gold from 1870 union city,tn train robbery

Dogsoldier

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Have done some researching but not finding a whole lot on the farringtons union city,tn train robbery in 1870.Story goes that while hilary farrington was captured and dying in tn,his brother levi was hiding in farmington,il when captured.Story goes he hid the gold from the robbery around there and it was never recovered,as he was killed in union city not long after capture.Would be curious to know more info but not turning a whole lot up yet,need to start digging thru some old newspapers.

OP
OP
D

Dogsoldier

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
I think I've pretty much found what I could on the internet unless I started buying into membership stuff and whatnot.Going to the library next week to start digging thru newspaper.

K

Kentucky Kache

Dogsoldier said:
I think I've pretty much found what I could on the internet unless I started buying into membership stuff and whatnot.Going to the library next week to start digging thru newspaper.

Many times in smaller areas, you won't find much if any on the net. If the story is true, you'll almost certainly find something at the library and courthouse of that town/county. Don't neglect the section of the library that holds the local stories and personal family writings. Sometimes it will be in legens/lore. Sometimes this will be in the genealogy section, sometimes not. The librarian will be able to direct you. And yes, those old newspapers on microfilm are valuable.

OP
OP
D

Dogsoldier

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
I've already got layers of plat maps for the past 140 years but can't seem to find out more information on the capture,where he was staying,were they relatives or friends,etc.

K

Kentucky Kache

Dogsoldier said:
I've already got layers of plat maps for the past 140 years but can't seem to find out more information on the capture,where he was staying,were they relatives or friends,etc.

I would say check the census records, but if he was hiding out, you wouldn't find him there. I guess the newspapers on microfilm is your best bet, provided you have dates. Still I would check all I could for town/county history, as well as local legend/lore.

Cub

Nov 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have done some researching but not finding a whole lot on the farringtons union city,tn train robbery in 1870.Story goes that while hilary farrington was captured and dying in tn,his brother levi was hiding in farmington,il when captured.Story goes he hid the gold from the robbery around there and it was never recovered,as he was killed in union city not long after capture.Would be curious to know more info but not turning a whole lot up yet,need to start digging thru some old newspapers.

He hid out at Kate Graham's in farmington Illinois but I haven't been able to find out where she lived. I found the Pinkerton wrote a book detailing the entire story.

Cub

Nov 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20201114-185708.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Cub

Nov 14, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20201116-201915.png

Attachments