Roslyn pictures

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
The Templer thread is getting busy so i thought the pictures on a different thread might serve as a kind of pit stop from the mainstream debate.Its important to be able to see what it is one is talking about when it comes to Roslyn and i definately reccomend google as a source of information.I dont pretend to know much about the place,nobody does.Anybody that does think they know it all is 100% wrong.
Today as then there is a very strong connection to the Masons , the museum of masonic regalia/relics is right there beside the chapel.When visiting the Chapel one may also buy a ticket for the museum from the same person selling you a ticket to enter the chapel.

Its not mentioned in websites or books,one has to visit to know its there or presumably be a Mason.Theres no point in my trying to repeat storys of its history and legends,its all there on the Roslyn website and others.What i can say is i have pictures of areas i shouldnt have been, i figured what the heck ..what they gonna do...boot me out at worst and to be honest there is no tour guide , you wander about at will as my pics will show.
First one shows the lay of the land , its taken from the chapel grounds and this land has never changed for thousands of years,never been "developed".

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,532
OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
For the past decade or so the chapel has had scaffolding erected around and over it to protect it from the elements while restoration work was carried out on the roof.The scaffolding is due to come down if it hasnt already,a rare opportunity to climb the scaffolding and obtain close up photos of the ornate carvings around the higher areas..excellent.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 1,519
OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
All access rooftop..cant beat that

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 1,518
OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Bear in mind ive seriously reduced these images to postcard size , the actual photos i took are huge and show much more detail.

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 1,476
OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Theres not much stone that hasnt been carved ornately.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,461
K

Kentucky Kache

Now we're just waiting on Lamar to tell you you're wrong about the pictures.

OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
;D Hahaha thats funny Cache , the good thing about Roslyn is everybody is free to be wrong because nobody actually knows , if anybody knows they aint saying.Im sure there are those that do know but they will never tell the world..why ? I dunno.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,426
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,446
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 1,456
OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
By now i bet your wondering why im wandering around the rooftops , when that scaffold comes down it might not ever go back up again for another 100 years or more.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,416
OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Its killing me to reduce my pictures to this size , you cant see anything like what you should be seeing as intended.Towards the end of my pictures ill post a full size of the favorites and youll gasp at the detail shown.

Attachments

• b.JPG
    b.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,425
OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
The Church is very much still in regular use

Attachments

• d.jpg
    d.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,390
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,402

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear NewtoPa;
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC PHOTOS!!! Thank you so very much for sharing them with us, my friend!!! It seems that someone is restoring Roslyn Chapel and it also seems that whoever is doing the restoration is doing a wonderful job of it! I visited Roslyn 20-25 years ago as part of a historical architectures tour and Roslyn Chapel was starting to fall into a state of direpair. While not actually classified as ruins, it was becoming plainly obvious that there was much needed maintenance to be performed on the buildings and grounds.

I am thrilled to see that someone FINALLY woke up and realized what a precious historical gem that Roslyn Chapel represents!!! Did you also happen to visit the ruins of Whitby Abbey in Yorkshire during your travels, my friend? If not, then they are another must-see item for future travels. Once again, thank you so very much for posting such wonderfully vivid and life-like photos my friend! I appreciate and applaud your efforts!!!
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Thank you Lamar , i lived in Scotland most of my life , latterly 25 years since i last left its sunny shores ( haha ) Ive seen a many great notable things there.Yorkshire , Stonehenge.Various castles all over the country,some abandoned wrecks and others touristy.
Roman ruins were commen and playgrounds for us as kids.We never gave it a 2nd thought.

I agree its fantastic to see Roslyn and other structures being saved , it maybe takes us a while in the UK to do something but it invarioubly gets done.There are so many deserving structures needing preserved and saved , Roslyn sits out there in the glen often overlooked.
Its one of my all time favorite places and i put Stonehenge way behind it,they are childrens building blocks compared to this place.

Some say Roslyn is a book and you need to learn the carvings to read it.Its been proven that the ceiling tiles in one area represent musical notes and when played it did make sense.A lot has been said about the place , to be there is one of the most peaceful experiences ive had.

Attachments

• f.jpg
    f.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,370
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,384
OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
I didnt want to post full size pics cos its going to wreck the thread size and i have a small laptop screen..but i cant reduce this one..

Attachments

• 100_0027.JPG
    100_0027.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 1,371
OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
The apprentices pillar , a very interesting legend and probably true.

Attachments

• 100_0037.JPG
    100_0037.JPG
    388.1 KB · Views: 1,359
OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
The carving is way way OTT , it seems every inch is carved and means something to someone.

Attachments

• 100_0033.JPG
    100_0033.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 1,333
OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
All these were in the Chapel and very interesting however i mentioned there was no tour guide or rhyme or reason or time restraints on visitors , we had a picnic lunch in the chapel grounds and stayed most of the day.
Ive hundreds of these close up detail shots , ive visited many times always with a camera.I didnt always buy the ticket to go in , the outside is equally interesting if not more so.
Roslyn glen and its 13th century castle ruins , the site of a great Scottish victory over the English right there in the Glen , 8000 dead Englishmen.
Neolithic carvings are present in the Glen if you know where to look,hahah although by now i imagine they can be seen on google.

Did i ever take a metal detector there ? No , this is sacred ground.Thought id answer that one before it came up.I wouldnt detect there if i got paid to and i would not be happy to see anybody else doing it there,some things are sacred and should stay that way.A field of battle is one of those things.

Even Cromwell spared Roslyn , he realised it too.

I mentioned recently it was my ladies birthday on thursday , im out this evening to dinner but as always the best has been kept for last and ill post those either tonight late or tomorrow.
I havnt forgotten about the pictures in areas i shouldnt have been , thats for later.

Attachments

• 100_0041.JPG
    100_0041.JPG
    364.7 KB · Views: 1,325
OP
OP
JakefaePa

JakefaePa

Feb 20, 2009
Pa
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Haha you guys are funny , the friendly insults are quite amusing :icon_jokercolor:

Your right though Lamar , if there was nothing to admire and wonder about , nowhere new to venture..it would be a very dull life.
First thing i did when i landed at Phillie was plan and do a road trip from Phillie to Miami...i had the time of my life..well..one of many times of my life..i loved it , it was kinda my "Hello America" trip.
Swam in the ocean in Febuary..that made my day.
Filled another few pic cds on that one , i loved the South.Next trip is down the old Lincoln highway to the heartland and possibly beyond.Ultimately i would like to see Alaska and do this by road , the things in between Pa and Juneau have got to be worth seeing :thumbsup:

Im told i best get cleaned up...we dont go out often so id best keep her happy :D later on lads :thumbsup:

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear newtoPa;
I lived two years in Anchorage, and in all of my travels I've never been to a more beautiful spot on the planet thus far. And I've done a LOT of travelling in my day. I would love to return to Alaska one day.Speaking of swimming in the ocean, I went swimming at Brighton beach in July once and that experience was....memorable. I think there are parts of me which have yet to thaw properly. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Never again, my friend. The town of Brighton was perhaps the greatest populated area which I've visited though! The people there were simply marvelous!
Your friend;
LAMAR

K

Kentucky Kache

lamar said:
Cache Crazy;
Perhaps if you would leave the double-wide for other reasons than going out to check on the still, you might realize that there are some people who still venture and explore and admire and wonder. And also, they appreciate things for what they are instead of what we would wish for them to be.
LAMAR
Remember....you brought the rain

Ifen yall see that thar yung feller, Lamar, tell 'em I'd be happy to send 'em a jug. That'd make me happier than a rabbit in a brar patch. :D

Attachments

• 1moonshiner.jpg
    1moonshiner.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,317
K

Kentucky Kache

No, that's a pic I found on the net. My dad died when I was 8 years old.
But you could learn something from that picture. People like that old guy don't think their better, smarter, or higher up the chain than anyone else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions