Old Spanish Mine in the Sierra Estrellas Arizona - What do you know?

matt787

Feb 21, 2010
I want to start by saying I am not a treasure hunter, I don't even own a metal detector. What was once a secret only known by a small group of individuals is now becoming something of common knowledge. The Old Stone house and mine site in the Sierra Estrellas is even an entry on a popular AZ hiking site now! I am trying to learn the backstory of the mine and continue with the research that John Arthur Deal started with his "Brazil" website. Information is sparse and accounts vary. I have been pursuing a great number of angles and an incredible number of sources to which most yield little information beyond what Arthur Deal himself already found. My interest is in eventually creating a website to document the complete history of the mine and a background of the Estrellas, and in preserving the site in it's present condition. If Arthur deal is correct which from my research I would think so, the stone house is the third oldest (known) Spanish structure in Arizona.

But I need help! I know over the years many have visted this site including treasure hunters. Pictures are sparse as are first hand accounts of the condition of the site. I am also pursuing the John D. Mitchell legend and whether it holds any water. Finding Don Joanquin Campoy (if he existed) will likely take access to the archives in Mexico and Spain, a search that will be a ways a away. But if I can find the cave reported by Mitchell near Montezuma's head that would be a significant step. I am also trying to record information about activity and the original conditon of the mine. From pictures to first hand accounts anything would be valuable especially anything before the 50's when it seems most of the artifacts were removed and some damage was done.

Of course all sources will be kept anonymous unless specified otherwise by you. And I would be happy to share any information I have with you. From the original work by the spainards to Milton F. Rose's discovery and apparent work done in the 50's or 60's it is clear that little to no wealth remains but that of historical significance. I know there are people out there that have been here. Please help preserve the historical record for all of us, and perhaps shed some light on the John D. Mitchell legend in the process. It is a very interesting story and one that deserves to be told!

Happy Hunting!
Matt Brady
[email protected]

Attachments

• Az Highways Pic Low-Res.jpg
    Az Highways Pic Low-Res.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 875
OP
OP
M

matt787

Feb 21, 2010
By the way the above pic is from a 1935 AZ Highways. One of a few pictures of the Stone House with the complete roof I know of.

And for those interested here is a link to the John D. Mitchell legend from John Deal's Site
http://www.brazilbrazil.com/d/doc_001.jpg

I have a better copy from his book but I haven't had a chance to scan it in yet. John D. Mitchell certainly visited the site but is there any truth to the rest of the legend? Mr. Deal didn't believe there was any significant wealth produced, but the assessment of Milton F. Rose, a treasure hunter and prospector to visit the claim in the early 1900's, believed it to be a decent producer. The extensive currals, and time taken to build the stone house could support this.

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should probably post this in the ARIZONA section!!!
Here is the thread I posted about the old rock house as well as a few photos http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,149067.msg1069676.html#msg1069676

I was up there a few months ago and came across a date scratched on a rock '1768' maybe..will have to go back and look at my video to get the exact date, Could be old but it could have been scratched by some moron playing games :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread