EL DORADO, THE LOST CITY OF GOLD IN S.E. PERU

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
I hope Jake has said his 'goodbyes'. The link below did not work for me. - Bart
Jesuit manuscript may hold key to El Dorado quest
A Polish explorer who sets off next week in search of El Dorado, the fabled city of gold in South America, says that he has located it using a 16th-century Jesuit manuscript from the Vatican archives. Jacek Palkiewicz...said he was ready to take on the myth of El Dorado that had lured many men to their deaths.
The term El Dorado, which is Spanish for ?The Golden One?, was first given to an Indian ruler near Bogot? who, according to legend, covered his body with gold dust during festivals. It was then applied to a city said to be rich in gold and precious jewels.
According to an article in the latest issue of the Italian archaeological review Archeo, documents in the Vatican prove that the city of El Dorado did exist and was discovered by Jesuit missionaries towards the end of the 16th century...the Vatican report gives details of a walled city in which the walls were covered in gold leaf, and names the place as ?Paititi?. It said that the missionaries were planning to construct a cathedral ?made of gold blocks? to dedicate the city to God and identified the site as Rio Madre de Dios, in the foothills of the Andes in southeastern Peru...

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badger Bart said:
I hope Jake has said his 'goodbyes'. The link below did not work for me. - Bart
Jesuit manuscript may hold key to El Dorado quest
A Polish explorer who sets off next week in search of El Dorado, the fabled city of gold in South America, says that he has located it using a 16th-century Jesuit manuscript from the Vatican archives. Jacek Palkiewicz...said he was ready to take on the myth of El Dorado that had lured many men to their deaths.
The term El Dorado, which is Spanish for ?The Golden One?, was first given to an Indian ruler near Bogot? who, according to legend, covered his body with gold dust during festivals. It was then applied to a city said to be rich in gold and precious jewels.
According to an article in the latest issue of the Italian archaeological review Archeo, documents in the Vatican prove that the city of El Dorado did exist and was discovered by Jesuit missionaries towards the end of the 16th century...the Vatican report gives details of a walled city in which the walls were covered in gold leaf, and names the place as ?Paititi?. It said that the missionaries were planning to construct a cathedral ?made of gold blocks? to dedicate the city to God and identified the site as Rio Madre de Dios, in the foothills of the Andes in southeastern Peru...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HI BADGER: More, more, more. Love it. This is what it is about.

Jose de La Mancha (I tilt windmills )

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BADGER my Friend: No more posts? Try to get "The rivers ran East" by Leonard Clark. He supposedly found 3 of the 7 cites of Cibola on the upper Maranon, probabably the wldest region on the Earth.

I have seen soft cover editions on E-Bay. I guarentee that you will not put it down.

Till Eulenspiegle

OP
OP
B

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
Mi amigo, ?c?mo la vida le est? tratando eh? Esperanza de Yaqui I, y no yucky. Sigue siendo invierno aqu?, con varias pulgadas de nieve en la tierra. Tiempo de la fiebre de la cabina para nosotros, nos han encerrado encima de todo el invierno y no podemos estarse parados m?s y no sabemos qu? hacer sobre ?l. La fiebre de la cabina es una forma suave de locura, pero sale cuando la nieve derrite, y la temperatura consigue sobre 40 y podemos pasar una cierta hora al aire libre y juego en el fango. Buscar? ese libro, gracias. Tengo un hermano en Hawaii que posea una librer?a y tenga 35.000 vol?menes, ?l la tengo quiz?. En abril ?l est? trayendo todos los viejos mapas que ?l ha encontrado en el almac?n desde que ?l compr? el lugar hace algunos a?os. Viejos mapas a partir el 17 y 1800's, la vieja geograf?a y otros libros. Estoy considerando el vender de ellos en ebay, u ofr?zcalo quiz? aqu? a los cazadores del tesoro. Tambi?n estoy considerando estera y los estoy montando y los estoy vendiendo en el mercado de pulgas local, que hacen el dinero grande los lechones y los touristas.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=Badger Bart ]
Mi amigo, ?c?mo la vida le est? tratando eh? Esperanza de Yaqui I, y no yucky.
Q) Estoy muy bien, gracias, Y Usted
I am very well thanks, and you? Are you from Esperanza Badger? It has grown a lot lately.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tiempo de la fiebre de la cabina para nosotros,
A) Yes, Cabin fever is rough heheh, but patience my friend, every cloud has a silver lining..
la temperatura consigue sobre 40 y podemos pasar una cierta hora al aire libre y juego en el fango.
A) Temperature here is about 75 in the night, 98 + in the day with clear blue skies. Watch the mud.
Buscar? ese libro, gracias.
A) I loved the book, so will you.
Tengo un hermano en Hawaii que posea una librer?a y tenga 35.000 vol?menes,
A) shehs 35,000 books wow, fascinated and jealous..
A) Those old maps may be worth a fortune to the right people
Estoy considerando el vender de ellos en ebay, u ofr?zcalo quiz? aqu? a los cazadores del tesoro.
a) I would list the maps, and give first chance to the members of TN . Also contact some of the museums, particularily the western ones.
Hey, em me my friend, we should talk.

Till eulenspiegle Yo-obwa eri?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Stan Grist claims he found it recently. Google his name and see his website. It's a fun read if nothing else.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'll bet there's more than one city with the same name.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
diving doc said:
Darren in NC said:
I'll bet there's more than one city with the same name.
Not in Spanish history where the story started.
Doc

Perhaps, but almost every South American country claims to have the City of El Dorado hidden in their remote area. Many explorers and researchers have claimed they found traces of it in _________ country. I've heard Peru, Ecuador, Honduras, and several others.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
diving doc said:
True, but not in the origins of Spanish History.
Doc

You're right, Doc. I have no point to prove.

El Dorado Seeker

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many "fake" documents and false myths have been created and spread about treasures and hidden gold...

People just copy each other, so most sources are biased, not necessarily hoaxes, but false beliefs. We tend to inflate them, expand them and mix anything into them, making the stories bigger than the original myths.

Sometimes there are no myths at all. It's word of mouth that inflates like a balloon over time and then we project it upon the past. Believing that "that particular ancient culture believed this and that" - but in fact the story was invented later, inflated and spun by the modern man.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Dorado: I agree, I personally have contributed many on Tayopa, but they are based upon the truth. There is no doubt that some may be slightly revised, but they are accurate enough to use both for searching and for reference. How ever what is the point? I already have found Tayopa #1, but the allied data can show others where to look for the other Two tayopas, and the remaining 5 of the Golden Triangle...

As you have said, some are already far from what I posted originally, they add a little here and there, and take away the same.

Don Jose de La Mancha

distribuidorUSA

Dec 11, 2012
Strathmore Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The El Dorado treasure is still in place.that is at the bottom of the crater that makes lake Guatavita.located 35 miles north of Bogota colombia.remember colombia has huge quantyties of gold and emeralds.and the Ruler that used to cover himself with gold dust was just one of many over centuries.there was an atempt to drain the lake but as soon as part of the ash bottom was uncover it turned inmediately to cement like in hardness.and there in the shore a huge emeral the size of a Turkey Egg was recovered.inmemse quantities of Gold and Jewels are still at the bottom of the Lake wich is not really deep.but due to the Colombian Goverment prohibition to dig the site the treasure will be ther for some more time.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to see quotes from that ancient manuscript held by the Vatican.

My old treasure hunting business partner had some very old documents allegedly sourced via an Italian archeologist who found some documents via the Vatican. I asked him a few years ago what he intended to do with them? He smiled, winked and said nothing? He is an exceptional researcher, I learned much off him over my time as his partner. He has a very deep understanding of Inca culture and of Andean lanuages.
Puzzled I enquired more from him and he said if you really what to know the truth behind El Dorado, Paititi legends as in early documents they are intwined, to dig deep into the remaining Andean lanuages and early attempts by a 16th century jesuit priest to put Andean lanuages into writing. He told me of the estimated 700 andean dielects before the conquest only about 150 was partially recorded as some is now extict. Even the more common Andean lanuages have regional variants that are unintelligble within the same lanuage group. He told me to Find the origin of the word Paititi and you have your answer why he was not interested.

I should also note that the 1590 document predates the vatican Early 17th century document by about 20 odd years or so. In 1594 Raleigh heard a version based on a "incorrect translation" of a name" becoming of a "City of Gold" in South America and sailed to find it, publishing an exaggerated account of his experiences in a book that contributed to the legend of "El Dorado" Which is Spanish mis translation.

Crow.

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Tropical tramp.

I am bit of a tropical tramp myself these days. It is very hot and humid even at night. So please excuse me The hamock looks good under two jintabar trees among the palm trees. And a warm tropical breeze has blown and glass of JD in hand enjoying the view. I have to have grandpa naps these days. I wander down the beach to a beach bar owned by Hardluck and me. Check to see how things are going have a drink and a yarn with the locals and wander back to my hamock.It is very hot and some times forget where I posted.

Getting back to what Hardluck was saying. many got wrapped up with the interpertation by the Spanish. the report of the missionary Andres Lopez in the archives of the Jesits in Rome.In the document, which dates from about 1600, Lopez describes a large city rich in gold, silver and jewels, located in the middle of the tropical jungle called Paititi by the natives. Lopez informed the Pope about his discovery. What they do not tell you is the Andres lopez never visted the site himself and his information was recived 4th hand via various interperatations.

There are of course many lost pre columbian Towns throughout the Andes waiting to be rediscovered. The 30 odd expeditions searching for Paititi failed to understand the early mis interpertations, due to lack of understanding of Inca culture and Andean lanuages. Is it bad thing? Well no not really becuase of of these expeditions have helped us understand more the extent of the Inca empire. But Sadly Paititi will always be a dream for those daring to seek.

I have a early 16th century map somwhere given to me hardluck. A good curiosity to hang up in the bar.

Now I beg your indulgance once again as I feel another nap comng on.

And merry xmass to all

Crow

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions