17 Tons of gold in New Mexico

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to read some theory's, facts or other information on the 17 tons
of gold in New Mexico, Any stories anyone may have heard about it.
If you believe in this treasure, thats find give your thoughts on it.
If you don't believe in it, thats fine also, tell us you thoughts on it.
This is an interesting treasure, real or not real. And if its real, it may
have been found. What do you think?
If we could keep the subject on the 17 tons of gold, and not turn it into
a Dowsing topic. I think those that are interested in it would enjoy it more

Clayton... Roadquest

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Polygragh and if needed sodium P
Thats right Clayton,I have some other info for you, I will try to remember where I have seen it (book/internet ???)I remember a very old timer told me about the airstrip etc. but I put it off as a b.s. story

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
I will do that Clayton, actually I live in Mesa,AZ but have been stomping around NM,Northern AZ,SO CA,for the last 47 years,I will see what I can dig up for you,I also remember that a lot of people have been searching for the gold that was stashed nearby ;)

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the most current update to this hidden fortune as I know it is from a professional TH'er who took up residence in Farmington, NM so as to look for this thing full time.

The only person still alive who had any direct involvement in this story was the pilot who flew the gold from Mexico to the US. He was from, at the time, and still lives in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The gold was taken first to a cave for temporary storage, and then on to a ranch where it was buried until the mid-fifties. The caretaker of the ranch got paranoid because he thought the US Government was zeroing in on the location of the gold, so he dug it all up and redeposited it somewhere within an hours drive of the original burial place. Around the area of the original hiding place, there were five 60lb. bars wrapped in red canvas and oilcloth. Carved into these bars are the directions to the current hiding place. My last word was that three of the bars have been recovered, but all five are needed to complete the puzzle. To make things even more difficult, none of the bars clues lead to the other bars. Only to the final resting place of all the gold, so finding the bars has to be done mostly by chance. I know two of the bars were found under rocks that had iron spikes driven into them. The original hiding place was found. There are still depressions in the ground where the gold was buried previously and then dug up.

For anybody who doesn't believe this story, the letters of negotiation between the US Government and the Mexican Miners Representatives are easily obtainable through the Freedom of Information Act. I'm not positive, but I believe you can get them from the Library of Congress as well.

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gollun

Thats an interesting new take "to me" on this treasure. You say the pilot that
flew the gold from Mexico to the U.S. was yet alive and living in Salt Lake, City Utah.
From all the records I have seen, they say the pilot Bill Elliot was shot down during
the war and killed. And if Bill were yet alive how old would he be now? I know you are
about on it with the weight of the gold bars the Mexicans at that time cast there gold
bars into
33 kilos, one bar would be @72.6 lbs. gollum, could you tell me how he came about the
information to make him believe that version of where the treasure is hid. You know I
can't say it's not the real real way this treasure was buried, wish I knew, I guess we
will all find out when it's found . If the finders talk. And also are we talking about the same
pilot, or doe's this treasure hunter you are talking about, believe it to be a differant person.
I find you story to be very interesting, thanks for you input

Clayton .. Roadquest

MesaBuddy

Feb 8, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
Hey Gollum where you been?? Oh the Four Corners missing gold is real thats for sure ;)You look familiar,I could of swore I seen you in Palm Desert a week or so ago?Glad to see your O K and that shaft didn't swallow you ;D out there by Yaqui Ridge?
Take Care
MesaBuddy

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to be back. Last week while out in Anza-Borrego Desert, I started hearing some random whistling from about 100-150 yards from where I was. I had two thoughts: 1. Illegals warning each other that somebody was near, or; 2. I was hanging out in the vicinity of some drug runners' stash. When I pulled out the 12 gauge, all the whistling suddenly stopped. Nevertheless, I got in the truck and drove away. Didn't feel like getting in a gunfight by myself. Good thing I hadn't parked away and hiked in. Wasn't me in Palm Desert. I'm usually one of two places; out in the field or selling Mercedes in Arcadia.

Meanwhile back on the ranch; the info I got comes from one of a group of eight guys whose life's work is finding valuable things that have been lost to the ages. I read the stories about this as well, but from what I gather, Bill Elliot is not the guy. These guys are pretty tight lipped about most of the specifics. Since most of this entire operation was under the table, the name Bill Elliot might have been used to hide the identity of the real pilot. I wasn't given any names, but from the conversation, the pilot in question seemed to be still living. At least he was referred to in the present tense, and they had spoken with him. Not likely if he died in WWII. Not sure of his exact age, but I would suspect him to be in his late eighties or early nineties.

They have spoken with the family of the caretaker who hid the gold in it's current hiding place. They are closed-mouth about it as well because they are looking for it too. These people actually showed them the depressions where the gold was originally hidden. They (the family) got some info from the old man before he died, but he took any details with him to the grave as far as anybody knows.

From what I have heard, it seems likely (maybe) that this cache may be found within the next couple of years (with luck) by one of three groups who are seriously actively looking for it: My Guys, The Family of the Caretaker, and the US Government. I don't think the Government is actively searching, but I'll bet dollars to donuts they have every Treasury Agent in the area with their ears open listening for any rumors about someone striking it rich, ready to swoop in and grab the spoils of someone else's years of research and hard work under Eminent Domain!

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he was whistling Zippity doo dah, that was ME. I saw some guy with a gun and I took off. ;D

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bobinsd said:
If he was whistling Zippity doo dah, that was ME. I saw some guy with a gun and I took off. ;D

No, it wasn't zipadee doodah (I have Song of the South on video. I LOVE THAT MOVIE!). Anyone who has spent any time around Mexicans knows the sound of the whistles they call each other with. It's really neat (I'm not a great whistler, so I'm easily impressed). In a city environment, you know what it is, but in the middle of nowhere, I would have thought it was coming from animals (if I didn't already know better). The main reason I left was because my deer slugs and 006 buckshot didn't have the range or accuracy of an automatic rifle! I assumed that if they were drug smugglers, they at least had a couple of rifles, if not more!

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
think about it...it was the late 20's...at that time no airplane could carry 17 tons of anything....Even today it would take a lot of time and effort to manage such a heavy load...
I believe that some gold was stached, but not 17 tons.... ???

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lou423 said:
think about it...it was the late 20's...at that time no airplane could carry 17 tons of anything....Even today it would take a lot of time and effort to manage such a heavy load...
I believe that some gold was stached, but not 17 tons.... ???

Do a little research! Supposedly they flew in about 1500 lbs. per trip. All the flights took about 4 to 5 months to complete. As for the amount stashed, as stated in my previous posting, ALL the stories give the same amount for a reason: The letters between the Mexican Miners Representatives and the US Government are available through the Freedom of Information Act.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Seventeen tons is a PILE of gold (even more than Tennessee Ernie Ford could dig in a day) but I'm having a mental problem with it. Is this seventeen tons of 2000 pounds times 16 ounces or 2000 pounds times 12 ounces? Sounds like a silly question but that avoirdupois(SP?) weight confuses my small brain.

grizzly bare

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grizzly, I think it's 16 ounces, I think I know someone that will know
for sure. I will ask them. I know they cast it in 33 kilos
one bar would be @ 72.6 pounds. Your question is not silly, it could
shead some new lite on this subject.
I have done two searches for this treasure. Its a long drive for me. So
I try to have at least one other target to search for
when I'm there. If things go right I hope to be back out there in med
to late April. My thoughts are, at one time this gold was buried out
there. It may all yet be there. Or maybe, it was removed. I don't think
anyone knows for sure. If it was removed maybe they missed a bar or
two. I would be happy with one bar. I enjoy doing the research, and
getting out in the field and searching for it. Ever now and then. Someone
comes up with a new take on it. Like gollum, He could be right, I'm not saying he isn't.
If he feels he has a good lead on it, I hope he makes a search for it in
his target area, before someone else doe's
Clayton.....Roadquest

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Roadquest,
Happy with one bar? I'd guess so! Even at 12 ounces to the pound, that one bar would be worth 470 thousand dollars! at 16 ounces per pound something like six hundred thousand.
Now let's go find one each!

grizzly bare
Not greedy, just wants it all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread