Confederate Gold Hidden in The Mountains.

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
I know we have all heard of the missing confederate gold,26 gold bars weighing in at 50 pounds each,hidden beneath the floor boards of a covered wagon. The wagon ambushed along dents run in PA and the gold subsequently missing. The appalachian Mntns. are full of old trails,caverns and caves. Check your local library for indian habitations in the area along dents run/caledonia,it would have been the perfect hiding place for such a treasure during the civil war era. Most of those native american dwellings were forgotten before the war and not inhabited after either. MD`in is one way to search for this treasure but 1300 pounds of gold didnt just dissappear and the never ending search for it tells me that its beneath the ground and out of range.Most likely in a cavern out of signal range for a MD`er to locate. GPR and forgotten native american dwellings are most definitely key in recovering the gold.Its out there ppl, we just have to find it.Thats just my thoughts on the subject and a mere opinion.Thought id share it considering i live in virginia and have recovered my share of gold coins and nuggets by researching old indian habitations prior to 1890.I have no plan to Search for gold in PA but if you live there it may give you some new ideas of places to look if you have exhausted all your other suspicions of the golds location.

Good Luck and HH

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Yes you are correct,It was a union payroll,The LT who was in charge of the gold was told to head as far north as possible before turning back south to avoid the remaining units of the rebel cause at the time. In my opinion the wagon train was attacked by the confederates and the gold stolen but you were correct about the gold being yankee gold. Take Care And Happy Hunting.

Gaijun1

Oct 11, 2010
Morgantown Wv
Dents Run Is A Very Interesting Landscape Im Trying To Get An Ariel View Of That Section By a Friend Who Will Photo It
And I Hope To Find It In The Spring After It Snows In When Were Takeing The Pictures We Should Be Able To Find A Route
They May Have Used To Bury It Im Certain It Will Come Up Empty But Its Worth a One In a Million Try

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Damnit Kgc-Rebel. Now im going to have to take a trip up to PA.Thanks for the info on the terrain. I honestly believe this story to be true because its archived in so many places, civil war history,the united states army civil war etiquette and in so many soldiers of the day have spoken of it. This is one Gold thats defiantly worth going For. Thanks for the terrain info and Happy Hunting.

John :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:<--thats what i`ll need for the trip. (i`ll probably need three cups just to get to the car lol. but you get my drift,Take care everyone. Be Safe.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:icon_thumleft: Be Safe! Good Luck! Drink LOTS of REG coffee :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: ;D
Be careful on I-81; once past Roanoke, Va. SHOULD be ok. YEE HAH! :wink: :D :coffee2: ;D

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I would highly recommend anyone interested in the "Missing Confederate Treasury" read William C. Davis' An Honorable Defeat; the Last Days of the Confederate Government (2001). The bibliography and footnotes are a treasure in and of themselves. Hunters will be particularly interested in the reference to Walter Philbrook's "recollection" (Chapter IV, footnote #29). Also, Alfred J. Hanna's Flight Into Oblivion (1938).

There is a wonderful story told about the Confederate government fleeing south from Richmond. At one stop they become engaged with a boy and his game of marbles. This has nothing to do with the fanciful treasure - I simply find it a wonderful image.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How large of a truck do I need to bring? Bring the food, because I love free food.

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
it was a yankee payroll but went missing in confederate territory,and we all know the confederacy is infamous for hoarding gold underground,spoils of war etc,much of it never recovered

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
tapoutking said:
Thats a pretty hefty load. Could a covered wagon handle that weight? Just curious.
For certain, There were numerous payrolls lost on both sides of the war using this method for tranporting gold,Like the theft of the confederate treasury which would be huge in size compared to this story. But thats all about the KGC and another post entirely

gods country girl

May 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this one has been found (not by me)

what i know so far is they found the gold bars , and of course didn't keep quiet , they are now fighting forestry for ownership.

will post more soon hopefully

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions