Jose Gonzalez Escobar

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend in Canada is curious about ------>

What is known of Jose Gonzalo Escobar!
This gentlemen in 1929 fled Mexico with a large amount
of gold pesos stolen from the Tampico bank of Mexico and lived in Canada until 1943.
Very little is known of what happen with the gold.
I would love to find out more simply i live close to Val Barret,the town were he spent years in Canada
Any ligth on the subject would be appreciated.
Roger

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI: How is your Spanish? If no good will translate.
DonJose

Revolución Mexicana
Nació en Mazatlán, Sinaloa, en 1892. Se incorporó en 1913 a la lucha constitucionalista; destacó en el Cuerpo de Ejército del Noroeste. Fiel a Venustiano Carranza combatió y derrotó dos veces a Francisco Villa en 1914 y 1915. Participó en la lucha sonorense contra Venustiano Carranza en 1920 y representó a Adolfo de la Huerta en la revolución de Villa.

[editar] Ejército Mexicano
Fue jefe de operaciones en varias entidades federativas y luchó en 1924 contra la Rebelión delahuertista, triunfando con Rafael M Pedrajo en la Batalla de Palo Verde y en la Toma de Ocotlán. También combatió al Gral. Arnulfo R. Gómez en 1927, a quién derrotó, hizo prisionero, y ejecutó.

[editar] Escobarismo
En marzo de 1929 se rebeló a su vez, encabezando un movimiento que se llamó “Renovador” y que lanzó el manifiesto de Hermosillo, Sonora, contra Emilio Portes Gil cuando éste era presidente interino; el movimiento tenía como primer objetivo evitar que Calles impusiera al nuevo presidente(Pascual Ortiz Rubio), el segundo objetivo era colocar a Escobar como sucesor de Portes Gil; llegó a tomar las plazas de Saltillo, Durango, Parral, Navojoa, Nogales, Monterrey, Veracruz, Torreón y otras en los estados de Sinaloa y Sonora; a este movimiento se le conoce como Rebelión escobarista, trató de financiarse saqueando a los bancos particulares y al recién creado Banco de México, dinero que se llevaron los rebeldes en su huida a Estados Unidos. Fracasado el movimiento y derrotado por Plutarco Elías Calles, se exilió en Canadá, volviendo a México hasta el año de 1943 cuando era presidente de la República el general Manuel Ávila Camacho.

Para el año 1952 J. Gonzalo Escobar ya había sido ascendido General de División, siendo entonces Primer Vicepresidente del Consejo Supremo de la Asociación Política y Social Revolucionaria, por lo que organizaría un banquete que se realizará en honor del Presidente de esa Asociación, el General de División Jacinto B. Treviño, Senador electo de la República por el Estado de Coahuila, al cual acudieron muchos de los más importantes políticos de México de ese entonces.

Murió en la Ciudad de México en 1969.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Don Jose

Perhaps these 1929 newspaper stories might be of help a little to your friend?

Crow.

Attachments

• 432px-José_Gonzalo_Escobar.JPG
    432px-José_Gonzalo_Escobar.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,965
  • the brisbane courier thurs 7 march 1929.jpg
    the brisbane courier thurs 7 march 1929.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 689
  • the queenslander thurs 14 march 1929 general escbar p1.jpg
    the queenslander thurs 14 march 1929 general escbar p1.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 753
  • the queenslander thurs 14 march 1929 general escbar p2.jpg
    the queenslander thurs 14 march 1929 general escbar p2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,388
OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Crow, Thanks for the additional data , BUT, unfortunately you also reminded me that I had promised to translate the data to my friend and I had forgotten this until your post. You now owe me :coffee2: a , join me ? :coffee2:

Don Jose de La Mancha

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Don Jose

I'll keep the coffee pot on for ya! I am sure you could tell a yarn or two so I better make it 2 cups. :coffee2:

I can give you my poor translation that might help.

General Jose Gonzalo Escobar was a Mexican military officer who participated in the Mexican Revolution.

He was born in Mazatlán, Sinaloa, in 1892. He was involved in the 1913 constitutionalists fight. He enlisted into the Army Corps of the Northwest. Faithful to Venustiano Carranza and twice fought and defeated to Francisco Villa in 1914 and 1915. He participated in the war against Venustiano Carranza in 1920 and represented Adolfo de la Huerta in the revolution of Villa.

He was head of operations in several federal organizations and fought in 1924 against the Delahuertista Rebellion, prevailing against Rafael M Pedrajo in Batalla de Green Palo and Toma de Ocotlán. He also fought the General. Arnulfo R. Go'mez in 1927, to whom he defeated, he took prisoner, and executed.

In March of 1929 he rebelled as well, heading a movement that was called “Renovador” this movement was called the Escobarista Rebellion in Durango, Parral, Navojoa, Nogales, Monterrey, Veracruz, Escobar plundered the private banks and the newly created Bank of Mexico. it was this money that Escobar and the rebels took in their flight to the United States, when the movement failed and was defeated by Plutarco Elías Calles, He was exiled in Canada,

Returning to Mexico until the year of 1943 when General Manuel Ávila Camacho became president of the Republic. By 1952 General Gonzalo Escobar had been promoted to Major general. Being the First Vice-president of the Supreme Council of the Political Association and Social Revolutionary. The reason why was because he had organized a banquet in honor of the President of that Association, Major general Jacinth B. Treviño, elected Senator of the Republic by the State of Coahuila, to which many of the most important politicians of Mexico was from there.

Escobar died in Mexico city in 1969.

I wonder if he really had taken a lot of money out of the country, Why would he risk coming back in 1943?

Now where did I put that coffee? ;D

Crow

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
me thinks he might have lived off of some of the funds from 1929 to 1943 and then maybe used at least some of the funds he stole to "buy" his way back into "grace" so he could return home to mexico in 1943 --otherwise why didn't the current 1943 mexican govt "officals" arrest him for theft of govt funds from 1929? ---the old political "golden handshake" can cover a lot of sins.

however i would find out where he lived in canada and check it out carefully -- a man of that sort might have had a "hidden just in case" small "nest egg type fund" stash left behind in case things went "sour"--so that he could return to canada and live there as a simple joe blow sort of person--- "just in case" -- stolen govt money funds money in banks can be demanded by the owner govts --so doubtful he had much in the way of "bank accounts"-- a small buried gold peso stash of some sort is possible , in my way of thinking .

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Again

Ivan you make an interesting point.

According one book the amount of money looted by General Jose Gonzalo Escobar and his rebels was 40 million pesos.

The book where that reference came from was called "The Mexican revolution 1910-1940" ( Michel J Gonzalo ) 2002 page 217.

Don Jose:

Other books that may be of help to your friend.

"Wars of Latin America 1899-1941" ( Rene De La Toman 2006 ) page 298

"The Mexican right, the end of Revolutionary reform 1929-1940" ( John W Sherman 1997 ) page 19

"Life and times of Pancho Villa" ( Friedrich Katz 1998 ) page 778

"Yesterday in Mexico: A chronicle of revolution 1919-1936" ( John W F Dullies 1961 )

There appears to be no mention of him in relevant Californian newspapers so perhaps his flight to Canada by ship. local Canadian newspapers and shipping lists may be of help.

I hope this has been of service.

Crow.

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen: Excellent trans crow. The gentleman that was interested in Escobar lives in Canada near where Esobar lived and has the same idea as my friend , Ivan the terrible..

Information asked for--> In March of 1929 he rebelled as well, heading a movement that was called “Renovador” this movement was called the Escobarista Rebellion in Durango, Parral, Navojoa, Nogales, Monterrey, Veracruz, Escobar plundered the private banks and the newly created Bank of Mexico. it was this money that Escobar and the rebels took in their flight to the United States, when the movement failed and was defeated by Plutarco Elías Calles, He was exiled in Canada,

Don Jose de La ancha

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Don Jose de La ancha

Has your friend found any thing interesting about Escobar in Canada?

It is an interesting and intriguing story full of possibilities.

Crow

Davignon

Jul 1, 2015
Mont-Laurier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Escobar in Canada, Mt-Laurier, Qc

image.jpg
Hi, I'm a bit late to give you an answer,sorry.
If you can' translate, let me know and I'll do it for you
Michel

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HI: How is your Spanish? If no good will translate.
DonJose

Revolución Mexicana
Nació en Mazatlán, Sinaloa, en 1892. Se incorporó en 1913 a la lucha constitucionalista; destacó en el Cuerpo de Ejército del Noroeste. Fiel a Venustiano Carranza combatió y derrotó dos veces a Francisco Villa en 1914 y 1915. Participó en la lucha sonorense contra Venustiano Carranza en 1920 y representó a Adolfo de la Huerta en la revolución de Villa.

[editar] Ejército Mexicano
Fue jefe de operaciones en varias entidades federativas y luchó en 1924 contra la Rebelión delahuertista, triunfando con Rafael M Pedrajo en la Batalla de Palo Verde y en la Toma de Ocotlán. También combatió al Gral. Arnulfo R. Gómez en 1927, a quién derrotó, hizo prisionero, y ejecutó.

[editar] Escobarismo
En marzo de 1929 se rebeló a su vez, encabezando un movimiento que se llamó “Renovador” y que lanzó el manifiesto de Hermosillo, Sonora, contra Emilio Portes Gil cuando éste era presidente interino; el movimiento tenía como primer objetivo evitar que Calles impusiera al nuevo presidente(Pascual Ortiz Rubio), el segundo objetivo era colocar a Escobar como sucesor de Portes Gil; llegó a tomar las plazas de Saltillo, Durango, Parral, Navojoa, Nogales, Monterrey, Veracruz, Torreón y otras en los estados de Sinaloa y Sonora; a este movimiento se le conoce como Rebelión escobarista, trató de financiarse saqueando a los bancos particulares y al recién creado Banco de México, dinero que se llevaron los rebeldes en su huida a Estados Unidos. Fracasado el movimiento y derrotado por Plutarco Elías Calles, se exilió en Canadá, volviendo a México hasta el año de 1943 cuando era presidente de la República el general Manuel Ávila Camacho.

Para el año 1952 J. Gonzalo Escobar ya había sido ascendido General de División, siendo entonces Primer Vicepresidente del Consejo Supremo de la Asociación Política y Social Revolucionaria, por lo que organizaría un banquete que se realizará en honor del Presidente de esa Asociación, el General de División Jacinto B. Treviño, Senador electo de la República por el Estado de Coahuila, al cual acudieron muchos de los más importantes políticos de México de ese entonces.

Murió en la Ciudad de México en 1969.

???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread