Train Robbery Cache of Walla Walla, Washington

Littlebit

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2010
I have spent ten years now following all the clues and researching this treasure. It was Dorsey Baker, a prominant Walla Walla miner/banker that was robbed in(by my research), 1877. 300 lbs were undocumented(only once did he ever do that in his train ledger) in the summer of 1877. There is also a document I came across, dated the very day before that undocumented weight was added to the ledger, that suggests there was 12,000 gold coins being transfered to treasury(Portland).
I began researching this story, one my great grandfather researched for over 40 years, ten years ago. I have since found a location that may harbor the gold.
If I were to ask for any ideas on what I should do here, I would ask:
How do I get legal permission to dig and keep the gold, both with property owners and the State? any ideas?

K

Kentucky Kache

You have addressed one of the most difficult problems associated with cache hunting. The only way I know of, that could be considered anywhere near sure, would be to simply get permission to detect the property. Then if anything is found, you can decide what to do next. I'd like to know the best answers to that question too.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Sounds like you've done quite a bit of research on this cache. Here's the next step. Was the gold covered by insurance? Wells Fargo, perhaps? If so, the gold still belongs to them, provided they paid out on the claim. If there was no claim filed, and no insurance, then an insurance company of today cannot place a lien against any historic finds.

Next, are there descendants of Dorsey Baker still living? If so, they may have a claim to any stolen gold from their ancestor.

Then again, if you don't sell everything at one time, who cares? A few gold here, a few there, it all adds up, right?

OP
OP
L

Littlebit

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2010
Well, I have not gone and snuck out with the detector to search the exact spot where I think it lays.
When the two were captured. they repeatedly claimed that the gold was just a short distance back just off of the trail. My location fits beautifully, as an illusion is present that hides the dip where the HUMP is that is in open site, which I believe to be the spot where two saddle bags lay.
I am currently trying to contact the new owners of the property.
There is a descendant and she won't speak with me, at least by returning my messages.
I have left several messages for her to return my call on this subject over the last years, but never does she reply.
I am thinking of publishing my book on this subject soon...maybe someday, this one will play itself out.
Hopefully this week I have permission to hunt on that land. I will detect and probe the area and surroundings if I do and log in here with the details.
In the meantime I have been hunting with my new cheap detector and have been finding alot of coins.

WAres

Apr 30, 2011
Puyallup, WA
I've been reading on it, sounds like state park to me. You must have another leed. This summer I plan on hunting vashon's legend then try Walla Walla if you don't find it first

LJHanley06

Aug 19, 2006
Grew up in Walla Walla...heard of this lost treasure as well. If I am not mistaken, is this the one where the robbers were going to catch the boat downriver and missed it and had to stash the loot, then were caught? I know that Ft. Walla Walla in 1877 was at or near its current location...I wouldnt be too concerned for the Baker family...Im sure they wont miss it.

Lord_Baelfyre

May 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be willing to hunt with you to split the profit. Mainly I am tired of apartment life and need to buy a house for my fiancee, and our children. So if you are willing to hunt together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread