Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Looking for info about Fanny and Jenny wreck and REL's mystery sword

Try googling "Fanny and Jenny." It's pretty common knowledge. She's currently under the Wrightsville pier. Boilers show themselves sometimes as the sand shifts.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

the sword is mine.......g

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Robert E Lee's sword is not with the F&J. The man who protected it drowned in the breakers with it tied to him as he tried to swim to shore. My guess is that it was quietly confiscated when his body washed ashore. Otherwise, if he let it go, it has settled very deeply in the sand condsidering how heavy it was. Could be in the dunes, the beach or well embedded below the breakers. You would need a deep seeking detector and a mailbox (blower). Also, I'm not sure if that area gets dredged to replenish the beach. Yikes!

Albert Osborn

Dec 6, 2004

Darren, years ago, I did a search for this sword.
Now, that I am a better dowser, I would like
to do another search to see if I come to the
same conclusion. I don't have those maps, so
I don't know where to begin. Where did this
wreck happen? Any info would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
[email protected]

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

albert, sent you a maptech on this area..........gldhntr

Albert Osborn

Dec 6, 2004

At one time, I remember seeing a photo
of this sword. Does anyone have this photo?

Thanks,
Howso

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Never saw a picture - if you get one, please post it.

Logic would narrow the search down pretty well between the F&J and the nearest point on shore (if the sword hasn't been found already). Early maps should be reviewed to check the changes in shoreline.

I'd love to hear if someone found it. It's not a definitive enough treasure for me :)

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

found this yankee report on www.historycentral.com regarding the fannie and jennys capture and destruction.....sounds like they found the sword before demolition of the craft.......................''U.S.S. Florida, Commander Peirce Crosby, forced blockade runner Fanny and Jenny aground near Masonboro Inlet, North Carolina. Immediately thereafter, Crosby sighted blockade runner Emily aground nearby. Unable to get either steamer afloat and under fire from a Confederate Whitworth battery, Crosby burned them. Fanny and Jenny carried an assorted cargo including a quantity of coal; Emily carried a cargo of salt. On Fanny and Jenny was also found a solid gold jewel-studded sword inscribed: "To General Robert E. Lee, from his British sympathizers."

Crosby reported that information given him by the captured crew members of Fanny and Jenny indicated that ten blockade runners had sailed from Nassau for Wilmington ". . . during this dark of the moon. Three have been destroyed, and one put back, broken down, leaving six others to be heard from."
.........so far i have not heard of its turning up anywhere, so, WHERE IS IT ?? ..........................................gldhntr

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Hey gldhntr,

That's a new one to me. If it's true, it must have ended up in a private collection or given as a gift to someone else.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

first i heard about it myself,,, maybe it was buried by the yankee with intentions of later recovery but who knows.........every story i have heard on it is like this one from a Confederate blockade runner writing down memoirs...............''The ?Fannie and Jennie.?

The Fannie and Jennie was a side-wheel Confederate steamer of note, engaged in running the blockade for about a year during the Four Years? War.

[54]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
She was of good speed, fourteen knots, and was commanded, it is said, by Captain Coxetter, of Charleston. During the night of February 9, 1864, she made the land to the northward of Wrightsville Beach, but her pilot, Burriss, was not sure of his position, so he anchored the ship and made a landing in the surf to ascertain his bearings. It having been the intention of the captain to make the land about two miles north of Fort Fisher, he then proceeded down the beach in the darkness. Unhappily, however, she stood too close in shore, and grounded repeatedly, and at about midnight stranded on a shoal a mile or two to the southward of where Lumina now stands. At daylight she was discovered by the Federal cruiser Florida, commanded by Capt. Peirce Crosby, who made me a prisoner of war a few months later. Captain Crosby, desiring to save the Fannie and Jennie and realize big prize money, ran a hawser from his ship to the stranded vessel, intending to pull her off into deep water, when a Confederate flying battery of Whitworth guns of long range, from Fort Fisher, opened fire from Masonboro Beach, and with great precision cut off one of the Florida's paddle-wheel arms, broke a second one, and cut a rim of the wheel in two; also, one of the Confederate shells exploded on

[55]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
board the Florida and came near destroying her. The Florida returned the fire, which so alarmed the captain and crew of the Fannie and Jennie that some of them attempted to reach the beach in boats. In this attempt Captain Coxetter and his purser were drowned in the breakers, the others gaining the shore; the rest of the crew, twenty-five in number, who remained on board were made prisoners by the Federals. Captain Coxetter had in his keeping a very valuable gold jewelled sword, which was to be delivered to Gen. R. E. Lee as an expression of the admiration of many prominent English sympathizers. It is still on board this wreck, which lies near a line of breakers to the south of Lumina. The Fannie and Jennie was loaded with a valuable cargo, five days out from Nassau bound to Wilmington, when she was stranded.

Albert Osborn

Dec 6, 2004

I did an extended search on this and this
is what I determined. Captain Coxetter
struck out in a South by Southwestern
direction over land and finally delivered
this sword to the location I have found.
Maybe the owners will at least let me
take a polaroid shot of it and maybe they
will sell it, That's doubtful. I won't be
going that way for some time. Will advise
the form when I know something.

Howso

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Albert Osborn said:
...and finally delivered
this sword to the location I have found.
Maybe the owners will at least let me
take a polaroid shot of it and maybe they
will sell it...

Howso

Albert, are you saying you found the sword's current owner?

Albert Osborn

Dec 6, 2004

I don't know the owner of Lee's sword,
I just know where it is. By the way, it
doesn't take me weeks or months to
find what I'm looking for. Sometimes, I
can find it in less than 30 minutes. That's
what happens when you know what you
are doing. You spend 20 years trying to
learn dowsing as I have, you learn a lot
unless you are retarded.

Happy hunting to all,
Howso

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So where is the sword, or do I fall in the retarded catagory with you??? Hell, its only a five minute job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread