Jones Gold, Fort Huachuca, Arizona...

Jun 1, 2010
Jones' Gold, Fort Huachuca, Arizona...

For anyone interested in the Jones' Gold on Fort Huachuca, Arizona. The poweres that be are planting 'endangered species' plants on the site. They are marked by the small red flags and tags.
Now why would anyone plant endangered species over a suspected treasure site...except to keep everyone out!

ZJBarney

Jun 22, 2010
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Cutlass 2 umax
Re: Jones' Gold, Fort Huachuca, Arizona...

Interesting, I might have to make a field trip up to Huachuca Canyon this weekend. The thought of $60 mil gives just about anyone gold fever.

firebird21

Dec 28, 2008

A friend of mine furnished me with details of this story and photos of Jones at the site. He was a prospector, a historian and a western author who knew Jones personally. Jones passed away quite a few years ago, but after hearing the details from Jones himself my friend and I became convinced that Jones really did fall into a cavern that contained numerous gold and silver bars. Obviously getting permission to search on the fort will be difficult, but if anyone is interested in the details that came directly from Jones - contact me.

ZJBarney

Jun 22, 2010
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Cutlass 2 umax

The whole idea of this story piqued my interest a few months ago when I stumbled on it researching the history of Ft. Huachuca. With the amount of caves and limestone formations it makes it seem plausible, but the thought of riches has crazed many a sane man. Between geodes, meteorite strewnfields and the Fourth my weekend looks busy, but I think I may be able to find some time to give the area a look just to satisfy my curiosity.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

Hola amigos,

Strange that they would be planting endangered species plants in that particular area; one has to wonder at the reason? Perhaps the planters are just unaware of the buried treasure?

Thank you for the link to the article, I have never seen it before - the old TV series "Unsolved Mysteries" ran an episode on this lost treasure some years ago too, and what surprised me was that the Army actually agreed to help dig up and recover the treasure. I wonder if the current post commander of Ft Huachuca would be so congenial to treasure hunters? :laughing9: :laughing7:

I look forward to following this discussion; good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek. :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

Nugget Hunter Smith

Jun 18, 2010
Mobile, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charles Kenworthy, noted treasure hunter, and his Quest team got permission to hunt for this treasure in the 80's. They searched and searched and dug holes but came up with nothing. I think the military or government recovered this cache like they did at Victorio Peak.

msgpeteret

Jul 21, 2010
Sierra Vista, AZ

I have been up there looking a few times. I found the dig site and where they had put the conduit in the ground after it supposedly flooded.
I find this interesting, the CORPS of Engineers often fill holes with sand after they have been used or excavated. The GPR that was used to locate the site, found an area (cavern) that seemed to have been filed with sand. Huummm

I have not been up there in about 5 years or so now.

CrankyYankee

Jun 2, 2011

I recently visited Fort Huachuca and asked at the museum if there was anything 'new' about the treasure and was told, "No. And if there was anything, I wouldn't tell you." So...there's the latest.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

WELCOME TO TREASURENET CrankyYankee! :thumbsup: :hello2: :hello:

Sorry to hear about your rather negative experience with the personnel at the base museum, perhaps that person was having a bad day. Thanks for posting and I look forward to reading more from you,
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Cranky Yankee:

With all due respect, probably the worst approach is to flat out ask any museum or historical society person about buried or otherwise lost treasure.

Too many sites have been destroyed by vandals following treasure legends. To my mind, people who dig up Indian graves, just for an example, are not treasure hunters. They are ghouls. Museum and historical society people almost always hold that opinion of all treasure hunters.

I'm not saying it is fair - I'm just stating it as a fact of life we all must now deal with. Most people in these organizations have a very, very low opinion of treasure hunters. At best they view them as a waste of time - at worst as thieves of history itself.

A far more productive approach is oblique. If you ever get a chance to read Treasure of the Valley of Secrets by "Deek Gladson" you'll read an excellent outline of how to explore a treasure story on the ground.

There's no reason for anyone to be rude about it. It's too bad they gave you the brush-off. But I think that will continue to be your experience more often than not if you continue to attempt the frontal attack. That worked very poorly for Gen'l Grant at Cold Harbor. Stonewall Jackson had much better luck at Chancellorsville with a surprise attack on the flank.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

vevogold

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2013
south east az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i work with a fella who's father was one of the two men that did the digging. He was 100% the gold was in the ground but what the the story does not tell is that jones told his father to dig rite here their will be two stones lying on each other to form an entrance as the stones were dugout he seid it has to be here knowone can point at this ground and know were something like this would be without knowing it was there first then he sed shortly afterwards c.i.d. showed up and seid cover it up and so they did so

vevogold

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2013
south east az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have been to the sight many times i fact just this afternoon on my lunch brake i went up with a friend that works with me. the bolder is still there with his JR carved into it. when i got back i started talking to my older friend whos father did the digging and another fella jim i know that works for the forest service joined in the conversation. he knew rodgers father very well before he past and i guess they talked alot about it.

vevogold

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2013
south east az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim sed that he was in fire post 1 which is around the lower part of the canyon and the guy smitty he was there with always had trouble sleeping he told jim the next morning that he seen 3 mp cars coming out of the canyon at hi speed followed by 3 duece and a halfs followed by 3 more mp cars this was the night after they first started digging

hannahgodfrey

Apr 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like a great story. And if the story goes around gold dug in there, endangered species plants are bound to be planted to keep people at bay. Wow! Still would love to believe in fairy tales :)

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Wasn't this one of the stories covered in the excellent Fantasies of Gold; Legends of Treasure and How They Grew? One of the best books I've read on lost mines and hidden treasures - it combines field knowledge with academic research into the folklore.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
S
Jun 1, 2010
Was back up 'Huachuca Canyon this last holiday. The little plastic flags are still there, but so is a new addition I had not seen before...an electrical box behind the planted area.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
SVN:

Are the plants new or newly identified with plastic signs? I know in other National Parks there are moves to replace invasive species with native plants. Some years ago in Death Valley a spring was cleared out of non-native plants and it was astonishing how much water appeared, birds began to stop again as they flew across the Valley, etc.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread