Anyone know about writer Hal Douglas

OP
OP
allenroyboy

allenroyboy

Dec 13, 2006
Montana
yes. Hal (not the actor :) wrote a couple interesting articles and I'd like to learn more about where he got his information if possible. :icon_thumleft:

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
Hal Douglas, this article is in Treasure magazine, personally I think just another story teller.

Attachments

• hd.JPG
    hd.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 280

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Pearless67:

It might be helpful to some if you added the month, year, volume and # of the issue that carried that story.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Old Bookaroo said:
Pearless67:

It might be helpful to some if you added the month, year, volume and # of the issue that carried that story.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Sorry Old Buckaroo, I dont forget on purpose.

The article above appeared in
Treasure, Vol 20. NO 10 October 1989 issue.

The previous article refered to in this edition appeared in the June 1983 issue.

And an earlier Hal Douglas article appeared in an even earlier edition. entitled British Treasures.

British Treasures
Febuary 1980 lost treasure
Hal Douglas

Lost Treasure
Volume 2, NO 12 November 1977
Lost Muskets Caches by Hal Douglas

:coffee2:
PeErless67

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Peerless67:

Thank you very much!

I certainly realize there is information folks here don't want to share. However, I think it's helpful for all if we provide complete citations to books, newspaper and magazine articles, etc.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Peerless67:

I wouldn't say "all." Are you referring to Emile C. Schurmacher's Lost Treasures and How to Find Them! (New York: 1968)?

Most of the "treasure magazine" yarns are a good deal older than that.

The late Bill Hanks, a first-rate treasure hunter and book collector (and a gentleman of the old school) once told me that in his opinion that book had one of the first accounts of the Four Corners "Gold Act" Cache (the "17 Tons of Gold" story). That is a very interesting comment on several levels...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Old Bookaroo said:
Peerless67:

I wouldn't say "all." Are you referring to Emile C. Schurmacher's Lost Treasures and How to Find Them! (New York: 1968)?

Most of the "treasure magazine" yarns are a good deal older than that.

The late Bill Hanks, a first-rate treasure hunter and book collector (and a gentleman of the old school) once told me that in his opinion that book had one of the first accounts of the Four Corners "Gold Act" Cache (the "17 Tons of Gold" story). That is a very interesting comment on several levels...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Hi Bookaroo, I was refering specifically to the 17 tons stories in the magazine. They are simply a rehash of what Shurmacher wrote. And yes I was talking about Shurmachers story in lost treasures and how to find them.
Your friend Bill Hanks was correct to tell you that Shurmachers account was the first, however that does not make it true. Shurmacher did no more than piece together a few bits of info that were already in the public domain and then added a massive amount of poetic licence to give the story some credence.
Its just my opinion but it is no more than a fairy tale based loosely on a true story.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Peerless67:

You got my point - that's one of the levels of interest.

I think there is something there - or, perhaps a bit more correctly, at one time there was something there. For a variety of reasons I would very much doubt that it is still there.

Certainly one problem is that the few nuggets of truth have been contaminated by an overburden of fiction (such as Nazis hiding the plunder).

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Peerless67 said:
....Its just my opinion but it is no more than a fairy tale based loosely on a true story.

As are nearly all the treasure tales found in the public domain - those which aren't total fabrications, that is.

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Hi Springfield, I could not possibly comment on other treasure stories as I do not have enough knowledge of any other than the one I have spent many years researching.
I meant the "17 tons" , "$20 million gold hoard" stories only. I have gathered enough evidence to be convinced it was real. I unearthed a few things that I came across by pure chance/luck that led me to some documents that convinced me that I have found the final place the gold was stored. What I do not know at this stage is whether or not any of it remains at the site. Permissions, logistics and circumstance prevent me from doing what I would like. But as I have said elsewhere I am convinced enough to have stopped looking for a location. Most of my time these days is spent investigating possible sources for the gold, whilst slow preparations are being made for further investigation of the site.
I have the best part of a book completed, but I would not even consider publishing without having found a difinative answer to the question that bugs me every day. Is any of it still there ?

OP
OP
allenroyboy

allenroyboy

Dec 13, 2006
Montana
I called the company that now owns Lost Treasure magazine (and all the other treasure magazines) and asked them about Hal. No one knew anything at all. The editor/s at the time that Hal was published are long since gone or dead. I was hoping someone on TreasureNet might have some info. Hal may be a pseudonym.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Allenroyboy:

Here's a long shot - since you are being diligent about your research.

Check with the Library of Congress (website). They track writers' pen names, and that could lead you to his real name, if, indeed, it was not Hal Douglas.

The other potential source if the US Copyright Office (same theory).

Finally, there are national book card catalogues. You might check those.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread