Homer Ludwigs sunk treasure find near Key Largo in the Florida keys?

Golden Clue

Aug 7, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Homer Ludwig's sunk treasure find near Key Largo in the Florida keys?

Has anyone researched a certain legend about a German handyman Homer Ludwig(Ludvig) who found some sunk treasure off Key Largo, FL ? There are a couple of accounts I come across. Here's the longer version -

Down in Key West, there lived in the 1870’s a middle-aged man of German extraction. His name was Homer Ludwig, and while most of his younger years had been spent at sea, it is said that he “jumped ship” at Key West, and became one of the town’s handymen. For the next 20 years he eked out a bare living, by doing odd jobs, and spent his spare time studying the history of the Island City. One day in early 1890’s Homer bought a small and decrepit sailboat and began to spend his spare time patching it up. To those who took the trouble to ask why he wanted a boat, he would explain that he intended to go treasure hunting. He claimed to have learned the location of a money chest removed from a vessel wrecked on a reef. He would talk at length about how the captain of the doomed ship had carried the money ashore, and buried it in the sand for safe keeping, intending to return with another vessel and reclaim the treasure. The captain never returned.

Several weeks later, Homer set sail in his little catboat and was never seen at Key West again. A fisherman had seen the old fellow on the beach of Big Pine Key, and a little later a yacht had sighted a man of Homer’s description at Matecumbe Key. A year later a couple of Key Westers met Homer on the beach at Key Largo. The old man had build himself a shack of driftwood and palm fronds, and he seemed fit and hard as nails. The old man was living on Key Largo about five years when it was discovered how he was getting money. A fellow who ran a general store in Miami said that Homer was selling old gold and silver coins, a few at a time, to a coin dealer on Flagler Street. He’d get maybe 50 or 100 dollars for the coins and then go buy what he needed. Then he would sail back to Key Largo. One day in September 1909, old Homer got into his boat and started hoisting the sail. A couple of fishermen told him he’d better stay ashore, because a bad storm was building up. The old fellow wouldn’t listen, and he shoved off and headed north. He was probably making another trip to Miami, but he never got there. That night the storm came howling up the Keys, and Homer was never heard of again. The secret of where the treasure was hidden went with him. Somewhere on Key Largo the rest of that old Spanish treasure is waiting for a second finder

Ref: http://rumshopryan.com/2010/06/01/4-stories-of-buried-treasure-in-key-west-everglades/

OP
OP
G

Golden Clue

Aug 7, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Re: Homer Ludwig's sunk treasure find near Key Largo in the Florida keys?

I find the same story referenced in a post on the old TN site http://www.treasurenet.com/forum/treasurehunting/messages/1008143.shtml

Can anyone suggest help in connecting with the author Jeffrey Kramer?
Being pretty new to all this I figured a good place enquiring it talking to the author of the snippet. Has anyone ever contacted Jeffrey Kramer on any other leads?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Homer Ludwig's sunk treasure find near Key Largo in the Florida keys?

About 30 yrs ago,while camping at Key Largo,I went north up the old highway to an old iron bridge in order to do some night time crabbing.While looking for a place where I might be able to reach the shoreline,I drove to the end of a road that cut through the bush and mangroves to the east of the old highway.Back then,there was nothing but bush for many miles.No canals,no homes,no airfield,nothing but bush.At the end of the right hand fork of the old bush road (shown by the white line on this GE view),I found a couple of old geezers who had a camp set up near the water.
They suggested that I would be better off looking for crabs elsewhere and I took their advice.Wound up catching a few at a small inlet near the bridge.I have often wondered what they were up to out there,since holes had been dug,some fresh,all around their camp and down both sides of the bush road.They sure didn't seem too keen on having visitors drop by.
From this GE view,I would imagine that on-shore t-hunting in the Keys has become much more difficult than it used to be.
Makes me wonder how many construction crews have taken early retirement down there?

Regards:SH.

Attachments

• old treasure digs.jpg
    old treasure digs.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 852

ofrogers

Jun 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ofrogers:

Before putting in too much time on this one, I would suggest looking in F.L. Coffman's 1001 Lost, Buried & Sunken Treasures (1958). IF he is the source...there are probably more likely sunken treasures in Florida waters.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread