last edited:

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are different devices. I have an older version 3G Pantec plug-in USB. There are some pretty bad reviews on some of the new 4G USB's...It seems they disconnect when going from 4G to a 3G connection when the 4G is lost. I know my 3G Pantec worked just fine in Ft. Myers when I went to the museum on the reservation a few months back. I didn't try to connect out on the reservation, but my Verizon cell phone had a good signal, so a plug-in USB would also.

The "mobile hot-spot" devices seem to have better reviews....my sister has a mi-fi connection...and had some issues at first, but it seems to work now.

Here are the plug-ins....

Set Your Location

And the mobile hot spots....

Set Your Location

I can't really remember what plan I have....it's not unlimited...but I only use about half the allowed data each month, and I'm online alot.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
NEW VERSION OF LEGEND FOR FUTURE CONFEDERATE GOLD LEGEND HUNTERS

Years from now treasure hunters will be reading this thread trying to decipher the truth.

There is so much information and clues on this thread. Im sure its the best anywhere on the subject and it could take someone with a lot of time to sort it out and find the answers we need.
In March,1864,after delievering 400 head of cattle to CSA blockade runner Capt John Riley at Punta Rassa and recieving payment of $12,000 in gold Spanish and Cuban specie,the 2nd CSA Cow Calvary,under Capt John Lesley were engaged by Fort Meyers Union raiders,led by US Lt James T Green on Moses Barber's corduroy road.
Having knowledge of old Seminole War trails,the Confederates plunged into the Evergalades,with the Union in pursuit.
Lesley ordered CSA Pvt Lanier to stay behind and bury the gold,as he led the Union raiders off in another direction,finally losing the pursuing Yankees.
Lanier made it back to Fort Meade and reported to CSA COMMISSARY AGENT,Capt James McKay that he buried the gold in a hummock near where two small creeks met,and could find the location again.
April,1864,the rains came,and on April 7,1864,Pvt Lanier was killed at The Little Battle of Bowlegs Creek.
The location of that cattle gold payment was never found.

Last edited:

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECS that is some great and validating info!

A corduroy road is a type of road not the name of a road. It is a road made from logs.

Here is some more info:

Mose Edward Barber
While nothing is left of the old buildings of the Mose Barber place its location can be found just north of the former home of Paul Crews – now the home of Mr. and Mrs. I. D. Burnsed – and many people believe that large sums of money and gold were buried on the place – a rumor that has been handed down for generations. The site of the old place has been dug over and is filled with holes by those who believed this story of buried wealth.
Some heavy fighting incident to the Battle of Olustee during the Civil War was fought near this place and the breast works that were thrown up can still be plainly seen on both sides of the river within sight of those traveling on U. S. 90. The breast works are on the north side of the river.”
Uncle Carl Barber of Fort Christmas and Uncle John Barber of Palatka said they heard that Mose often took down a wagonload of merchandise from Jacksonville to sell to the settlers in Brevard and Orange Counties and returned to the plantation in north Florida with a double handful of gold. “He never missed a beat”, was the way one descendent described Mose’s ability to take advantage of every move and event. Another said, “Mose never made a trip empty handed.”

Cattlemen's Cavalry Battled Civil War Hunger - Orlando Sentinel
Confederates paid Moses Barber $14 a head in Spanish gold.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I mentioned Barber,not as a name for the road,but as the builder of the 10ft heartpine crosstie road over the saltwater bogs and patches of quick to Jacob Summerlin's docks at Punta Rassa,where the encounter with Lt Green took place.
It was used often by the CSA Cow Calvary and the Cracker cowboys.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have had multiple meetings with my new Micosukee Indian pal. I have shown him the location for the gold/silver at Cloud Mountain. I have been offered a decent percentage of anything found. When the time is right a dig will happen. New evidence was found at Cloud Mountain linking it to the distant past. It is all VERY interesting. The old trails come into play. It all makes sense. Where did the gold/silver come from? I don't know and I don't particularly care. After we dig this one up we will go after some others.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
New evidence was found at Cloud Mountain linking it to the distant past. It is all VERY interesting. The old trails come into play. It all makes sense. Where did the gold/silver come from? I don't know and I don't particularly care.
Is this another shaman story?

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have had multiple meetings with my new Micosukee Indian pal. I have shown him the location for the gold/silver at Cloud Mountain. I have been offered a decent percentage of anything found. When the time is right a dig will happen. New evidence was found at Cloud Mountain linking it to the distant past. It is all VERY interesting. The old trails come into play. It all makes sense. Where did the gold/silver come from? I don't know and I don't particularly care. After we dig this one up we will go after some others.
Im glad I didnt get involved with your dowsing shenanigans BDD because I have a good reputation to protect and I prefer to keep it that way. I hope the Indians will remain pals after you waste their time and money.

That being said, I wish you luck in any future endeaver but you seem to be misinformed on this one. You cant find gold by wishful thinking and dowsing alone..

Attachments

• ms oct6 2012 2.jpg
    ms oct6 2012 2.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL! MORE interested in "Swamp Gold", too... I suspect it IS CSA-related.
It is releated to the CSA by way of blockade runners,cattle payments in gold,and the CSA "cow" cavalry,and not the 1/2 ton of gold buried under a "cloud mountain" in the Everglades legend.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
BCH-Ovid has found gold on multiple locations in the past. He had it in his hands. Was there wishful thinking involved? Probably. I guess dowsing and wishful thinking can find you gold. Oh, I almost forgot, sometimes you have to dig a hole with a shovel. That is the part a lot of people can't seem to get around to doing. So you think I am wasting my new Micosukee pals time and money do you? I had thought about inviting you to the dig but you just blew that. Good luck and have fun killing more animals.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BCH-Ovid has found gold on multiple locations in the past. He had it in his hands. Was there wishful thinking involved? Probably. I guess dowsing and wishful thinking can find you gold. Oh, I almost forgot, sometimes you have to dig a hole with a shovel. That is the part a lot of people can't seem to get around to doing. So you think I am wasting my new Micosukee pals time and money do you? I had thought about inviting you to the dig but you just blew that. Good luck and have fun killing more animals.
Thats a very nice swamp deer and Im sure the Indians will agree. Yes I think you are wasting your time.

I only drive to town once a week for supplies and Im working with a very old laptop at MaCDs wifi. I posted in a rush and Im sorry I failed to use cooth. I respect you BDD as a person but Im sorry I do not have any faith in pendulum map dowsing.

For the record I am in no way associated with your dowsing, LRLs, or any map dowsing nonsense.

Where did you ever get the idea that treasure hunters dont dig holes?

Im sorry I havent any time to respond to emails.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Im glad I didnt get involved with your dowsing shenanigans BDD because I have a good reputation to protect and I prefer to keep it that way. I hope the Indians will remain pals after you waste their time and money.

That being said, I wish you luck in any future endeaver but you seem to be misinformed on this one. You cant find gold by wishful thinking and dowsing alone..

Bigcypresshunter reporting from Monroe Station, Ochopee Florida.

Swamp itself a treasure,be sure to admire it . That fine prince on tailgate evidence of that. Let alone the smells,sounds and other sights. To miss that regardless of what gold is in there would leave one the poorer. I.m.h.o. what could i buy to improve on that?. Heading out soon to play chess with deer,sad its only about an acre swamp in area. But still a draw.
Winters coming,arguing wastes energy. H.H.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions