NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old topic but I've heard of legends of Lafitte's treasure...and that it (or at least a major clue to its location) is somewhere in the French Quarter of New Orleans.

I've heard that too, but the quarter has changed quite a bit since then, I doubt that you'd ever find anything.

K

Kentucky Kache

Lafitte's men are known to have lived in Texas long after the supposed burying of the Beale treasure, so if treasure remained hidden in the Blue ridge area of VA., why would these men, if they were Beale's men, stay away? Of course you could argue that they didn't stay away, but took the treasure away, pulling a double cross on Robert Morriss. But if you stay true to the story, you have to believe that Beale and his men died before they could get back, leaving Morriss with little more than three mysterious papers. If there is a Lafitte/Beal connection, then perhaps Thomas Beale was one of Lafitte's men and not Jon Lafitte himself. If Jon Lafitte's physical description matched that of Thomas Beal, it only stands to reason that some of Lafitte's fellow countrymen would also match. Maybe someone with years of Lafitte research can look in their records and see if one of Lafitte's men died around the same time as Thomas Beale's death. This wouldn't prove anything, but it would give you a person to do more research on. Was this person alloted a portion of Lafitte's wealth? I think it's pretty clear that Thomas Beale had connections with New Orleans, and that Jon Lafitte had connections with Virginia. Maybe the Beale treasure was merely one portion of Lafitte's wealth.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I find it passing strange how legends become intertwined. We have established that the "Beale Pamplet" is a work of fiction
but instead of fading into obscurity it morphs into a cottage industry. Now Jean Lafitte has to be Thomas Beale to fan the
dead embers back to life? C'mon guys, some of these newbies believe every word you tell them and waste precious time in
trivial pursuits rather that learning the art of research.

K

Kentucky Kache

I find it passing strange how legends become intertwined. We have established that the "Beale Pamplet" is a work of fiction
but instead of fading into obscurity it morphs into a cottage industry. Now Jean Lafitte has to be Thomas Beale to fan the
dead embers back to life? C'mon guys, some of these newbies believe every word you tell them and waste precious time in

Who established that the Beale pamplet is a work of fiction? Certainly it could be, and probably is, but I don't think anything has been established. Thomas Beal actually existed, so I really don't think it was Laffite that met Morriss (IF true).

K

Kentucky Kache

KK, even Reb sez it was a cover story, not a real description of events.

And that's why I think it might be a true description of events.:laughing7: Just kidding Reb.

The story might be false, who knows. It is fascinating to think about though. And even if the treasure is a hoax, maybe the un-deciphered codes are real, just as paper # 2 was. Even deciphering a made up code would be fun, don't you think?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Only portions of the story have been proven untrue. And, I don't know of anyone who has made the claim that Jean Laffite was Thomas Beale? I'm sure someone has made such a claim, I just don't recall anyone making that claim. Some have suggested that possibility, but I don't think anyone has actually made that claim.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
What portions are untrue? The part about a giant silver gold ledge? If that is untrue what is the basis for the legend?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(CHEESY GRIN) HA! My ears were burning... (impish smile); to clarify... "LastLeg", a COVER STORY does NOT necessarilly
mean TOTAL FICTION; the Lafitte theory WAS considered by Peter Viemeister (RIP), in his 2nd book on the Beale Treasure, and "Big Scoop" on TN is reviewing Lafitte's memoirs or something & HE sees a "link". LOL! For ALL of you. "Big Scoop" would have to clarify HIS view; for me, the "connecting link" is the War of 1812. Lafitte's men DID help Andy Jackson save New Orleans from the Brits; Paschal Buford WAS Capt. of Buford's Artillery in that war; Thomas
Beale, Sr. WAS Capt. of Beale's Rifles in that war. 1815, the city of Lynchburg, Va. gave a parade & dinner for Gen. Andrew Jackson... even Thomas Jefferson came out from Poplar Forest, Va. (@ 5-6 miles WEST from here) for it. LOTTA history... MANY possibilities! (WINK)

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(WINK) FURTHER, when Thomas Beale, Sr. had his hotel in New Orleans, in or near the FRENCH QUARTER, where Jean Lafitte had THE TEMPLE (his blacksmith shop), Jean and "crew" MAY have stayed at Thomas Beale, Sr's hotel at times... DUNNO. It wasn't a "LEDGE OF GOLD"... the "BP" said gold glinting from a "CLEFT IN THE ROCK", an OLD MASONIC phrase in the lower degrees of the "Blue Lodge". Both Jean's older brothers were Freemasons (Pierre & Alex); Alex is even buried in one of the OLD cemeteries in the French Quarter, with a HUGE "Square & Compass" on it. It MAY even have a "code" on it... DUNNO! (WINK & GRIN)

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much will come to light on the subject. Many new things have been uncovered lately and others are still being uncovered and reviewed. All I can tell you at this time is that it is going to be very, very hard for anyone to dispute the Laffite/French theory when it is finally all said and done. The recent uncovering of one document in particular is extremely telling. For those of you who believe in Laffite's involvement, keep believing. For those of you who don't, you should and most certainly will. :thumbsup: I told Reb a while back the noose is being tightened and the sprawling gallows were slowly being built....so Boys, "get ready for a lot of hanging!" :wink:

K

Kentucky Kache

Much will come to light on the subject. Many new things have been uncovered lately and others are still being uncovered and reviewed. All I can tell you at this time is that it is going to be very, very hard for anyone to dispute the Laffite/French theory when it is finally all said and done. The recent uncovering of one document in particular is extremely telling. For those of you who believe in Laffite's involvement, keep believing. For those of you who don't, you should and most certainly will. :thumbsup: I told Reb a while back the noose is being tightened and the sprawling gallows were slowly being built....so Boys, "get ready for a lot of hanging!" :wink:

I don't doubt Laffite's involvement, but I doubt Beale BEING Laffite. I say that because Laffite would have been going into Beale's home area, where Beale had been gone from for only a short while, claiming to be him. Obviously I could be wrong, but I don't see any intelligent person taking such a foolish risk. And whoever it was that visited Robert Morriss was intelligent.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't doubt Laffite's involvement, but I doubt Beale BEING Laffite. I say that because Laffite would have been going into Beale's home area, where Beale had been gone from for only a short while, claiming to be him. Obviously I could be wrong, but I don't see any intelligent person taking such a foolish risk. And whoever it was that visited Robert Morriss was intelligent.

I would say you are probably correct in your assessment.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without saying too much at this time, I will offer you this much:

In the pamphlet were are told that all of the members of Beale's party had to first agree to certain terms & conditions.
In the Laffite memoirs it is explained to us, in regard to George Graham's visit to Galveston Island and his conversations with General Lallemand that, "George Graham was unaware that Lallemand was under oath to New Orleans."

Recently a "bombshell" document was discovered that explains both the oath and these terms and conditions. This document is also signed and dated, and, the signer of this document can be directly connected to Laffite and the perilous enterprise he was involved in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread