Lost Spanish Gold in Picketwire Canyon, CO

Dec 18, 2009
Enterprise,AL
I am in the USAF, and have been assigned to Denver, I'm driving up and I am making a stop at Picketwire Canyon in CO to do some treasure hunting since the area is rich with history especially a story of 12 chests of lost spanish gold and numerous relics found. If anyone has some info on this area and stories please share!

Thanks,

Aaron

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
What treasures here do Mammon’s sons behold! - Quarles

Treasure of the Valley of Secrets is one of the most useful books for treasure hunters – and treasure finders – ever written. Sadly, copies are almost unobtainable today.

The cover promises “An incredible, documented story of a Cave of gold that may be worth billions. Intrigue, danger, wealth, history……since 1905. High adventure in the Sangre de Christos!” And the book delivers.

TofVofS is a detailed account of KvonM’s search for and research into this amazing story. Was there an armed military camp located at the headwaters of the Purgatoire (“Picketwire”) River in southern Colorado? Did a crazed genius manufacture three “airships” (dirigibles) as part of a plot to take over the United States? Was this potentially the most violent offshoot of the early 20th Century Western labor movement?

And is there a Cave of Gold located in the Valley of Secrets, covered by a landslide and marketed by trees that fell uphill?

This book won’t answer those questions – although it does provide considerable food for thought.

Nobody has written more useful information for treasure finders than “Karl von Mueller” (Charles Dean and Gladyce M. Miller were the husband and wife writing team “Deek Gladson”). He wrote Sudden Wealth, the Treasure Hunter’s Manuals, The Encyclopedia of Buried Treasure Hunting, the Master Hunter Manual, edited the National PROSPECTOR’s Gazette and Treasure Hunter’s News, the Exanimo Express newspaper, and much more. Those books are rather pricey today – as are first editions of THM #6 & #7. When you start finding and making money then you will want to purchase all of these – but one step at a time.

TofVofS is a blueprint for researching a treasure lead. KvonM lays it all out, one step at a time. It is a remarkably useful guide.

This book also contains almost everything KvonM published about the incredible (there’s that word again!) “LUE” treasure. Those few scattered clues are one reason this little book is so very difficult to locate today.

This book reprints, in full, Chapter LIII of Walter Hurt’s “The Scarlet Shadow; A Story of the Great Colorado Conspiracy” (Girard, Kansas: 1907). Some book listings muddle the names of the two authors. TofVofS was written by Deek Gladson and published by The National PROSPECTOR’s Gazette, Segundo, Colorado, in 1971. There is only one edition (8 ½” x 5 ½”, Wraps).

Finally, this book reminds me of a Sherlock Holmes tale. The title, of course, echoes “The Valley of Fear.” This story parallels some of that novel, as well. There is a criminal mastermind working to take over the government. And there are plucky lads trying to stop him.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Old Bookaroo said:
What treasures here do Mammon’s sons behold! - Quarles

Treasure of the Valley of Secrets is one of the most useful books for treasure hunters – and treasure finders – ever written. Sadly, copies are almost unobtainable today.

The cover promises “An incredible, documented story of a Cave of gold that may be worth billions. Intrigue, danger, wealth, history……since 1905. High adventure in the Sangre de Christos!” And the book delivers.

TofVofS is a detailed account of KvonM’s search for and research into this amazing story. Was there an armed military camp located at the headwaters of the Purgatoire (“Picketwire”) River in southern Colorado? Did a crazed genius manufacture three “airships” (dirigibles) as part of a plot to take over the United States? Was this potentially the most violent offshoot of the early 20th Century Western labor movement?

And is there a Cave of Gold located in the Valley of Secrets, covered by a landslide and marketed by trees that fell uphill?

This book won’t answer those questions – although it does provide considerable food for thought.

Nobody has written more useful information for treasure finders than “Karl von Mueller” (Charles Dean and Gladyce M. Miller were the husband and wife writing team “Deek Gladson”). He wrote Sudden Wealth, the Treasure Hunter’s Manuals, The Encyclopedia of Buried Treasure Hunting, the Master Hunter Manual, edited the National PROSPECTOR’s Gazette and Treasure Hunter’s News, the Exanimo Express newspaper, and much more. Those books are rather pricey today – as are first editions of THM #6 & #7. When you start finding and making money then you will want to purchase all of these – but one step at a time.

TofVofS is a blueprint for researching a treasure lead. KvonM lays it all out, one step at a time. It is a remarkably useful guide.

This book also contains almost everything KvonM published about the incredible (there’s that word again!) “LUE” treasure. Those few scattered clues are one reason this little book is so very difficult to locate today.

This book reprints, in full, Chapter LIII of Walter Hurt’s “The Scarlet Shadow; A Story of the Great Colorado Conspiracy” (Girard, Kansas: 1907). Some book listings muddle the names of the two authors. TofVofS was written by Deek Gladson and published by The National PROSPECTOR’s Gazette, Segundo, Colorado, in 1971. There is only one edition (8 ½” x 5 ½”, Wraps).

Finally, this book reminds me of a Sherlock Holmes tale. The title, of course, echoes “The Valley of Fear.” This story parallels some of that novel, as well. There is a criminal mastermind working to take over the government. And there are plucky lads trying to stop him.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

IMO, TVS is a coded message, as is the strange chapter from Hurt's otherwise bland book.

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California
I visit that area often as my parents live in Cuchara. I've heard about this "cave" and by looking at the Sangre de Christos, you can see that both peaks are covered with rockslides. Hicking then you will also find that they are covered with rocks. There was also an old village at the base of one of the peaks but you will have to look long and hard to find any remnants of it.

My parents place on the Cuchara river.

Attachments

• moms house.jpg
    moms house.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 672

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread