pasco county fla leads?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I dont think we were trying to clarify if there is a place called Clearwater Bay now....but several historians ?have documented that years before any of us were born,people in fact referred to the area as Clearwater Bay,Clearwater Key.Clearwater Harbor......I am pretty sure when the legends of this lost pirates treasure began....they didnt know a place could change names ?or terrain would change . As I said ?in an earlier post....Persia is now Iran.....If I have a treasure lead in Persia ?am I suppose to dimiss it as fiction ?because the name has now changed? :)

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
gypsyheart said:
I dont think we were trying to clarify if there is a place called Clearwater Bay now....but several historians ?have documented that years before any of us were born,people in fact referred to the area as Clearwater Bay,Clearwater Key.Clearwater Harbor......I am pretty sure when the legends of this lost pirates treasure began....they didnt know a place could change names ?or terrain would change . As I said ?in an earlier post....Persia is now Iran.....If I have a treasure lead in Persia ?am I suppose to dimiss it as fiction ?because the name has now changed? :)

Good point! ;)

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It probably is popular to include "bluffs" in subdivision names... not all do I agree that they've been named properly. But when the homes ARE up on a very high bluff, only right across the street, I would only think that it would be OK to do so? Right? lol All I know is that I've stood on top of the bluffs and the impression is certainly there... they are so big!!! It really just takes your breath away! Especially at night when the stars are all out and the only lights are the Clearwater beachline across the "Bay". ;D

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Godisnum1, Are those bluffs in your neighborhood ancient Indian shell mounds? Some of those mounds are/were large enough to build a city on top.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Sir, it is indeed an ancient shell mound. Along with the other artifacts that we recovered from the project at that particular site. I'm referring to what is called the Narvaez property back home by the Archaeological group that I was a part of back in high school. I'm not sure about a city being built on it, or at least not in modern time. Back then before the erosion occurred, I'm sure it was capable of that though! :) Here's the link I just found for the site I worked on. (http://www.amenitiesgalore.com) I can't believe that they are selling it. It's like just yesterday that I was walking around their house and entering their backyard for our dig. They've added a lot to the property since then for property value, I'm sure. Mac & Faye were great in letting us excavate on their property though. Good times...

Bran <><

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
SWR said:
omnicognic said:
Ok, to clarify..there is no "Clearwater Bay". There IS an "Old Tampa Bay" which borders Clearwater. There IS the intracoastal waterway that also runs past Clearwater. Clearwater is about 16 miles South of the Anclote River. There are no "real" bluffs around the Anclote River or Clearwater, although it seems to be popular to include the word in subdivision names.. (maybe to give the impression of high ground) ;)

Thanks for clearing up exactly what I said. There is no Clearwater Bay?and never has been. It is truly amazing what you can ?google? up nowadays, but it sure does not beat sitting in the Library or City Hall for hundreds of hours doing research.

The Jeff Kramer website Gypsy noted is full of falsities, fantasies and just plain ole made up stories. I hope those reading such websites take them for what they are, entertainment value only.

Again, thanks Omni for clarifying what I have already stated ?;)

Hey thanks ....could you please give us the source of your information that proves there never has been an area referred to as Clearwater Bay...whether on the internet, the library, a book, whatever.....just some sort of written validation to your claim ..as an avid researcher...I too like to verify where I obtain the knowledge of something....whether true or false...at least I know the source..... and then I can sort it out on my own, so what ever confirmation you have, other than just your oppinion ,please post. I am really interested in this and also amazed that the Florida Historical Society is also posting false information according to you. I can understand someone making up stories for entertainment value ,like Jeff Kramer........but when the Historical Society is doing it,led by M. C. Bob Leonard, Professor of History, Hillsborough Community College.
...that just burns me.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it "really" matter? I mean, honestly. There is a bluff right across the "water" from Clearwater Beach. It might be small compared to some others... but it's the largest drop off I've seen in my life in Florida. *shrugs*
I really did not intend for there to be a big argument out of this. But can we at least agree that there is a "mass of water" between the land and Clearwater Beach? I mean, I go there all the time. I've grew up in the general area. There's not a large Bay or state in between myself and the place we're talking about. So can we just leave it at a big ol' huge mass of good quality H2O??? *please* ;D

Bran <><

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Godisnum1, Buy your own Indian mound...cool...did Narvaez land in Florida before DeSoto?
Price is not outrageous. I wonder what artifacts lie under that home?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
godisnum1 said:
Does it "really" matter? I mean, honestly. There is a bluff right across the "water" from Clearwater Beach. It might be small compared to some others... but it's the largest drop off I've seen in my life in Florida. *shrugs*
I really did not intend for there to be a big argument out of this. But can we at least agree that there is a "mass of water" between the land and Clearwater Beach? I mean, I go there all the time. I've grew up in the general area. There's not a large Bay or state in between myself and the place we're talking about. So can we just leave it at a big ol' huge mass of good quality H2O??? *please*? ;D

Bran <><
No it doesnt matter...you shouldn't feel bad about starting "an arguement" ,because there wasnt one...just a well attended debate! SWR (Jim) is a very well educated,well spoken person who has helped alot of people in this forum with his expertise,including myself. Everyone can see by this thread,that you can have a good debate ,without name calling or bashing....just two researchers ...thinking out of the box...Loved it ! I totally respect SWR's oppinion as he also seems to be a stickler for fact and detail...and that should teach all of us the importance of good research.

Dirtfishin

Dec 3, 2005
Southern Tier NY (temp)
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace100 (my first one)
White's Surf Pro PI
Nokta Legend
CaptainZossima said:
Does the west side of Florida have an intercoastal waterway? CZ

YES Capt Z... I know there is one by me.... Anna Maria Island on down to who knows ;)

Gypsy, You are the great one when it come to research!!!! (always trying to lend a hand)

SWR, Nice map! and Long Boat pass is still just that... Maybe you could suggest some of the more factual sites that you know of for gypsy and the rest of us who enjoy trying to figure the fact from the fiction... And boy there is a lot of fiction when it comes to the pirate "legends". ;)

tbh

Aug 16, 2013
Old thread i know. Clearwater bay was actually the water north of tarpon springs. Called clearwater bay back in the day. Anyone with any info on this legend. I have done some research on this.

searching1

Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread i know. Clearwater bay was actually the water north of tarpon springs. Called clearwater bay back in the day. Anyone with any info on this legend. I have done some research on this.

I just had to say to those arguing over clearwater bay, have you looked at google maps?????
https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...2!3m1!1s0x88c2f12aade47671:0xdaa3834e2ad428f6

Wether old or new maps there has always been a clearwater bay and clearwater harbor on the map, but the referenced area to clearwater bay has changed it was further north.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a bluff up that way? Because there's definitely one here in Clearwater Bay called Belair Bluffs...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread