Jones Gold, Fort Huachuca, Arizona...

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Sumerluvin 22 - I highly recommend E.B. "Ted" Sayles' excellent book Fantasies of Gold; Legends of Treasures and How They Grew (1968) - pgs. 12-26 - for the story of "Sergeant" Jones and his treasure. There are, of course, many other articles and mentions in books (much of the material, of course, simply copies earlier writers), but this one is a great place to start.

"Jesse Ed Rascoe" has two pages on the tale in Western Treasures Lost & Found (1971) - but there isn't anything here you won't find in the book by Sayles.

You might also be interested in "History of Fort Huachuca, 1877-1890" - The Smoke Signal (Spring 1974 - No. 29) published by The Tucson Corral of the Westerners. It is the history of the fort - nothing to do with the treasure yarn.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
One of the big magazines (Time or Life) did an article about this, I beleive in the 1950s. If I was researching this sotry, that would be one of my first stops. They were there when Jones was actually on the base trying to make the recovery. Plenty of informaiton on this in the newspapers as well if you have a subscription to one of the digital accounts.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Randy - Surprisingly, Probert doesn't list that Life Magazine article (although he does cite Western Mining and Industrial News, which the serious researcher might want to hunt down).

Happily, John Reed did find the article you mention:

"Great Quest of Robert Jones, Ft. Huachuca, Arizona" - Life, March 14, 1960 (Vol. 48, No. ?).

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread