Follensby Cache: for real?

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
I have done some digging after our emails and found out moses was a private in the rev war under stark's command in new hampshire. I dont belive the loot in the pond was his but that of gangstas who were making counterfit coins. both the real and conterfit coins along with the tools to make the coins were dumped into the pond. they were both gold and silver. hope that helped. I also foud out the name of the inn that moses and the two others he settled the land with stayed. TTYL. HH

OP
OP
G

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
The available info on him indicates that he disappeared in the early 1820's, which would have made him quite an old man by that time, for his day, being that he fought in the Rev War. That's interesting info that he was somehow involved in a counterfeiting ring. Do you have any more info on his involvement, and why would real and counterfeit coins have been dumped in the pond? This sounds like a noteworthy event for the time. You did well coming up with this so quick. Since you're from the area, maybe we can team up for a search. I'm sick of working for a living. It'd be more fun to TH full time.

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
I have always been good at research. its location and reading the land in real life thats hard for me. Im a stay at home mommy so I have time to play on the computer (laptop) while my little monkey is playing. sure we can team up. My hubby grew up on a farm so youll have a strong man like bull helping dig muddy swamps LOL I can find where i read that about the coins... maybe he couldnt tell real from counterfit and just dumped them all. Id be interested in the tools used to make the coins...... ill dig up the article or site and email ya. HH.

OP
OP
G

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
I'm trying to decide if Moses was a rich eccentric or a teller of tall tales. If he ran around telling people he had a hoard of gold, his disappearance can be explained. I'm interested in this one because it's one of the bigger treasures within commuting distance, now that the Schultz hunt is over. I am a cache hunter, rather than coin shooter. So far, I haven't gotten good info the easy way, that is off the internet, but i keep trying. If this one looks promising, I'll definately be up to explore. I'd certainly be interested in any info you can share. Me and my boys have spent a lot of time in the woods, camping and fishing. We'd include those activities in our outing to make it a good ole' time. Also, if we find it, we must seriously discuss whether or not we will let the tax man know right away.

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
well heres an update.... a very nice poster and web admin of avery well known KGC website..... sent me a ton of articles.... (thank you again) and one of the articles was about follenby. aprently he is also the hermit said to have a stash of 400k in the aidrondacks. well anyway. the article said that 2 hunters found him in his cabin ding of some weird brain fever??? and was ranting about caches being hidden. he pointed to the fireplace and later dies. after he died the hunters looked around his cabin and under the stone in the fireplace was a wooden chest said to have held a gold sword letters from his wife, and a perl handles silver pistol. just a note the reason he became a hermit is because his wife cheated on him while he was in the army. he save the letters from her her name was georgiana. well supposedly the hunters went to sleep and when they woke up the stuff was missing each blamed the other but the stuff wasent ever found. so the treasure and what ever other cashes he had hidden around are still there....... I also found the exact place where is cabin once was.... map and all...... when do you want to go digging?

OP
OP
G

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
I'm certainly not against searching for relics and artifacts, if I happen to be someplace that looks promising. It would be cool to MD his old homestead. If and when I get there, of course, depends on my motivation. A cache of gold is very motivating. Someone with money could have bought themselves a commission in the Continental Army. Follensby was, as you point out, a private. Back in those days, I suspect, having an acquaintance help warm one's bed on cold nights, with one's spouse away, and their return uncertain, wasn't totally unusual. So, Follensby took it hard instead of being glad she had a bed warmer. Oh well!! Money could also have bought him his own warmer. No sign of that either. So, the treasure story suggests that someone with no sign of wealth somehow accumulates an incredible hoard of gold, in the wilderness, in an area with no gold mines to mention, and no indication of how he amassed his fortune. Further, as SWR pointed out the apparent source for this treasure tale is the author himself. You never know what you might find while MD'ing. But, I'm not motivated enough yet to set a travel date. I work hard to scratch out my living, and, unfortunately, even the cost of a drive is something I must consider. I've been up that way once or twice, but I'm chasing down some solid leads closer to home. I'd sure like to hear more on this one, but we must be careful not to build our hopes up for a let down. Let's stay in touch. By the way, don't forget to let me know what you think about the Schultz site. The mosquito season has passed, and it's a good time for walks through the woods.

OP
OP
G

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
Yeah! Of course I want it, and don't get discouraged. Keep it up. I, and everybody else, are interested in everything you might find, even if it's just for the sake of discussion. In discussing we share different viewpoints, which can prompt us to arrive at new conclusions we hadn't thought of before. Keep it coming, and you're doing real good too.

numnydar

May 5, 2006
Utica,NY
From my research I had found Follingsby was also of British royal decent and I have personally gone to the area mentions as it is Follingsby's pond Located off Follingsby Road

numnydar

May 5, 2006
Utica,NY
Well digging a little deeper on the net I have found another story that places his cabin south east of tupper lake around 3 and 30 off Follensby Pond no the clear pond and now found that NY has turned whole area into a park so no MDing I think that sounds a little funny LOL

numnydar

May 5, 2006
Utica,NY
I have done even more research now and found that in 1903 there were only 3 structures on the pond and in 1955 only 2 of the 3 still existed and the 1 that doesn't is the 1 that coresponds with the stories if anyone is interested in searching with me I can look into it more.
Send me an email if interested

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello BenyD.42

for one Moses Follenby was real person.

To complicate things his father had the same name.

Crow

prd_019786.jpg

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Crow interesting I have not found that file in data base.

Kanacki

Chase7628

Mar 6, 2018
CICERO NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone still interested in investigating this...I plan on heading up their this spring and have been doing some research to get going!

Apr 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone still interested in investigating this...I plan on heading up their this spring and have been doing some research to get going!

Let me know if you do, I'll jump on board. :icon_thumright: New to treasure hunting but very familiar with the Adirondacks and backwoods traveling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions