Superstition Mountain and the Search for Pancho Villas Lost Rifles!!!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superstition Mountain and the Search for Pancho Villa's Lost Rifles!!!

On a tip from another poster, I heard a story about a local mountain in SoCal. The story as I understand it goes like this:

There is a mountain in the desert West of Brawley, Ca. It is named Superstition Mountain. Around the turn of the century (the last one, not the current one ;-), A local rancher with land that encompassed part of the mountain, made a deal with Pancho Villa to sell him a quantity of weapons. The Rancher, on good faith, went ahead and purchased the weapons. When Villa had trouble getting the money, the rancher smelled a skunk. He took the weapons and hid them on Superstition Mountain (the exact description of the location witheld...for now). this is where the story gets a little vague, but for some reason, the deal never went through, and the weapons were never recovered.

Moving forward in time, we are now in the early 1940's. The United States Government, using their power of Eminent Domain, grabs all this land to use it for a Naval Gunnery and Bombardment Range, making it off limits to any non-military personnel.

Moving forward in time again, we now go to the 1960's. A wealthy neighbor of the storyteller hears the story and decides to go look for himself. He took his motorcycle out there. He found the shallow cave that was covered by boulders, and being a rather large gentleman, couldn't get all the way in back of the boulders. He did, however manage to get far enough back to reach in and get one pistol. He came back and waved the pistol around telling everybody the story. He, being wealthy, and old rifles and pistols not holding near the value they do today, decided not to go back and try to get the remaining weapons. My story source says that as a kid, on occasion, his family would pass the area on Highway 86. Somewhere along this route, his father would point out to him where these rifles were with binoculars. Before my source was old enough to go all the way out there by himself, they moved far away.

Today, these rifles and pistols would be worth $8k-$50k apiece, depending on condition and exact models.

Here is where I come into the picture. After reading some of my posts, and seeing that I live in Southern California, he tells me the story, and asked if I was interested in going to look. I'm always up for a good story, and he seemed knowledgeable about locations, names and whatnot. This gave me some confidence that I wouldn't be going on a wild goose chase.

I went out there once a couple of weeks ago and after driving 180 miles, find that the bombing range was in use and access was blocked. Quite the bummer! I called BLM and found a way in. The only problem was that the only way in only went as far as the South Side of the mountain. I needed to be on the other side.

Saturday morning, a friend of mine and I went out there and drove as close as we could to where we wanted to be. Being too far, and it being 90 degrees by 10AM, we made the decision to drive around to the North Side. We figured if the military didn't want us there, they would send somebody out to let us know. There are three radar towers on the three peaks of the mountain. We cut trails over the hardpan. About the time we get closer to the North Side, a pair of A6 Intruder Attack Aircraft flew low overhead on a bombong run. A little frightening if they released their loads early. For the most part, we stayed on the safe side of the signs warning of the danger of all the unexploded ordinance in the area (see the first pic). We saw lots of old practice bombs (blue), twisted and half buried in the sand. They aren't very powerful, but would blow a wheel off (kind of hard explaining to AAA why you need a tow from out there;-). The scary thing is not what you can see though. Since this has been a bombing range for almost 60 years most of the high performance unexploded ordinance would be underground and out of sight(I didn't mention this fact to my friend)! We made it around to the North side without incident (WHEW)! When you look at the mountain from a little distance, it looks sand covered. When you get closer, the rock formations start making themselves known. Following the instructions given, we hiked and climbed all over the North Side of this mountain. We trudged into every ravine that looked promising. Final Verdict; nothing that very closely matches the description of where these little beauties should be buried.

We figured memories may change somewhat over the years, and things may have changed somewhat. I am posting this thread so my story source can review the pictures to see if anything looked familiar. If you spot something, PM me.

Enjoy-Mike

Attachments

• Peligro1.jpg
    Peligro1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,585
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Superstition Mountain and the Search for Pancho Villa's Lost Rifles!!!

These first four are North Superstition Mountain from East to West.....

Attachments

• Superstition North Side 2.jpg
    Superstition North Side 2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,623
  • Superstition North Side 1.jpg
    Superstition North Side 1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,647
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Superstition North Side 4.jpg
    Superstition North Side 4.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,541
  • Superstition North Side 3.jpg
    Superstition North Side 3.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,565
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The following are many of the rock outcroppings from the North side of the mountain:

Attachments

• Superstition North Outcropping 4.jpg
    Superstition North Outcropping 4.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,548
  • Superstition North Outcropping 3.jpg
    Superstition North Outcropping 3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,698
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Superstition North Outcropping 7.jpg
    Superstition North Outcropping 7.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,455
  • Superstition North Outcropping 6.jpg
    Superstition North Outcropping 6.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,514
  • Superstition North Outcropping 5.jpg
    Superstition North Outcropping 5.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,666
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Superstition North Outcropping 9.jpg
    Superstition North Outcropping 9.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,441
  • Superstition North Outcropping 8.jpg
    Superstition North Outcropping 8.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,444
  • Superstition North Outcropping 9a.jpg
    Superstition North Outcropping 9a.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,436

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ

Let us assume for the sake of conversation that this story is true . The rancher would have to have found a spot where he would not be seen easily . Also it sounds like there were a large amount of weapons involved . Sooooo the hiding place should have been somewhere he could have brought the weapons to in a wagon . Also he would not have wanted to make numerous trips to a spot far from the trail so the hiding place would be close to a wagon trail if not a road . Of course the easiest place to have hidden them was someplace like burying them right under his barn or some other hidden place . Then go out in the wagon as if he were taking them to a hiding place just in case he was being watched . Sounds like a good story and a fun hunt .

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not a huge number of weapons. Any where on this mountain would be FAIRLY accessible. The tallest peak is only 100-125ft above the hardpan, so anywhere on the mountain would be possible.

Any old wagon or horse trails have been obliterated by the military. This area was also used to dump loads of excavated dirt and gravel.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

=paratrooper
Let us assume for the sake of conversation that this story is true . The rancher would have to have found a spot where he would not be seen easily . Also it sounds like there were a large amount of weapons involved . Sooooo the hiding place should have been somewhere he could have brought the weapons to in a wagon . Also he would not have wanted to make numerous trips to a spot far from the trail so the hiding place would be close to a wagon trail if not a road . Of course the easiest place to have hidden them was someplace like burying them right under his barn or some other hidden place . Then go out in the wagon as if he were taking them to a hiding place just in case he was being watched . Sounds like a good story and a fun hunt .
A) Good logic my firend, don't forget to load the wagon with the same weight so that the tracks appear correct for that weight, they were well aware of this then.

Till Eulenspiegle deLa macha

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RealdeTayopa said:
=paratrooper
A) Good logic my firend, don't forget to load the wagon with the same weight so that the tracks appear correct for that weight, they were well aware of this then.

Till Eulenspiegle deLa macha

Hey,

Good to hear from you. I just this evening heard a different version of this story. The way you did business back then was to buy and bury the rifles. When the buyer gave you the money, you handed them a map to where they were buried.

This rancher was bringing horses up from Mexico through Davies Valley (South of Ocotillo, right on the border), it got late and he hid the rifles in a box canyon offshoot of the valley. Villa's people gave him the money, and he gave them a map to the rifles. When they got there, they were attacked and chased away by hostile Indians. The rifles were never recovered.

Earl Stanley Gardner spent A LOT of time and money chasing this one down and never found the rifles. Anybody out there have his Treasure Hunting book? I don't know if he wrote about it in that, but if he spent so much time and money looking, it seems he would have published the story. If the rifles are on Superstition Mountain (22 miles away), maybe that explains why they were never found!

Mike

Albert Osborn

Dec 6, 2004

gollum,

you are correct in the fact that the
rifles were hidden in California. I located
50 rifles on the map, but I was surprised
that there were no pistols. I doubt this
is on the bombing range since they are
less than a thousand feet from a road.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Albert Osborn said:
gollum,

you are correct in the fact that the
rifles were hidden in California. I located
50 rifles on the map, but I was surprised
that there were no pistols. I doubt this
is on the bombing range since they are
less than a thousand feet from a road.

How did you locate them, map dowsing? If so, which road. You can PM me if you like. I'll split anything I find where you say to look.

Thanks-Mike

geezerdb

Jan 18, 2013
NE Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So was there any follow up done? Anyone ever find the stash of guns?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread