pasco county fla leads?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Louis Aury, the notorious pirate, is said to have buried several chests near a freshwater spring on a small bluff in Clearwater Bay. Legend also has it that he buried loot on the Anclote River as well as on Honeymoon Island and Sea Horse Key.

It is also known that he buried a chest on Amelia Island, after he took it over as his headquarters, containing an estimated $60,000 in treasure....are you talking about his home on Amelia Island?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
An Indian mound by the bay could explain the bluff.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
SWR said:
gypsyheart said:
Louis Aury, the notorious pirate, is said to have buried several chests near a freshwater spring on a small bluff in Clearwater Bay. Legend also has it that he buried loot on the Anclote River as well as on Honeymoon Island and Sea Horse Key.

It is also known that he buried a chest on Amelia Island, after he took it over as his headquarters, containing an estimated $60,000 in treasure....are you talking about his home on Amelia Island?

We have no "Clearwater Bay" or bluffs in this area, and Honeymoon Island came about in the late 1930s. What source are you quoting this information?

HH, Jim
found sources for quotes at
http://www.treasurelore.com/florida/florida_treasure.htm
http://www.finetuning.com/articles/...s-and-pirate-loot-on-the-florida-beaches.html

And someone better inform Marriot about no Clearwater Bay ...because they sure advertise it alot :) http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/TPAMS
Offering a spectacular 10-story view of Clearwater Bay along the pristine Gulf Coast of Florida, Marriott Suites Clearwater Beach on Sand Key hotel is perfect for a family vacation or a business conference that feels like vacation.

Another possibilty is thatThe Clearwater Bay nor the bluffs they refer to ,are not in Florida, as he traveled down the coast to Texas ........................
Its not my intention to give false information...,I just supply the information gleaned from public internet for the rest of you guys to sort the mess out.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, are you kidding me??? This is too intirely funny!!! I'm really glad I came across this now... So you all are claiming that there are no "bluffs" on the Clearwater Bay, eh?? Too bad that there are and I was just standing on them this past summer. I don't really know if any of you all have been around the Clearwater area enough to notice them or not. But I sure have. Some friends and I like to go out to this place that we call "The Spot" to play our guitars and sing Christian praise & worship music. I was quite in shock myself when I first saw them because I grew up in Saint Petersburg and know that pretty much most of the State of Florida is basically flat. Well I promise you that these bluffs your talking about are there... and the drop off from the top to the waters edge is no less that about 40 or 50 feet. It was so hard to believe at first... but when you see a HUGE palm tree growing horizontally across the water... and it looks like a tiny branch from where your standing on the top... you know how high up you are. Not to mention, I can see the whole Clearwater beach front/hotel skyline from the same point. The only thing separating me is a huge bay with various inlets! lol I'm thinking I may have stumbled upon something for sure. Looks like I know what I'll be doing this Summer when I come home from college. ;D Well, looks like I'll be doing some more research on this in the middle of the rest of my research that I'm already doing for the Ozarks/Missouri/Florida areas. Heh...

Bran <><

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Hope this helps with trying to find some of the references and locations......

http://nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/florida/preserves/art5521.html Alum Bluff

http://www.belleairbluffs.com/ The West side of Belleair Bluffs borders the Intracoastal waterway. West Bay Drive, cutting East/West through the city, is a main access road across the Intracoastal to the towns of Sand Key (Clearwater), Belleair Beach. Belleair Shores, and the northern portions of Indian Rocks Beach

http://www.hometownlocator.com/City/Belleair-Bluffs-Florida.cfm nice map

http://familyfun.go.com/family-travel/places/feature/famf0501amelia/ picture of bluff like structure on Amelia Island

http://www.williamshouse.com/history.html
Marcellus Williams and his wife, Ema, the great-great-granddaughter of the King of Spain purchased the home in 1859 from a wealthy Boston banker who built it in 1856. Williams was a true Florida pioneer as he surveyed the State during the 1800's. He worked for the firm of Lawrence Washington, nephew of George Washington. He surveyed for the Federal Government and had famed New York architect, R.S. Schulyer design the most unique gingerbread in the area and install it on the front of the home. William's surveyed for the railroad from Amelia Island to Cedar Key, the Intercoastal waterway from Lake Worth to Fort Myers, south to Key Biscayne and into the Everglades. Marcellus was one of the first people to befriend the Seminole Indian Nation

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~gtusa/usa/fl.htm Aurytown........A class A pirate town located on the north side of Honeymoon Island, across from Crystal Beach, which is due west of Tampa. It was founded and named after the French pirate, Louis de Aury. Several dozen buildings were located here in the early 1800s.

OP
OP
S

stanley

i was just wonderin if anyone has checked out ballies bluff it is just north of the anclote river and it is a very large bluff.

OP
OP
S

stanley

i live across the st from the anclote river and i have seacrhed for hours and hours does anyone have any idea what section of the river would be best to look

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well SWR,
Your more than welcome to consider it a waterway if you'd like, I don't really care that much as to what it's referred to... and I'm pretty sure living my whole life of 23 years in Saint Petersburg would be very much considered "growing up" in most cases? ???
But either way, with as much (or as little) land that divides the waterway with the actual Gulf... I don't see where there's a strong need for correction on the matter if your from Florida as well as I and know the area? If you were simply dealing with stories and maps of Florida... that would be quite a different story, would it not?
Or if you just want to prove that you know more... just say so. I don't claim to know everything, which is why I do quite a bit of research on my own, outside of college and work. I was just under the assumption that we are here to help each other out with the research of historical records. :)

Bran <><

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
godisnum1 said:
I was just under the assumption that we are here to help each other out with the research of historical records.? :)

Bran <><

ABSOLUTELY BRAN

Thanks for your posts.

JEFF

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Florida doesn't seem to be the place for bluffs, but, like I said earlier, there are many large ancient Indian mounds along the coast and intercoastal waterway. There was a large Indian mound/bluff on the east coast at Indian River. It was called Barker's Bluff.? ?http://www.nbbd.com/npr/pips/CentennialBrochure/
(Use key words' Barker's Bluff Pelican Island 'for an 1898 pic and story.)
That part is very believable as there are many Calusa mounds on the west coast. And there is Tampa Bay. And there are freshwater springs in the area.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
SWR said:
gypsyheart said:
found sources for quotes? at
http://www.treasurelore.com/florida/florida_treasure.htm
http://www.finetuning.com/articles/...s-and-pirate-loot-on-the-florida-beaches.html

And? someone better inform Marriot? about no Clearwater Bay ...because they sure advertise it alot? :)? http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/TPAMS
Offering a spectacular 10-story view of Clearwater Bay along the pristine Gulf Coast of Florida, Marriott Suites Clearwater Beach on Sand Key hotel is perfect for a family vacation or a business conference that feels like vacation.

Ah yes, ?Clearwater Harbor? sides the Marriott, which is really the intercoastal waterway. Just a heads up, the link you supplied (the seconded one is just a copy of the first) has several fantasy pirate stories on it, and was probably created for entertainment purposes only.

Thanks again, Jim

Now I am confused...the first link was to Jeff Kramer's website...a treasure seeker ,who I see has posted in this forum at different times
The second link was an article written by Nancy Meadows-Galloway...noted author of several travel and vintage identification books....

As far as identifying different landmarks state to state...that would vary by any person giving directions or descriptions ...what some might call a bluff in Florida...we would call an ant hill? here or a sand dune.....
I guess nothing would be found today if we had to rely on fact alone...many treasures have been found because of some person following a legend or hunch or intuition that other scholars scoffed at.....or by just plain thinking out of the box.....its up to the seeker to sort out fact from fiction as part of their own research of their quest.....Any supplied free info given to that person,should be weighed against? what they already know....maybe in that info...is the one clue that they didn't think of ...while the rest is just rubbish...

If you say there is no Clearwater Bay .....then is the rest of the world suppose to say.....well he knows....and let it drop.....or are they suppose to say "hmmmm....maybe someone called it Clearwater Bay? at one time....lets see there is a Clearwater....and it evidently has a harbor....could that be Clearwater Bay to the person who first described it ........Persia isn't on todays maps either...Are the Greek historians wrong in their writings....or could it be Iran as we know it....

Evidently there is some conflict to whether there are actual bluffs in Florida ,by people who actually live there...so who is the rest of the world to believe?
Wisconsin Bluffs below :

Attachments

• casrk03h.jpg
    casrk03h.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,942

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Often large Indian mounds were created over thousands of years by the water and were manmade bluffs. They were there in the 1800's but may not be there now, as modern man used the shell bluffs for fill. The same would go for a spring. As water use increased, some springs dried up.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL... wow Gypsyheart, you should stop... I think I'm starting to fall in love with you. Heh... ;) j/k! Thanks for the input though, your amazing!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
godisnum1 said:
LOL... wow Gypsyheart, you should stop... I think I'm starting to fall in love with you. Heh...? ;) j/k! Thanks for the input though, your amazing!!!

She does have an Amazing penchant for Research.

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Ok, to clarify..there is no "Clearwater Bay". There IS an "Old Tampa Bay" which borders Clearwater. There IS the intracoastal waterway that also runs past Clearwater. Clearwater is about 16 miles South of the Anclote River. There are no "real" bluffs around the Anclote River or Clearwater, although it seems to be popular to include the word in subdivision names.. (maybe to give the impression of high ground) ;)

K

Kentucky Kache

godisnum1 said:
LOL... wow Gypsyheart, you should stop... I think I'm starting to fall in love with you. Heh...? ;) j/k! Thanks for the input though, your amazing!!!
Easy there, fellow, that's my woman. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread