The gold in John Browns body

dralston

Greenie
Nov 20, 2005
Wyoming
Re: The gold in John Brown's body

I had just read that before coming to this website today.

Interesting story. One would think that area of Idaho has had every square inch prospected in the last 100 years, especially in the silver district, but who knows...one rockslide and then some trees pop up and a mine is lost.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

You just never know.

dralston

Greenie
Nov 20, 2005
Wyoming

Any idea what the "body" part means? The article didn't help any with that.

Gold coins stuffed in a dead person's corpse? Perhaps John Brown was what the mine was called and he meant in the body of the John Brown Mine? Maybe he was just nuts.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Yea, I thought of that. Could John Brown be something other than a person? Could be.

dralston

Greenie
Nov 20, 2005
Wyoming

Even for a crazy man, body is an odd choice of words. He didn't say the gold is "buried with John Brown's body" or "in John Brown's Mine."

It's just a peculiar wording, if the legend has the exact words recorded properly.

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts

cap john m brown born at stafford hill cheshire oct the 4 1809 inscribed upon this rock april the 9 1878 may god bless susan and all of her barren land and when she gets to heaven i hope she finds a MAN. i couldnt read the story concerning john brown but i am highly interested i have found this cryptic carving which we associate with treasure around here. wierd part is half is written right handed half left handed. nearby is a carving stating lord help them who help themself.seems like a warning to me.if anybody could enlighten me on this story i would like to hear it. thanks kiddrock33

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread