River of Gold - Valley of the Headless Men

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
Need some volunteers to check this out before I go in there and scoop it all up...anybody?... hello? The only thing you need to do to get a share is to come back out alive. Simple! Never heard this one before, but then it's Canada.

The Nahanni Valley (Canada)

This valley is often referred to as "The Valley of the Headless Men.
This valley covers 250 square miles at the southern end of the Mackenzie Mountains of Canada. It lies almost 550 miles due west of Fort Simpson on the Mackenzie River of northwest Canada. Hot springs and sulfur geysers keep the valley warmer than the surrounding areas by about 30 degrees year -round (the valley is above 60 degrees latitude), making it perpetually mist-covered. This valley is inhabited only by animals as people entering the valley are usually found headless and quite dead. The Indian tribes of the area avoid this valley. (These tribes include the Ojibways, the Slave, the Dogribs, the Stoney, the Beavers and the Chipweyans.) Legend has it that somewhere in the valley lies a one mile stretch of river bottom littered with gold nuggets of every size. Allegedly there are also underground tunnels here that go for miles and miles. How is this known if all who have gone in there have lost there heads? Good question...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was Going to Ask Badger, Who's Finding these Headless People :D

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
pretty sure someone has posted on this area and probably will add details. See his posts on bomber missing then read his other posts. exanimo, ss

OP
OP
B

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
This is one of the semi- unrecorded legends? stories? fables?, not sure just what to call it. My source is from Canada, a recent acquaintance met while discussing other things. After much correspondence, this came up unsolicited in a genealogy discussion. A living relative had married into one of the tribes mentioned, and brought back several tales from the tribe to a family reunion a while back. After much questioning, it seems that the best answer I could get to that question is that the bodies are found when the mist is gone on the occasional clear days. The whole thing sounds quite fantastic, and it's really hard to know what the natives mean by the things they say at times. I did ask the person to question the relative more closely, so maybe more will be forthcoming soon.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Don't remember the name of the book, but Al Masters has this in his treasure book. Somehow, the provincial government runs tours into the valley. The story says that 5 or 6 people have been found without their heads. reports of several gold finds but the more important finds are geological.Hot springs and tropical plants (orchids? can you believe it?) It's not easy to get in but not that difficult if you want in.
I'll look up the book this afternoon when I get home. Lot's of good references to treasures.

grizzly bare

K

Kentucky Kache

Legend of treasure? Tale of people being murdered there? Could It be, that someone was trying to keep people out of the area? Might be a good place to search. Just don't loose your head.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
The book is "The Treasure Hunting Book" by Al Masters. The Nahanni Valley story is the second story in the book and begins on page 39. According to Masters, over the past 150 years about 12 bodies have been found(some by the RCMP) and at least 4 people went missing. He doesn't mention the river of gold, but does mention mines with rich ore.Last time anyone lost a head was in the 1970's.
Shoot! Let's go looking! I could use a trip. Masters also says that in the summer, this is close enough to the Circle to have about constant daylight. Looked it up on the map and it's not too far from the Yukon.

grizzly bare

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Almost forgot,
In 1972 this entire area (1840 square miles) became Nahanni National Park. What are the laws in Canada about prospecting in a National Park?
grizzly

OP
OP
B

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
16 people is over my limit, I'll pass. The 4 missing could be lost hunters/ hikers, or due to your name sake, the grizzly. 12 bodies, most or all without heads is too bizarre, and I feel no need to personally 'feed' a legend. It would be a great trip though, but you would need a large group, well armed, you know, something on the scale of a full military battalion. Air support for back up might be good idea too. Bring your camera!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread